Thread: Dog Food Questions

Dog Food Questions

The new puppy thread got me thinking and I would like to find something better for my choice of dog food. Price is going to be a large factor so I was wondering how much you spend on dog food, how long does a bag last, and what size is your dog. I also have to consider travel time and cost to pick up dog food since my town size is rather small, would probably have to drive 45 minutes for food. I have considered buying online and if anyone does or has tried that how well does it work?

http://petoftheday.com/talk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32038&dateline=129651  4765
    My Family left to right Riku - Lynx Point Siamese mix, Riley - Domestic Short Hair Tabby, Phoebe - Domestic Medium Hair Tabby, Foxy - Australian Cattle Dog mix - March 2001 - September 15, 2012, Autumn - Labrador Retriever Mix
    Dear Husband and Myself - homo sapiens - James and Becky

Here are some resources I suggest:
    1. Researching foods:
    www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Reading the reviews will help you learn how to read labels, and what to look for in a food.

2. The Whole Pet Diet, by Andi Brown. I found this at my library; liked it so much, I bought a copy from amazon.com She explains what each herb does, what it is good FOR, which is very helpful. Includes recipes, too -- like Spot's Stew. Yes, she started Halo pet foods company, but the book does not just direct you to that food. It teaches you so you can use any food, supplement it, or make your own.

3. If you are in USA, you can buy the high quality foods at really great prices from:
    www.doggiefood.com

Shipping is $4.95; and if you "like" them on Facebook, they offer free shipping about once a month. They are local to me, so I go down to the warehouse once a month and buy all the cat and dog foods, treats, etc. that I need. I have taken them up on free shipping offers a few times, as well.

Even w/ the shipping, I think you will find the same size bags of Innova and Blue Buffalo will cost you less this way.

Read more: http://www.agilityunleashed.proboard...#ixzz1PTFl4UHe

If price is an issue I find 4Health food to be a great value for its quality. Its what I recommended my mom to feed. Do you have a tractor supply near you? It's $30 for a 35 pound bag.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-dog-food-dry/
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I feed my two Acana; Orijen is another one I really like made by the same company. It is a little pricier, about 35$ per 20 pounds I believe. BUT just remember, you tend to feed your dogs a less amount when feeding high quality foods (because there are no fillers). So, prices aren't quite as different as they may seem because they last longer.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

We feed raw. Depending on where we get our meat that month, it could go from free, to about 50 dollars a month for two fifty pound dogs. Lol

If I were to feed kibble, I would look into Wellness Core, Canidae, Solid Gold, or Nature's Variety. My in laws beagle was on Taste of the Wild for a bit and recently switched to Nature's Variety. If I didn't have diet restrictions, I would probably feed Acana or Orijen.

If you're interested in looking into other alternatives, check out The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated, Dr. Harvey's mix, Grandma Lucy's dehydrated.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Thank You for the suggestions. We have a Tractor Supply Store about 45 minutes away and the 4health dog food really sounds like a great option. I used to use Maxximum Nutrition which wasn't the best but the best brand you could get at Wal Mart but I can't get that anymore. The problem is trying to convince DH that a better quality dog food would be worth it.

ETA- I have been looking at Diamond Naturals now. I can get it in the same town I work at and it seems to be much better than what I feed now.
    Last edited by JMCsGirl; 06-17-2011 at 01:03 PM.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32038&dateline=129651  4765
    My Family left to right Riku - Lynx Point Siamese mix, Riley - Domestic Short Hair Tabby, Phoebe - Domestic Medium Hair Tabby, Foxy - Australian Cattle Dog mix - March 2001 - September 15, 2012, Autumn - Labrador Retriever Mix

All I think of when I hear Diamond dog food is "ewww, made in china recall kibble"
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

On Diamond's web site it says made in USA so I would like to know where you got the information that it is made in China. Also as far as the recall I really think it could happen to anyone. The contamination was corn based and the Naturals line does not have corn in the food. Yes it was terrible and I would hate for it to happen but I do not believe they will let it happen again. Such a mistake a second time would surely be putting the final nail in their coffin.