Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: adopting a mix breed, any info?

As a first time "all by myself" owner, I suggest you read Patricia McConnell's book, The Other End of the Leash. I found it at my library, liked it so much I bought a copy on amazon.com

Any word from your landlord yet? Do you have a "Coming Home" date yet? Oh you must be so excited!!!

Sorry but I am not seeing the GSD personally. Enjoy your pup, he will be a lot of work but worth it.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

we brought him home on monday, told my landlord yesterday. she wasn't too fond of his size but okay'd us having him.

took him too the dog park yesterday. there were all sorts of dogs there and he got along with them all. he wanted too run a nd play with them but he isnt ready to be off his leash yet

Thank you Freedom

I'd have to agree with malinois. The way the coat lays around different parts of the body just seems more malinois-like. It actually reminds me of my friend's greyhound with the twist in the coat on the front legs. Very cat-like feet too like a malinois. You never know with a mix though unless the shelter knew the parents. There actually aren't too many features that stand out as great dane to me either.

I'm not meaning to be mean to the dog or you by this. He's got the potential of every other dog out there to be a perfectly fine companion and your best friend. Its great that you found a rescue dog that you connected with. I just want you to know that he may not exactly be a mix of the two breeds you expect unless the shelter knows for sure, so don't make all of your judgements throughout his life based on the breeds you think he is.
    Last edited by IRescue452; 05-25-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Please don't take him to the dog park unless he is updated with all of his vaccines. Malinois are A LOT A LOT of dog like I said. How is his energy? If he infact does have Malinois in him, you need to put him in some kind of sport like Schutzhund or something. He needs to be worked with a lot. I know he is just a pup, but pups can do Schutzhund which is basically for personal protection. I would look into clubs in your area.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhund

There is a forum I can recommend to you if you want, a lot of Malinois owners there and they can give you some advice how to work him and that.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I'd have to agree with malinois. The way the coat lays around different parts of the body just seems more malinois-like. It actually reminds me of my friend's greyhound with the twist in the coat on the front legs. Very cat-like feet too like a malinois. You never know with a mix though unless the shelter knew the parents. There actually aren't too many features that stand out as great dane to me either.

I'm not meaning to be mean to the dog or you by this. He's got the potential of every other dog out there to be a perfectly fine companion and your best friend. Its great that you found a rescue dog that you connected with. I just want you to know that he may not exactly be a mix of the two breeds you expect unless the shelter knows for sure, so don't make all of your judgements throughout his life based on the breeds you think he is.
    My info is based off of what the shelter knew, but doesn't nessecarily mean they know it for a fact. And don't worry, I didn't take it as being rude : )

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    Please don't take him to the dog park unless he is updated with all of his vaccines. Malinois are A LOT A LOT of dog like I said. How is his energy? If he infact does have Malinois in him, you need to put him in some kind of sport like Schutzhund or something. He needs to be worked with a lot. I know he is just a pup, but pups can do Schutzhund which is basically for personal protection. I would look into clubs in your area.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhund

There is a forum I can recommend to you if you want, a lot of Malinois owners there and they can give you some advice how to work him and that.
    He is completely up to date on all shots and vaccinations. The place we adopted him from is more of a humane society than a shelter, and all those things are included in his adoption fee. I wouldn't want him spreading or catching anything! we are taking him to the vet next thursday, just to have him checked out and get his file started for his routine visits.
    His energy level is very high. I take him for two long runs a day, multiple walks through out the day, and I let him run around in our backyard. I also play with him a lot.

I looked up the Malinois and I think your're right. The color is the same and the distinctions in the face look a lot alike too.

He's STUNNING! What a good looking dog!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Thank You!

He is a cutee!!! Congratulations on your new puppy. He will change your life. I agree with freedom if you are looking for books Patricia McConnell is a great author. Her book helped me tremendously with training when I first got my dog.
    I've Been Frosted!

Thank you Wan, he's changing our live's already!