Thread: Luxating Patellas in Surya

Luxating Patellas in Surya

As if Surya doesn't have enough to put up with since he has radial hypoplasia so can't use his front legs, and his retinas are so degenerated he can barely see, his hind legs have developed luxating patellas. During his semi-annual check-up last week I talked to the vet about him not jumping around any more, not even jumping up on the sofa very often, and that he seems to be moving more low to the ground using the wrists of his deformed front legs as paddles (no sores or problems there.) The vet gave a thorough examination of Surya's hind legs and hips and said that though his hips were fine, he could feel his patellas popping in and out of the groove. Surya showed no indication of pain but the vet believes he understands the lack of stability in his legs and so is more careful to move low and slow.

Has anyone else gone through this with a cat? I know it's far more common in dogs.

The vet and I discussed using Metacam and the fact that a number of vets feel it should be used only once as treatment or very short term. However, our experience has been that it hasn't caused any problems in cats we've seen treated so Surya will be on Metacam. I'll give him Cosequin also because it's made a huge difference in a foster cat, Challenge, even though there is no scientific evidence to prove its efficacy. It will be interesting to see if he starts kangaroo jumping around again after some weeks of treatment - though the other cats would rather he stay low and slow I'm sure.

Any suggestions for medications or treatments? I know surgery is possible but the vet didn't even suggest it at this point since there is no pain.

I've only ever heard of this in dogs. I didn't know cats COULD have this issue!

In dogs, there are 5 grades. Grade 1 is normally treated by having the dog on total bed rest for 4 to 6 weeks, to allow things to heal and get the swelling down. Grade 2 may use meds. Grades 4 and 5 are when they talk surgery.

Please give Surya some chin rubs from me.

I had never heard of it in cats but had a couple of Poms that had it.. Unfortunatley both died very young before they ever had to have their surgery. I hope that the Metacam helps and he is up hopping around like before! I sure love that little guy!
    Melissa

We are sorry that Surya is having so many haelth issues.
    We are asking Our Angels to visit Surya to comfort him, and be by his side
    Surya is such a Great Cat
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I should have done this before, here are the links to the info:
    http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/luxpat/home.htm