Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temptation, temptation!

Temptation, temptation!

We all know better than to cruise Petfinder while eating lunch at our desk, right?

Well, I ignored the logical part of my mind yesterday and cruised, hitting the special needs and senior cats buttons. The second cat on the list was this one:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19916668

I spent the afternoon clicking on his profile then telling myself I couldn't afford to adopt a cat, then trying to work. Finally, I called the pet grooming salon where they have a small adoption center for pets from animal control. The person I talked to didn't know much about him but it was obvious he was truly special needs.

I slept on it. Now, like the rest of us here, I'm very used to seeing scores of cats I can't adopt or even foster because my financial resources and time are very limited, but this guy would not leave my mind.

I called Animal Control and spoke to someone who knew a great deal more about him, and she was thrilled after she talked to me that I had an interest in Smokey. She put me in touch with the Animal Control Officer who had picked him up originally.

Apparently, he's the subject of an animal cruelty case because his coat was so matted he could barely move. He was an outdoor cat, but owned. They have been trying to help him and find him a home for 3 months because, in spite of all his problems, he's such a sweet natured cat they can't bear to give up on him even though they are crowded. He was seen by a local rescue group's vet who hoped shaving the mats would allow him to walk properly but he has neurological damage of some kind in his hind end so he's really wobbly.

He's mature, about 12, wobbly, can't always use the litter box properly, so OF COURSE he's my kind of cat. I'm going to the adoption center tonight to visit him. I wonder what will happen.......

Is there a way to block being able to open Petfinder on your computer?

He sounds like a darling and deserves a loving home like yours Good luck~
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I wonder if he's a CH kitty, and has always been a bit wobbly, that would account for not only the wobble, but the tendency to get matts because he couldn't groom himself properly. Anyway, he is gorgeous, let us know how it goes!
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, I think there's going to be a new addition to the pet talk family!!!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Awwww...... Sweet Smokey, you might not know it yet, but your life is going to get a lot better real soon. Your last years will be with love and dignity.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I too was thinking CH as a possibility.

A cat who doesn't use the litter box, or can't, does need a special home.

Oh, please..... !!!!!!

Lord, please bring this kitty home here!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

He doesn't have CH, and it might be better if he did. I have a cat with CH; Mother Nature gave her the condition which she lives with very well. Some human abused this cat through extreme neglect. They didn't bind his hind legs together with duct tape, it's true, but they allowed his coat to become so totally matted that his back legs were welded together as one. The muscles in his back legs have atrophied from lack of use and we don't know how much use he will get back after being unable to use them for a long time. I'll be talking to my vet about massage, stretching exercises, hydrotherapy, etc.

He does have some general neurological damage also, whether due to a medical condition, trauma or neglect they can't tell. It causes him to jerk one of front legs out occasionally and makes it hard for him to chew. I'm sure there is more but I had only one evening to observe him.

In spite of all this neglect and the physical problems he faces constantly, he is extremely sweet natured and very positive. He does enjoy attention but after some fuss he's off to explore. He's truly one of those lemons=delicious lemonade souls. No wonder they kept hanging on to him.

I could hardly walk away from a cat like that could I? Could you? I'd meant to visit and discuss, and I did at first, even asking if another rescue could put him out for adoption (it had been tried) or why one of them couldn't take him. I visited, talked and thought for about 30 minutes and when I asked for the paperwork and commented my vet would still be open if they wanted a reference, they simply got out a little receipt book to write my name and phone number and said he was mine, no charge. I was shocked. I didn't have a carrier and they didn't have any to purchase so we put him on the back seat of my car until I could get to a pet store. But he just lay there perfectly at ease so I drove home like that.

He's extremely thin and you can see every vertebrae. I was surprised because he's been in care for 3 months but I think I know what must have happened. He loves wet food and stormed through 2 cans of Fancy Feast last night and 2 more this morning. I think while he was in care he was fed mostly dry food because he doesn't poop inside a litter box. Since he finds dry food hard to chew, he wasn't really eating enough although he did gain 8 ounces over 3 months.

He won't be called Smokey for long but I have to find the right name for a cat who has coped with so many bad things happening to him and still has a very positive and energetic outlook.

Thank you for being able to adopt Smokey. He sounds like a real sweetheart and I'm sure that he'll thrive in your care. I'm sure you'll come up with a wonderful new name for him. Good luck.

Thank you for seeing the soul of this little one & giving him a chance
    for a better life. He sounds like he is overdue for a little individual
    TLC.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am so proud of you!! Not many people would be willing to take in an animal with specials needs. Smokey is so very blessed to have a guardian angel! I am sure he will blossom in your care.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    He won't be called Smokey for long but I have to find the right name for a cat who has coped with so many bad things happening to him and still has a very positive and energetic outlook.
    Maybe Christy - after Christy Brown, the man whose life became the movie My Left Foot?
    I've Been Frosted

I am so happy for both of you! Happy tears are in my eyes. Whatever you name him, he is one lucky guy! Please keep us updated on his progress. I think he will do very well in your loving home!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Smokey sounds like a real sweetheart! How wonderful to know that he will now know nothing but love in his purrfect furever home.

Welcome to PT, Smokey! PT kitties get only the very best of everything. I'm sending you tons of lovies and look forward to seeing more pictures of you

Thank you and bless you for helping this beautiful kitty!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I wonder if he's a CH kitty, and has always been a bit wobbly, that would account for not only the wobble, but the tendency to get mats because he couldn't groom himself properly. Anyway, he is gorgeous, let us know how it goes!
    That is what I was thinking too... maybe he's a CH kitty. He is so beautiful! Hi, Smokey!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678