Thread: Homesick Puppy

Homesick Puppy

I think Zoey is homesick. She has been good all day but now since it got dark and she has been here for a whole day she keeps going to the window and crying. She has been outside, had her dinner, had treats, played toys with her and she doesn't want to seem to settle. She will probably be fine once we go to bed but until then nothing seems to help and it is too early for me to go to bed.

She is such a love though.

Will she sit with you, or next to you, so you can give long slow calming strokes?

I've had to do this w/ Pebbles for the past half hour, working alright for us.

I know this sounds mean but I wouldn't coddle her, although it seems nice to do for her but it actual makes the anxiety worse. I am sure she'll settle down. Give her a kiss for me.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    I know this sounds mean but I wouldn't coddle her, although it seems nice to do for her but it actual makes the anxiety worse. I am sure she'll settle down. Give her a kiss for me.
    I agree. As difficult as it might be.....try to just go on about the house as usual. Don't necessarily ignore her, just don't coddle (like luvofallhorses said). Extra play time is good. Get her good and tired so she'll sleep good when bedtime comes.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I know! I know! But it's so hard not to want to coddle and calm. I know the rules (ie: Mz Logan and storms) and I sit on my hands and want to cry.

I hope by now Zoey has settled down. Is she sleeping in your room? Poor confused baby. It'll be OK.

Zoey.. when I was young, I got homesick at sleepovers and sometimes had to go home.

I've been Boooo'd!

She did finally lay down and sleep at my feet while I was watching television. And, yes, she slept in bed with me and Buddy and Mama. Once she got to sleep she was fine. I almost think she is a bit bored too. She is used to having the other dog to hang with and play with.

I got up to go to the bathroom this morning before 6 a.m. and she was UP. We went outside and I gave her breakfast and now she is chewing on a bone. There was a "noise" in the mudroom and she jumped up into my chair with me. She is a bit of a sissy dog - LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    There was a "noise" in the mudroom and she jumped up into my chair with me. She is a bit of a sissy dog - LOL.
    Oh how cute! YOU didn't want to investigate "the noise???"

Pebbles is used to living just her, her mom, and 2 cats. In the evenings, she sits next to Chris on the sofa while Chris watches TV, reads or uses her laptop. So for her, I think having her up with me was OK, it is what she is used to.

She slept fine in her crate all night and is now demanding attention -- again. ONLY dogs DO get spoiled, he heee. She will learn a different way of things this week, with pups to play with, not humans!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Oh how cute! YOU didn't want to investigate "the noise???"

Pebbles is used to living just her, her mom, and 2 cats. In the evenings, she sits next to Chris on the sofa while Chris watches TV, reads or uses her laptop. So for her, I think having her up with me was OK, it is what she is used to.

She slept fine in her crate all night and is now demanding attention -- again. ONLY dogs DO get spoiled, he heee. She will learn a different way of things this week, with pups to play with, not humans!
    Oh, I would have investigated the noise but I had a 60 pound Labrador on my lap LOL! I am sure it was one of the cats. There is always something falling or being knocked over by them.

Dear Auntie Happylabs,
    I need a Zoey girl fix if you have a photo, please.
    loyal fan of Tinker, Mama, Buddy, and Zoey---
    elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Dear Auntie Happylabs,
    I need a Zoey girl fix if you have a photo, please.
    loyal fan of Tinker, Mama, Buddy, and Zoey---
    elyse

I got some pics and videos but didn't get a chance to upload them yet. I think I did post a couple on FB.
    I'm doing the work thing today so maybe tonight I will have time to post them.