Thread: For those here who take OTC supplements

For those here who take OTC supplements

NY state has tested OTC dietary supplements from major retailers and found that they contain (drumroll please)

nothing.

Rice, garlic, other fillers, but nothing listed on the label.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...etailers/?_r=0
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

That's downright fraud! Is the Attorney General going to pursue them?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    That's downright fraud! Is the Attorney General going to pursue them?
    AG Schneiderman has issued cease and desist orders to the companies investigated, basically telling them to pull the products from the shelves. Orrin Hatch, Sen, Utah, has firmly blocked any federal regulation of the supplement market due to campaign contributions from GNC and others.

Yet more reasons for public financing of political campaigns.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Well that's a surprise. 0.0 The only OTC 'supplement' I take is melatonin, which is pretty controversial anyways due to studies being unable to demonstrate that it works. I'd be pretty furious if I found out that something was taking was actually....nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    AG Schneiderman has issued cease and desist orders to the companies investigated, basically telling them to pull the products from the shelves. Orrin Hatch, Sen, Utah, has firmly blocked any federal regulation of the supplement market due to campaign contributions from GNC and others.

Yet more reasons for public financing of political campaigns.
    Isn't that the whole point of campaign contributions?

You get a promise with your purchase and nothing happens afterwards?

Snakemama, what I have heard about Melatonin, is that it's a natural hormone that older people have less of, and it's supposed to be the healthiest sleep aid there is. It's not very stong. My nurse neighbor told me about it and now I looked it up. See below:
    http://www.livescience.com/42066-mel...ent-facts.html

Another good sleep aid is leafs of Valerian - you use it for tea. My friend from Greece, who is a Nutritionist, brought me some. I think it does help a little.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Snakemama, what I have heard about Melatonin, is that it's a natural hormone that older people have less of, and it's supposed to be the healthiest sleep aid there is. It's not very stong. My nurse neighbor told me about it and now I looked it up. See below:
    http://www.livescience.com/42066-mel...ent-facts.html

Another good sleep aid is leafs of Valerian - you use it for tea. My friend from Greece, who is a Nutritionist, brought me some. I think it does help a little.
    Wow, thank you for linking that article. I'm going to have to look into it further...I've only been taking Melatonin on nights when I'm wired and can feel that I'll have trouble falling asleep, but I might start taking it more regularly now.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were heavy metals contamination in them too.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I wonder why they chose to start with store brands, rather than the brands which are sold in many stores?

The consumer is really on her own when purchasing supplements. Doing the background research, to find out where to purchase, is time consuming and many of us don't have the expertise to investigate.

Leaves and Roots www.leavesandroots.com is a reputable supplier, as is Mountain Rose herbs.

I take some many supplements at this point, it is like a pharmacy around here!

Magnesium citrate
    Vitamin B3
    Vitamin D3
    Biotin
    Zinc
    Centrum multi vitamin
    CoQ10
    and Schiff's Move Free Advanced - glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM

Along with 7 prescriptions daily. Aging is not fun!

The store brands are routinely packaged by one manufacturer for multiple outlets. All that changes is the label.

I have to take Vitamin D3 2000 units per day. The story mentioned herbals and not vitamins. I hope my D3 is safe.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)