Thread: Brilliant Idea - NOT!

Brilliant Idea - NOT!

Ok, so Blue wants to go outside BUT the last couple of times I've let him go out, he's jumped the fence and gone into the front yard, which is definitely off limits!
    So Bright Mom gets an idea: put on his harness, attach a leash, attach leash to partially filled quart milk jug. Brilliant! she thinks. Well, maybe if it'd been a gallon jug filled with water. Blue took off running, didn't even slow down to jump the fence, and kept going through the underbrush that borders the front yard. Mom, of course, was panic-stricken because he was headed in the direction of the road. Mom bushwacks through the underbrush, calling Blue; Blue responds by taking off running - again toward the road. When he stops, Mom goes toward the road & hears him run back in the direction of the house. Whew! Now to find him. Get the treat bag! No response, but Mom finds the milk jug, leash still attached, hung up on some deadfall - the snap had broken. Ok, at least he's wearing the harness with i.d. Mom returns to the house, enters the front door, goes to the back door & opens it, only to be nearly trampled by Blue coming in. Hard to say who was more traumatized.

Ok, I need to go color the new grey out of my hair now!

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    He-he ~ Sounds like us and Pepper. She can always outsmart any plan we come up with.

If I remember correctly, Blue was one of your Wanderers who got dumped off in the woods near your place. Sounds like he's resisted all efforts to become an indoor only kitty.

Blue, please be careful and take it easy on your Meowmie.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm sitting here laughing. Not at the situation, but the video of the whole chase that is playing in my head! If only there was a real video of it......
    Well - I guess you shouldn't try to outsmart a cat.
    Glad that all ended well. How about a cement block to tie him to?? - don't think he'd be dragging that anywhere.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I tried that with Bo Bo one time, but she did the same thing, tearing away from the lead and tie like a Maniac.
    Singing Born Free, I bet!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Yes, the picture in my mind as that story unfolded was a real Keystone Cops - er, Katz - one!

Would Blue be happy with an outdoor enclosure? They can be built quite inexpensively, or you can buy one pre-done that needs assembly, but is more expensive.

Glad Blue and you are all right!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Right you are, Lisa - someone dropped him off & he ended in my barn; since I couldnt find another home for him, here he stays. HRH The PrinCESS Althea refers to him as Hagar the Horrible Horde - a horde of one!

Oh, lord, Ellie, it's embarrassing enough without having it on tape for all posterity to see! I thought of the cement block - I did that once, years ago with another cat before the back yard was fenced; Cassandra learned to drag an entire cinder block around! Amazed me - didn't think she'd be that strong; at least she couldn't run with it!

"Singing Born Free" - now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!!

Keystone Katz,huh? I guess it was sorta like that. It wouldn't be inexpensive for me to build an enclosure as I'd have to hire someone - and finding someone to do that would be impossible. I love the idea of some of the prebuilt ones I've seen, but my SS budge doesn't stretch that far. I may go back to the cinder block idea, though.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Do you have a clothesline? Does anybody anymore?? You could attach a lead to it so that he could run the length of it. If not - maybe just string a line between a couple of trees, or from the house to a tree. Just a thought....

And I know what you mean about the SS budget - I'm in the same boat! I think mine is sinking - or at least sitting a lot lower in the water than it used to.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Handsome Blue! I'm glad you are safe after your outdoor adventure!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Clothesline?? What's that? Do have lots of trees in the backyard, though; hmm, I need to think on that - might work. In the commotion, Mordred had disappeared; since he can't jump, I figured he'd gone into the basement thru the pet door. After a while, I decided to check on him - no response. Called and called. Neighbors' dogs at the bottom of the hill heard me (we're in the country - lots of space), so obviously Mordred could hear me. Used the leaf blower to clean up some debris - thought that would scare him out of hiding. Nope. Finally came into the house & waiting quietly for a while, called him - no immediate response, but a few minutes later, he was sitting patiently at the back gate - which I'd forgotten to latch. Old and befuddled here. I guess he wandered through the gate; when I'd found it unlatched, I latched it, so the poor boy couldn't get back in. However, he's cuddled in his heated cuddler now, content to be inside. Blue hasn't asked again to go out; gee, I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    It wouldn't be inexpensive for me to build an enclosure as I'd have to hire someone - and finding someone to do that would be impossible. I love the idea of some of the prebuilt ones I've seen, but my SS budge doesn't stretch that far. I may go back to the cinder block idea, though.
    Maybe you could contact the local high school, see if some kids taking shop would like to build one and have it count toward their "community service" credits. You might have to pay for some of the supplies, but that might be something you could work out! If not a school, a scout troop?
    I've Been Frosted

Goodness, what a comedy! (Only because Blue landed safely back at home.) The clatter of that darn jug FOLLOWING him all over may have been enough to cure Blue of his need to be outdoors -- but I doubt it.

Who knew a cat could be tailed by a jug?!

I don't now much about cats but I had no idea they could be so smart and fast. Clothesline---brings back nostalgic memories. Have to admit I wouldn't mind having one every now and then for the dog blankets and the batch of towels after mine gets a bath. I don't think I would want to start hanging out a load of laundry though . We do become spoiled I guess.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Not a bad idea, Karen! My son is asst. scoutmaster of a Cub Scout pack, so he might have some contacts in the Boy Scouts.

Actually, Sandie, the jug was making little if any noise - plastic jug - how much noise could it make?

Strangely enough - Blue hasn't demanded to go out today! He did ask once this morning, but I told him NO! and he's been very low-key ever since. Wonder how long that will last??

Oh, Asiel, a cat in a hurry, especially to get away - you have no idea! I'm with you on the clothesline: I'm way too lazy any more. Besides, I have a wonderful, rational reason: I have a pinched nerve in my back and my doctor has told me to avoid bending! Therefore, bending to hang clothes is a no-no. (I'm not counting that I have to bend to get clothes out of the dryer, of course. )