Thread: Long haired cats.

Long haired cats.

I have just one long haired cat, Charlie. the rest are short haired.
    what a difference, as far as grooming. the short haired ones don't need to be groomed like Charlie, I have to brush him more, and his, tummy fur gets all dirty with the litter, I have to wash it and sometimes cut it. like tonight, and he growls and jumps, trying to get down. boy he sure gets mad , he does not like having this done.
    does anyone one else with long haired cats have this problem?

I have 4 longhaired cats. They all have the silkier type of coat. (not the cottony type that a lot of persians have) I have absolutely no problem keeping the in goo shape. They do not need all that much brushing and they never get anything stuck in their fur. Maybe I am just lucky. Amber is the only one who dislikes being brushed and, of course, the only one who ever gets a tangle. But getting out the tiniest of tangles helps prevent the mats from forming. If you would not mind paying for a professional grooming, a groomer can shave the belly hair and trin the hind quarters, to cut down on the amount of hair that picks up litter. A lot of our long haired cat customers have this done.

We have some cats that come into work that are shaved- it does seem to help a lot!! Getting them groomed is really the best thing if you have too much trouble doing it yourself. I hate to see animals come into the office that are full of mats.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Bosun the grumpy grouch is my only longhair. She developed mats that I was able to get out with a steel comb but she objected strenuously. But she always got a catnip reward so got used to being combed. I think she's got some Maine Coon in her since she has the double coat, ruff and very hairy feet. Her nickname is Hobbit Toes. She is very small for a MC, though.

My Bo looks like he is a shorthair, but he has the thickest undercoat. He would get matted terribly if I didn't brush him. His fur is the weirdest - he is constantly shedding. Sometimes when I pet him, it is just like standing in a cloud of white fur.

INKA

We have out new kitten Inka now , who is longhaired too .
    As far as now , there was not any problem ; I comb her hair 2 times a day , and she seems to "undergo" it ( is not the same as "like it" ...) . What she hates is when I try to comb her near her "behind" !!! gee , lots of hissing then !!!
    During her first week after her rescue , I had to cut a way some long hair around the anus because of the runny diarhhea ; was easier for her , AND for us to clean up the mess ...

I have two long hairs..Glacier and Onyx. They have completely different types of coats. Glacier rarely needs to be brushed and doesn't get mats. I brush him about once a week, just because he likes it! Onyx is double coated. Under his solid black coat is a silky soft layer of silver fur. He gets terrible mats and needs to be brushed several times a week. He is tolerant for a few minutes and then attacks my hand!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

My Noah has that long hair too. We get him shaved (like a puppy cut) when it's warm out...but I want to get it done more often because he hates geting brushed. I can only do it while he's sleeping...

We take Noah to a dog/cat groomer and they bathe, dry and cut his fur...along with his nails too. It's really worth it when he comes home all clean and nice and short haired.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

They do not need all that much brushing and they never get anything stuck in their fur. Maybe I am just lucky.
    you are lucky!

I brush all my cats, it helps their skin and fur, but Charlie needs it more often. he actually does like the brushing, til I get to his tummy, then he growls! I have to check it everyday, and usually every other day or two it seems like I have to clean him up, sometimes have to cut the fur away, it has little clumps of litter etc! its gross! but I have to watch that he doesn't get matted

I have two long haired cats Storm and Pepper. Storm's fur is very soft and silky and has never matted or picked up anything like litter. Pepper's fur is a bit coarser and he's always getting litter stuck in it. He also sometimes gets mats on his belly area and bottom area. I only brush them once a week. Pepper usually fights me the whole time. I give them treats after I groom them and Storm really looks forward to this and is a very good boy. How come the cats that need to be brushed the most hate it the most?

Charlie has very silky fur, but still it gets things stuck to it