I've read that potpourri should be kept away from our furchildren because of the oils used. I filed that info away because I don't generally use potpourri; I do use scented candles and am extremely careful to put those where the cats can't reach.

Recently, I bought a set consisting of a small glass vase, some essential oil, and three rigid wicks with artificial lilacs attached. I love the fragrance of lilacs and thought this would be a good way to have it in the bedroom and not have to worry about extinguishing a candle. It's attractive and I put it on my bedside table. Sometime during Monday night, I upset it - and that woke me. More asleep than awake, I reached for some tissues to mop up the spill. I noticed that the top of the table seemed sticky - and I knew that couldn't be right; this was just *oil*, right?

Daylight brought the truth. That oil had not only taken the finish totally off my table, but it had spilled onto my cell phone - and I wish I could let you see what it didl. The phone looked as if it had exploded! Plastic pieces were falling off, and the face separated from the insides. It was a flip phone - and the two pieces were detached. Obvioiusly, I've had to purchase a new phone.

The danger to our cats is more than blatant here; I cleaned the area thoroughly and dried it. I now have a towel over it, although I believe it's unnecessary at this point. But suppose one of the cats had walked through that oil and then licked paws to get it off???

I thought I'd better just make people aware of how highly corrosive this seemingly benign substance is! If you have any liquid or dry potpourri (which is soaked in the oil), please be very, very certain that your cats can't possibly get to it.