Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you convince your parents to get another dog????

Message to the kids on the board:

If your parents say "no" and are serious about it, then respect it. You've got a dog. Your pug doesn't need a friend. He has you. Plenty of pugs out there without dog buddies, and they're doing fine. You don't want a dog for your pug, you want a dog for you. Fine and dandy, but if mom says "no", then get used to it.

Parents tend to have REASONS for saying "no". Most of the time, they are pretty good reasons. I can think of at least 10 reasons why your parents wouldn't want another dog. Listen to your parents. They know more than you.

And to the 17 year old whining about mom not letting you have a dog. Come on, you'll be 18 soon. You'll move out soon. Just wait till your on your own, and can handle a dog AND rent, AND a job. That's AFTER college, if you plan to go.

Owning a dog by yourself is HUGELY different that having a dog at your parents house and saying it's your dog. You'll find out I'm right soon enough.

End of scolding.
    I'm for dogs!

Have to say I'm with polarpooch. Yep, it's frustrating, I should know, as I'm a teen who is constantly babbling on about how such-and-such would make a good pet in the hope that my mum will miraculously have a personality switch and say 'Of course, sweetie, we'll have one of those!'

But life isn't like that. You don't get things handed to you on a plate because it's what you ordered. Getting what you want usually requires hard work and thought, especially where an animal's welfare is concerned.

As Karen said, if you want to be around puppies and kittens galore, go volunteer at a shelter. I do, and it's a great job, today we had two new kitten litters, and two weeks ago I was having fun with some GSD x pups before they went off to their new homes. But even there, you will learn how much work is involved about 100 times over looking after your own pets, only then can you appreciate what your house would be like if you got a result everytime you demanded a new pet!

Be thankful for the animals you already have, I always say, some people out there don't have any at all, even though they would like to. The pets you already have are the most important!

Zimbabwe 07/13

I have been wanting another dog for...oh I don't know around 6-7 years. I am inching closer, but it's still a very firm "no". I've known all along that my parents have reasons for saying no, but it frustrates me to no end. I have a deep yearning to just go out and buy a dog but as long as I'm under THIS roof that will never happen...

I've known all along, they have reasons and I'm sure you do to. Nagging, begging, pleading, and tears will get you no where. As I have learned that only lessens the possibilty of getting what you want. You have to show you're capable of taking care of the animal. I for one am glad many parents say no to kids, who promise to take care of dogs, because they would wind up chained outside with no attention whatsoever.

I for one, know I would never let it come to that. I would always take care of the dog and so on. But my parents have their reasons, so I'm just going to stop bugging them for now..

Quote Originally Posted by polarpooch

If your parents say "no" and are serious about it, then respect it. You've got a dog. Your pug doesn't need a friend. He has you. Plenty of pugs out there without dog buddies, and they're doing fine. You don't want a dog for your pug, you want a dog for you. Fine and dandy, but if mom says "no", then get used to it.

Parents tend to have REASONS for saying "no". Most of the time, they are pretty good reasons. I can think of at least 10 reasons why your parents wouldn't want another dog. Listen to your parents. They know more than you.

And to the 17 year old whining about mom not letting you have a dog. Come on, you'll be 18 soon. You'll move out soon. Just wait till your on your own, and can handle a dog AND rent, AND a job. That's AFTER college, if you plan to go.

Owning a dog by yourself is HUGELY different that having a dog at your parents house and saying it's your dog. You'll find out I'm right soon enough.

End of scolding.
    very good post. well said, i agree 100%!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

All I have to say is why can't you be satisfied what you got?

Just like Karen said if you want to breed just to play with the puppies, then go to the shelter theirs millions of unwanted puppies in line waiting to get homes!!!

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

Really, Pugs are supposed to have another pug as companionship while their masters are away. Figure this: I have to leave Little Bit out in his ball if we are going to be gone for more than an hour so Reggie will have somthing that moves to play with. And when we get home we find an sleepy gerbil being pushed around by reggie. If we dont do this the house will be tore down when we get home. Reggie cant harm little bit because he is inside of his ball.

End of scolding.
    Agreed!
    Why not just give lots of loving to your current dogs?
    If your parents are saying you don't take care of the pets you already have then I would hope you don't get a nother dog..and I agree a puppy would be hard on a older dog.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Really, Pugs are supposed to have another pug as companionship while their masters are away. Figure this: I have to leave Little Bit out in his ball if we are going to be gone for more than an hour so Reggie will have somthing that moves to play with. And when we get home we find an sleepy gerbil being pushed around by reggie. If we dont do this the house will be tore down when we get home. Reggie cant harm little bit because he is inside of his ball.
    Be careful...is Reggie good with little bit when they're both out together?? If not then I'd be afraid to leave him rolling around when I'm gone.

I use to have hamsters and use to let them roll around the house every day ( while I was home) and I didn't even know it until I saw my hamster running across the floor! The ball had broken and my hamster had gotten out, so luckily I was able to grab her right then before she got lost.

All I'm saying is be careful i wouldn't want the hamster ball to get broken or something and Reggie hurt little bit and I'm sure you wouldn't either...
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

It is hard to get parents to get a dog and now that you have a dog it will be even harder to get them to get another one.You have to be responsible and clean up after your dog. Don't be sad if your parents say no some parents don't even let there kids get any pets. So just try.
    Dog Lover!