Thread: Mutilating tail after being shaved!!

Mutilating tail after being shaved!!

Oh this is by far the most stressful thing I have experienced in all of my parenting!! Of my 2 cats, Bella and Semper this is Semper's first time (and last) being shaved. Everytime Bella's been shaved they leave her tail alone. Same vet shaved Semper's and he is totally freaking out. He is attacking his tail, he's completely lost it. I came home yesterday and there was blood smeared on the floors, spatter on the walls, appliances. His tail dripping in blood. After several hours of coaxing benadryl into him and bandaging his tail up, I thought he might be ok for the night. Woke up this morning to No Bandage in his crate, tail bleeding. After trip to the vet, he has a cone on his head and on Valium. WTH is gonna happen to my guy? Is he gonna turn back to normal?
    Sherwin, Bella and Semper's Mama!

Oh, gracious, the vet must have nicked or irritated the skin so it was bothering him! Hopefully in a day or two it will stop hurting/itching. I'd definitely complain to the manager if need be.
    I've Been Frosted

And now there is no way to tell if his tail was nicked. There is a phenomenon out there about cats going nuts after being shaved. They see their tail as a foreign object and attack. From what I understand it is kinda the norm to NOT shave cat tails. Why mine was shaved I have no idea, it certainly won't happen again. If we can just make it through this. He is normally such a happy guy, right now he is miserable. Not to mention getting the house all yuk.

Took Semper to the vet on Thursday, basically said there's not much that can be done. They put a cone on his head and I picked up a rx for Valium. That worked well for 2 days. Got home last night and blood everywhere, guess he's used to the valium now. It has been non stop since last night. Woke up this morning to a CSI crime scene. I believe he bit the tip of his tail off last night. I am about to go crazy...I certainly can't make the fur grow back faster...any suggestions would help

So sorry to hear about Semper's troubles. Never had my cats shaved before. Cats are so mental about some stuff.

I would find a different vet. It sounds like your vet doesn't get how self-destructive your cat is being. Get a different sedative. Also maybe a sweater for your kitty until the fur starts growing back.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

That's crazy I've never heard of anything like that. I'm a groomer and most people have their cat's tails shaved and leave a ball on the end with a lion cut not many people ask to leave the whole tail. I don't know if it would work but you could try spraying Bitter Apple or a similar product on his tail I've used that to keep my dogs from chewing wounds and such. Good luck how awful for both of you.

I'm sorry to hear this. I've had my cats shaved into lion cuts before and their tails would be shaved except for a pom at the end like a lions. Luckily they never had any issues. The last time Sky got so stressed out that he ended up getting sick so now I've decided to not put them through this again. I too would get a second opinion from another vet. Do you have any vets that specialize in cats? If you have any holistic vets in your area then maybe you could see one of them. I hope you can find something that will calm him down soon. Good luck.

By all means, keep that cone on his head so that he can't continue to do damage. The fur will grow back fairly quickly and he'll probably return to normal when it does. I'm so sorry that this happened. It must be so stressful to see it and not be able to be of much comfort to him. (((HUGS)))
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Update> Semper has quit attacking his tail. finally. I guess the fur grew out enough or he just finally realized his tail wasn't a threat. Regardless, it is over. No more cones and valium. Just a normal handsome kitty.

Thank goodness! So glad he's realized it's just his tail, not some scary beast! Well, that's a lesson well learned! Dear groomers of the world: Do NOT ever shave this kitty's tail again!
    I've Been Frosted

Hi Jen

I am new here, searching the internet as I have the exact same problem with Maxx , my 9 year old tuxedo cat. This boy, never a problem in his life, I had him shaved a month ago. They nicked his tail tip and knee. He developed an abscess on the knee and attacked his tail till bloody. After numerous vet trips, $1000 in bills, till they admitted they caused it, he still has problems!!
    On the 4th of July they cleaned his tail and abscess, gave him short and long acting antibiotics, ACE, and Bupe for pain. I had to leave the e collar on him for about a week. He still acted like he didn't recognize his tail though.

He was doing great, for several weeks. His tail was healing, he was happy and all of a sudden, last night went crazy and mutilated his tail again. I am going through what you went through having a crazed animal, blood everywhere and frankly, I am losing my mind about this. Who would have thought a shave for hairballs would have destroyed my poor cats sanity.

I have him in the collar, his tail taped and on ace again. I guess I will try another vet on Monday. I hope your kitty is doing well and no more problems. Did you ever figure out why your kitty did this as well?

Thanks, robin

Medication

Yikes, so sorry to hear about your cat's tail. I would find another vet for sure, but before that, I would medicate the cat so that he doesn't know what is happening until his tail heals and the hair has grown in a bit. I know it sounds horrible to knock him out, if you will, but it will put him out of his misery for awhile .... make sense? Maybe some Prozac?

Keep us posted.