Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Preggo kitty wandered onto my porch! *started a new thread*

From what I've read the only thing they need for the rest of their lives is L-Lysine. Their own immune system usually does the job of controlling the virus, which is why they have flare-ups during times of stress when the immune system is suppressed. They will probably need antibiotics when they have a flare-up to control any secondary bacterial infections.

I'm sure they would benefit from Rescue Remedy & Feliway when they are prone to stress, too.

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind and found my soul." -Unknown

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
    - George Eliot

Exposures

I bet cats get exposed to all types of viruses etc. and if they are healthy and LUCKY their immune system fights them off nicely. We never know what their exposure is unless they come down with the illness.

I once had a cat that was a carrier of a disease and shared it with me, but the other cats did not get it, although they were exposed to it. It was ring worm.

I hope your little guys will build up an immunity to the virus and be ok.

Any news on the kittens? They must be coming soon. Can't wait for the photos. Hint, hint.

Keep us posted!

No kittens yet. And when they do come, I will definitely take pictures..

We had an "arguement" over her attempting to jump in the window... I was trying to tell her that she was in no condition to be trying to jump that high but she thought otherwise. So I had to block the window off from her to remove the temptation. She just made me so nervous - I guess most animals don't recognize their physical limitations which is why I need to make sure she has a completely safe environment. Just never thought she would be so interested in the window. She probably misses the outdoors.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
    - George Eliot

Oops! Sorry for no updates, even though there's nothing really to update on. No babies. She looks exhausted today but still waddles over to say hi. She wasn't as excited about her wet food as she usually is. Hoping it's related to being pregnant and not some new issue. She's been enjoying her window time a few times every day.

I am going to start working on getting some good new pics of her. The bathroom lighting isn't the greatest and I can't use the flash because it bugs her eye so it's a little tricky. I promise I will post them when/if I get them, though.

- George Eliot

I've checked in several times today hoping for babies news. Sounds like she is very close.
    Wanted to tell you too, that I have a herpes cat. We call him Snot-nose Fred I have several other cats and not one of them has been affected. Fred's been with us since he was about 5 mos. old and he's 4 yrs old now. I tried the L-lysine for several months but I couldn't see that it helped him. He's been on so many different antibiotics in his life, none give him any relief. Despite his runny, sneezie nose he's a very happy boy.

Mary

Sorry to leave you hanging Purr-tender! That's so good to hear about your herpes kitty. Hearing stories like yours gives me hope about Sophia and the kittens' future.

- George Eliot

Sophia is still pregnant. I've been trying to spend all the good quality time with her I can because I know she'll be constantly busy with the kittens for a good while.

- George Eliot

Come on Miss Sophia, we are waiting to meet your little ones! I remember when my Annabelle was extremely pregnant (I rescued her in that condition) she was a mess. She would use her bed for a litter box and other strange things. I think this was her first (and last!) and she didn't know what was happening to her. I even took her back to the vet thinking there was something wrong with her. I helped her deliver each one and helped clean them up for her. She had 7 babies! Only 5 were live births. Each one was beautiful like their mama. One of the hardest things to do was to let them go to new homes when they were old enough! Annabelle is our show cat, not literally, but she is a raving beauty!
    Can't wait to see Sophia's babies! Glad you're giving her extra lovins' She's a lucky girl!

I think she's going to take her sweet time with these kittens. LOL.

Miss Sophia is a bit like your Annabelle was. I have the litterbox in a dog kennel that is lined with puppy pads so I can just toss those out when she misses the litterbox. She does seem to understand the concept of using it pretty well, but most of the pregnant cats I've cleaned up after seem to have aiming issues, probably due to their drastically increased girth.

7 kittens... I really hope Soph's litter is much smaller! So sorry about the stillborns, that is a part I am dreading. But glad that you were able to find your beautiful litter of kittens homes, no matter how hard it was. That is also a part I am dreading!

And hey - Anabelle might just like being a "real" show cat... you never know 'til you try it! I am always trying to encourage people to enter their cats in shows as Household Pets because I love to demonstrate that there are beautiful, loving, unique cats on the street & in shelters, too.

- George Eliot

No kittens, but some new Sophia pics!

Her ulcerated eye is much better. She keeps it open normally 90% of the time. The reason she's squinty in some of the pics is because of the flash. You can definitely see the ulcer in the photos though.

"Can I stop being pregnant now? Pretty please?"

A good shot of the ulcer

Belly shot

See - she's not always super squinty!

and I'm going to sneak in a Buddy pic from one of our recent walks. Isn't he handsome?

- George Eliot

At first I thought that Sophia had her kittens. She sure is a pretty girl and will hopefully have them soon. Buddy is so handsome. As you probably already know, I'm a huge orangie fan.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    At first I thought that Sophia had her kittens. She sure is a pretty girl and will hopefully have them soon. Buddy is so handsome. As you probably already know, I'm a huge orangie fan.
    Sorry to get your hopes up!! I know every time I wake up in the morning I get excited and want to go see if she had them during the night. I'm trying to be patient but it's hard.

Thank you. I love orangies as well. How could you not?

- George Eliot

How can you not love an orangey? C'mon!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Such sweeties!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Are you sure she's pregnant? A few years ago I had this cat who I could have sworn was pregnant, but she was just fat!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb