Thread: Who says cats aren't as smart as dogs?

Who says cats aren't as smart as dogs?

I thought it would be cool if I could teach Maui some tricks. And ya know what? He learned how to "sit" on command and he also learned how to "sit up" on command, like a dog. It's amazing. I had never thought to train him like that until he learned what "on the bed" means. I can tell him to go "on the bed" at any piece of furniture in my house and he will jump up on it and sit. This comes in handy when I vacuum! lol.

Does anyone else's cats know how to do tricks?

Mine remember through repetition of situations and word associations. I have not intended to teach them any tricks, but I'm sure some of them could learn, if I worked with them. Most of them do obey simple commands, like "get back", "you cats wanna eat?" or, "I going to bed for the night".

........wayne

I think my cats have taught ME a few tricks. HEE HEE

I have to agree with jenluckenbach, Emily has taught me more "tricks" than I will ever teach her

My cats strictly decline to learn tricks. This is why I think they are more intelligent than dogs (By the way, I love dogs too...My own family is a dog family. My sister breeds Dachshunds and my parents have one)

Originally posted by Barbara
    My cats strictly decline to learn tricks. This is why I think they are more intelligent than dogs (By the way, I love dogs too...My own family is a dog family. My sister breeds Dachshunds and my parents have one)
    I have to agree...cats are just more dignified...they don't need our love...they just accept it.

BTW, I love dachshunds...they are really smart dogs, at least in my experience. One day....
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Of course cats are as smart as dogs !!! They just have complete different characters ... If they think "NO" , it is defenitely a "NO" !!
    A cat has her very own way of thinking ; she desides for you , and not otherwise !!

Good Points. My old cat would (if he could've) probably have flipped me off...but Maui, eh, he's one strange cat

We have a neighbor cat that is just a year younger than Sid and they played together when they were young, so he thinks of himself as a part-time member of our family. He used to come in to get some of their food (this guy mooches off of a lot of people - and yes, his humans know, I woudn't feed someone else's cat without their knowledge)

Anyway, so we made a game out of it and made him do a trick to get his food. He would have to turn in a circle two times to get his treat.

Then one day, he wised up and looked at us as if to say "Enough is Enough - I'm not doing your stupid trick anymore - and yes, you WILL continue to feed me!"