Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Update - He is at the Bridge :-(

George Update - He is at the Bridge :-(

Some of you know about George, a cat of about 15 years of age whose owner never took him to a vet his whole life. Several months ago, George was peeing so much that his person finally took him in. George is diabetic, and is doing well on 3u of insulin twice a day. He has put on some muscle, and his sweet disposition remains unchanged.

I look in on George when his person is away, which is usually no more than a weekend.

Several days ago, George developed a weepy eye. Eye drops from the vet did no good. George went back to the vet on Friday and he badly needs a dental. One tooth is so rotted that it is causing the eye infection, and several more may need to be pulled as well. It will cost about $1,000.00

I could get angry as all this - the severe infection and heavy financial outlay in a short time - could have been prevented. George's person worked as a musician most of his life, and did other jobs (as opposed to a career), so I understand from my point of view. Plus, the owner is not a mean or malicious person.

The owner will be discussing with his fiancee (a good friend of mine) whether to go ahead with the dental or look at euthanasia. The cost is one thing - George's age is another. Yet George still purrs, talks, bats a paw for his treats (his owner trained him to do that!).

I have emailed the new vet school at the nearby University of Calgary, but the website does not seem to indicate that they will treat a pet as part of the training. But they might know someone who can help.

I think George deserves to enjoy even a couple of years as healthy and pain-free as possible. He has pain meds and antibiotics that I give him twice a day, as well as his insulin. I also soak a piece of folded paper towel in very warm salty water and gently hold it on his eye, giving it a gentle wipe to clean it. Yesterday I got some crusty stuff off...today no crust, but faint red like there was blood in the discharge.

I am giving George the antibiotic directly instead of putting it in his wet food. I hope there will be improvement by tomorrow.

Prayers for poor George, please.
    Last edited by Catty1; 07-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The poor thing! Hopefully he feels somewhat better, and I am sure appreciates the attention. Prayers on the way!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks, Karen.

I just hope he can get the dental and tests ok in the pre-op.

There is someone (not on this board) who owes me $500. That would come in really handy right now!

Thanks again.

I was just over tonight again. His eye is not any WORSE...and he didn't sneeze at all like he did this morning.

I wish I had a pill popper. I got an antibiotic directly into him this morning, but he was having none of it this evening. The painkillers and AB are in his food, and I didn't overfeed him...so if it's gone by morning I'll know it's in his system.

Bathed his eye again, and trimmed his claws - many were broken off. But he purred and I gave him his Greenies treats as a reward.

He is such a sweetheart ...I hope the U of C vet school can recommend someone to do a dental at a lower cost.

Oh how sad. The weepy eye is bad enough but that rotten tooth has got to be painful. Of course, prayers are being sent up right now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers for dear George that he is able to get the medical and dental care he needs. Thank you, Candace, for doing your best for him.

I'll send you a pill popper, if you'd like.

Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Is the Canadian P.O. still on strike?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks, Pat - but his people are home tomorrow morning. I can get one from the kennel I worked at or the HS.

I am going over there shortly. His eye isn't crusting any more so I hope that means the antibiotics are encouraging the stuff to drain.

He is a sweet boy! I'll pass on some PT hugs if I may.

Please do pass on LOADS of PT hugs and scritchies and lovies from us!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

His eye looked much better this morning. It's still closed more than the healthy one, but you can actually SEE the other pretty green eye.

George is not too impressed with me as I am the one that pills him, bathes his eye, tries to put the gel on his spot on his head. Remember that George got all these meds Friday morning, so his person only had to deal with it once. I get to be the bad guy! lol

The diabetes shot is nothing to do compared to all that!

I pray I hear from the U of C vet school and from GE Money in Canada to see if they still have the Credit Care.

Hopefully when the owner sees George looking better, he'll be inclined to give George a chance. When his eye was swollen almost shut and the side of his face had a pus pocket, he sure looked done!

Mary, the strike was over about a week ago. I'll see if I can get a pill popper for his person.

I feel bad opening his mouth because a) George isn't used to it, and b) I am sure it is painful for him.

Thanks everyone...will pass on hugs and lovies!

This is so sad because it all was preventable - and poor George pays the price. Prayers for George, that he'll have more years, happier years, here on Earth. And bless you for being so caring!

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

George, sending many scritchies and cuddles your way.

Good job Candace! Had to laugh as you in the role of "bad guy" - the main one looking out for this boy!

I sure hope that someone will be able to help George to get a dental at a reasonable cost. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Oh, I'm the good guy - but George begs to differ!

I am really glad george has you in his corner Candace, looking after his best interests, the dental is expensive and his age will come in to it , i guess you can only advise and hope they make the right decision,but it is their decision,and it sounds like they won't make a hasty call on this one.

I know what you mean about pilling a cat with a sore mouth, i had to pill ash twice daily and i knew he had a sore mouth and he was the worst cat i have ever had to pill in my life, he fought me every time, even after two years, it never got better , luckily when ellie needed pilling 3times daily she was a breeze, so you have my empathy there and good luck with it.

You got to be cruel to be kind sometimes.

Anyhow all the best and keep us updated on his progress and the outcome which i really hope is positive.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️