Thread: Sky & Ziggy's Vet Visit & Important Info About Hyperthyroidism Pills

Sky & Ziggy's Vet Visit & Important Info About Hyperthyroidism Pills

Today both Sky and Ziggy went to the vet for their annual exams. Ziggy cried the whole way in the car but Sky was very quiet. When I got there, Sky started crying because he wanted to be let out of his carrier so he could see everyone. He loves people.

Ziggy got weighed first and now weighs 14.62lbs which my vet said she's okay with. Last year she weighed a whopping 15.9lbs. I then put her on a strict diet and she was weighed about 1 month later and she weighed in at 14.6lbs so she's basically been able to maintain this new weight. I just have to face the fact that she's a big girl. My vet said that her overall health is excellent.

Sky was weighed next and he's only 11.95lbs. Last year he was also a bit too heavy at 13.5lbs. My vet also said that his overall health is excellent. When both Ziggy and Sky were weighed last year they had been eating Innova Evo dry food and Innova Evo canned food. Now they eat Wellness Core dry and mainly Wellness grain free canned. Wellness Core does have a little less fat than Innova Evo and Sky doesn't have to eat very much of it to stay satisfied. Ziggy would eat a lot more if I let her so I always have to watch her to make sure she doesn't steal the other cats food.

I also wanted to get some more of Storm's hyperthyroid pills. He was on Tapazole 5mg and he would get 1/2 of a pill 2 times a day. I just learned today that it's not good for my health to cut his pills because by touching them they can cause harm to my liver and kidneys. The woman in the pharmacy said that they were just recently informed about this. She gave me gloves and a mask to wear so I can still cut up Storm's remaining pills. I had been washing my hands thoroughly after I cut them in half.

They have now had to refomulate the pills to a smaller pill so I won't have to cut them in half. They are now the generic form of Tapazole called Methimazole and they have a pink coating on them. They only had 7 available to give me today so they'll mail me the rest,193, at no charge. The new bottle has labels that say do not crush,wear gloves to apply, and do not handle if pregnant. If any one else is giving these kinds of pills to their cats then please be careful when handling them.

I'm so glad that both Sky and Ziggy are in good health. Now I also hope that Alani's and Blaze's annual exams will go well when they go in August. I think that Blaze is already ready to go. When I got home and I let out both Sky and Ziggy, I went into my room for a bit and when I came out Blaze was sitting in one of the carriers and he didn't want to get out of it.LOL Silly cat.

Good for you, helping get the weights under control! I am impressed, as I know how tough this can be in a multi cat household. HOORAY for overall excellent health reports on both!!!!

Thanks for passing along that info, I've had cats on both those meds in the past. Great, now I have ME to worry about, ha haaa.

Blaze isn't ready for the vet per se, he just enjoys having folks ooh and ahh over him!

Yay for Sky and Ziggy!!!

That's good to know about that medicine. Thanks for sharing.

I love big kitties, but I'm afraid I have two small kitties now. But I still love them. I'mcurious to see how much Jax weighs at his appointment, also in August. Paizly has maintained her 8lbs figure for over a year now. She looks heavier, but when you pick her up she just feels hollow. LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Tapazole

Geez, I gave my Kalli tapazole for years, but that was a long,long time ago. What worries me is: if it's so dangerous for my liver & kidneys to handle, what's it doing to the cat's liver and kidneys???

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

I'm so glad to hear to hear about Sky and Ziggy's excellent health reports and that their weight is stable. You must be doing all the right things. I can imagine how difficult it is to feed a multible cat household.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Geez, I gave my Kalli tapazole for years, but that was a long,long time ago. What worries me is: if it's so dangerous for my liver & kidneys to handle, what's it doing to the cat's liver and kidneys???
    Yes, I wonder too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I'm so glad to hear to hear about Sky and Ziggy's excellent health reports and that their weight is stable. You must be doing all the right things. I can imagine how difficult it is to feed a multible cat household.
    Thanks Randi. It can be very challeging at times.

Thanks Sandi and Cindy too.

My oldie but goodie Barty Boy is on Methamizole liquid. I tried the pills just about every way you can imagine. The liquid is chicken flavored and goes down very smoothly.

He's being treated by a Holistic Veterinarian. He goes in for a re-check to see how his liver and kidneys are functioning. Although he's at risk for kidney problems because of the methamizole, it beats the alternative.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!