Thread: Friends' Cat Wakes Them, They May Give Him Up

Athens, GA USA is where I currently live.

Friends' Cat Wakes Them, They May Give Him Up

Friends of mine, a couple, just adopted a cat. They have to keep him out of their bed room as they are light sleepers. Still, the cat's early morning cries are waking them up, disturbing their much-needed sleep. I suggested Rescue Remedy, which worked for awhile. My friend told me that again, the cat woke them up at 5 a.m. today. They live in a one bed room apartment, so there's no other room where the cat can spend the night. They are at their wits end and - though it would be heart-breaking for them - are very seriously considering giving the cat back to the shelter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Please don't suggest that I could take their cat, I am full-up and also live very far from them.) Many thanks!!!
    There are no ordinary cats. - Colette

Cats are crespucular - they hunt and EAT at dawn and dusk. My entire crew are up at 5 am this time of year.

And filling the food bowl the night before doesn't work, here. Mine want "fresh kill."

So, a first guess, this is what is going on with their cat.

Ideas:
    - keep a baggie of food in a bedside DRAWER (out of kitty's reach) for easy feeding in the morning (and go back to sleep)

- you can buy a dish w/ a timer on it, and it opens a new compartment at the set time. Worked when I had 1, 2 and 3 cats! After that, thee compartment didn't hold enough.
    Here is one:
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1280&bih=591#

My cat Bean always woke me up early morning. I found that he could not be in a big space without crying and chirping all morning...drove me crazy. I started putting him in a small crate at night with a bowl of food and I didn't hear a peep from him until I opened the crate in the morning. When I moved to a house with a basement (PT people know this story all too well, right Sandie? ), he had to go in the basement at night or he would cry. Again, the smaller space (his space) seemed to work well.

Athens, GA USA is where I currently live.

Thanks!

Great ideas! To tell you the truth, I have the same problem with Cato, my 19-year-old now-blind cat. These suggestions may help me as well. The more suggestions the better - MANY thanks
    There are no ordinary cats. - Colette

Quote Originally Posted by MoonandBean View Post
    When I moved to a house with a basement (PT people know this story all too well, right Sandie? ), he had to go in the basement at night or he would cry. Again, the smaller space (his space) seemed to work well.
    Sure do remember that, Deb! Ha ha haaa.