Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storm & Pearl's Vet Visit- Update On Storm's Latest Thyroid Test 5-15-11

Continuing prayers for Storm that the additional test goes well too and his appetite improves.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm sorry to hear Storm may have hyperthyroidism; however, this could explain the weight loss. Keeping my fingers crossed that it can be treated easily!

Glad Pearl's checkup was good.. So sorry to hear about Storm's.. Hope he gets to feeling better.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thanks again. He did eat better this morning so I hope he'll continue to do so. I still haven't heard how long the other thyroid test takes so it may be a few days before I know the results. My vet can e-mail me and I can also e-mail her so I'll probably receive the results that way. I still don't have a cell phone.LOL

As you may recall, my Boo had hyperthyroidism and once we got the med dosage straightened out, he did very well, so try not to worry too much about that.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Frustrating that the initial report was "all is well."

I've had a few w/ hyper thyroid, and as Mary said, it can be managed. It would explain the weight loss; but . . . he should be ravenous with it!

Let's get the added report, start some meds, see how it goes. Paws crossed!

I just received an e-mail from my vet and she said she just got a note saying that Storm's test results won't be in until Fri. or Sat. Since she works Sun.-Wed. she said she'd call me on Sun. so we can discuss the results.

Pouncing back in after a long absence. I see you have a few new cats since I last visited, pretty ones too.

Like others here, I've had several cats with hyperthyroidism and it is almost always easy to manage. Occasionally a cat will have a poor reaction to Methimazole, but that's rare. You can either pill or get it made up into a cream which you massage into their ears. Or, you can go the radioactive iodine treatment route, which I did with one cat and it worked out very well.

Most cats do eat constantly and still lose weight so I was flumoxed when one lost his appetite, but the vet said that could happen. Your vet will know this very well, that hyperthyroidism can mask the early stages of renal failure because the more rapid blood flow will cause an increased flushing of the kidneys. Once the hyperthyroidism is treated, the renal failure will show. Considering Storm's age, it is a possibility - BUT, also very highly treatable. When he has a second test to check the medication is working, it will show all levels.

Wishing you both well, with an easy treatment and lots of years of fun to come.

Prayers for Storm. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Frustrating that the initial report was "all is well."

I've had a few w/ hyper thyroid, and as Mary said, it can be managed. It would explain the weight loss; but . . . he should be ravenous with it!

Let's get the added report, start some meds, see how it goes. Paws crossed!
    Yes, it was actually not my vet that left the first message. Maybe it was just about his blood profile which didn't include the thyroid test. I read some info about hyperthyroidism and it did say that in some cats it can be hard to diagnose and some will even lose their appetite because they may have some other underlying illness. In Storm's case he already has small intestinal disease and this was causing him to vomit so he's been on 2.5mg of pred every morning for it for a little over 1 year now. He's also on 5mg of pepcid at night to help soothe his tummy. His tummy is very sensitive these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    Pouncing back in after a long absence. I see you have a few new cats since I last visited, pretty ones too.

Like others here, I've had several cats with hyperthyroidism and it is almost always easy to manage. Occasionally a cat will have a poor reaction to Methimazole, but that's rare. You can either pill or get it made up into a cream which you massage into their ears. Or, you can go the radioactive iodine treatment route, which I did with one cat and it worked out very well.

Most cats do eat constantly and still lose weight so I was flumoxed when one lost his appetite, but the vet said that could happen. Your vet will know this very well, that hyperthyroidism can mask the early stages of renal failure because the more rapid blood flow will cause an increased flushing of the kidneys. Once the hyperthyroidism is treated, the renal failure will show. Considering Storm's age, it is a possibility - BUT, also very highly treatable. When he has a second test to check the medication is working, it will show all levels.

Wishing you both well, with an easy treatment and lots of years of fun to come.
    Thanks and welcome back. I hope that if he does have this disease that it will be easy to treat. I've already let my vet know that I don't want any kind of surgery done on him. I just want to be able to keep him comfortable for whatever time I have left with him. When my vet felt his kidneys she said they felt normal so hopefully we caught this early enough so it didn't affect them.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Prayers for Storm. {hugs}
    Thanks so much.

Latest Update

My vet called me this morning and Storm does have hyperthyroidism. We're starting him off on Tapazole pills 2.5mg 2 times a day. In 2 weeks I have to bring him back in to get a weight check and another blood draw so his thyroid levels can be checked again. I already gave him his first pill and he took it without any problems. I just put it in part of a pill pocket and he thought he was getting a treat. I sure hope that the pills will do the trick. Please send some positive vibes his way. Thanks.

We are sending our good wishes to Storm with his new diagnosis.. So glad to hear he took his first pill so easily.

Prayers that all will go well for you, Storm, and the whole family!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    We are sending our good wishes to Storm with his new diagnosis.. So glad to hear he took his first pill so easily.

Prayers that all will go well for you, Storm, and the whole family!

Thanks so much.

Sending Lots of Positive All Paws Up Vibes && Prayers.. Get well soon Storm..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Sending Lots of Positive All Paws Up Vibes && Prayers.. Get well soon Storm..
    Thanks Helene. I can tell that Storm's still not feeling well. He's taking his pills very easily but this morning he didn't eat very well. He also threw up some liquid back in my bedroom some time today. I've noticed that he's been drinking a lot of water today. He ate a bit better tonight so I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a much better day for him.