Thread: We have a Lake in our Basement

We have a Lake in our Basement

ugg. Doug got home at 11:30 last night from work and ran down stairs to check on something. I then suddenly hear him yell "Nick". I rush down stairs to encounter a lake. Ugg. Only about 1/2 a foot of water but still. There is a positive to this scenario(I always try to find the positive), it is not sewer water. It is all clear. So we go up and call the landlord. He is not the least bit angry. He knows we usually fix issues ourselves or call him at a convient time for supplies and fix things. He says we are his favorite tenants and the owners too. lol

He says it is a burst pipe somewhere in the walls. So Doug had to phone in to work this morning so that he can be here to help move furniture when the carpet guy gets here. And the plumber will be here too at some point today hopefully. Because our water is shut off right now. We know that it was fine down there on the afternoon of Thursday because Doug had gone down to get something from the freezer and would have easily seen then if there was an issue. So it happened sometime that night or yesterday. We don't go down there every day. Luckily we do not have a lot of stuff down there and what we do have after drying out will be ok. If it had been sewer water then all of it would have had to be chucked. See there is a silver lining. lol

Oh, what a drag. I hope this can all be fixed up without too much trouble for you and Doug. And I'm glad it wasn't worse for you, e.g., sewer water.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

THanks. I think everything will dry out fine since it was clean clear water. The carpet cleaner is here. He is going to suck up all the water today and put down fans to help dry it. But he says he is going to have to come back to screw the carpet with something to ensure it doesn't turn brown or mold up and such. He wants to do that part after the plumber has been here. And since the landlord has not been able to get ahold of the plumber yet that could be Monday or so.

What are you doing for H2O if it's off? Bummer. That would be one of my worse nightmares.

I've been Boooo'd!

Landlord told us to turn it on for only as long as we need it. Like flushing the toliet, washing dishes and so on. Then turn it off agian. To try and use it as little as possible till the plumber comes. No sign of the plumber today. Fingers crossed he shows up tomorrow.

Still no clear answer as to where the water came from. The plumbers came and checked things out today. Their opinion is it is from the air conditioner. But the problem the landlord has with that is the hose for the airconditioner runoff is pointed right at the drain. Which is in front of the bathroom door. Yet the room that was the most full of water was on the other side of the back wall of the bathrrom, behind the tub. And the current of water was coming from the corner of the wall where the tub is. Yet the hose is no where near that area and is in the opposite direction. So no clear answers yet but the downstairs is now almost completely dry which is a good thing.