Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To microchip or not?

To microchip or not?

I was thinking about microchipping my dog until I did some research on it and found some horror stories about some instances of tumors at the site of the chip. I know it is not a very big per centage of animals that this happens to, but if it happened to MY dog I would be devastated. Do you guys have opinions on this? I, of course, have ID tags on her collar, but I take her collar off at night so she doesn't 'jingle' jumping on and off the bed all night. Then I thought about a fire at night and how she might get lost with no collar on.... I worry too much, but I want to make sure she is always protected. I guess I should keep the collar on and get an 'anti-jingle' thingy, huh? I just don't think I want to take the risk of a microchip...

Thanks for any replies,
    Sharon

You have to make up your own mind, and be comfortable with your decision.

That said, I dare say that there are complications associated with almost everything we, including our animals, come in contact with these days.

Tumors from yearly vaccines, tumors from microchips, lung cancer from asbestos, the list goes on and on and on. The best source of Vitamin D is exposure to sunlight. Too much sunlight can cause skin cancer. Medications to control seizure disorders can cause depression and suicidal tendencies. As the saying goes, you pays your money, you take your chances.

I have 6 cats - all with chips - all getting vaccines when due. I've had all of my shots, also. So far we are all fine.

There are animals who have problems with the chip, but it is rare, far rarer than dogs getting lost or stolen. If a dog is stolen, they can take a collar off, but a microchip is pretty much invisible and unchangeable. If you dog has not had problems with other injections, shots and stuff, I would microchip her, it's really up to you, though.
    I've Been Frosted

It's a personal choice. Personally, I would do it. If your dog gets lost or stolen, you can prove ownership with the chip. I work at an animal shelter, and we have never had any problems chipping animals. It's very rare for something to happen with it. Just do whatever you're comfortable with.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I have had so many problems with microchips, I honestly won't microchip my puppies anymore. Tattoos are alot more reliable.
    Re tumors -- we've had various discussions about microchipping causing tumors etc on the Belgian list I'm on. Some people did have issues, but the majority didn't. It's not something I'd worry too much about.

How are they more reliable? What if the fur grows over the tattoos especially on a long-haired black breed?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

My dogs are "naked" in the house and out in the fenced in back yard. They only wear ID when we go out for a walk or in the car.

When Sugar found a new way out of the back yard last March (? Maybe late February?) I took comfort that she at least had the microchip.

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    How are they more reliable? What if the fur grows over the tattoos especially on a long-haired black breed?
    The tattoos are generally done inside the ear, or inside the leg near the belly where the fur is thinnest.
    I've Been Frosted

I will always microchip.

Niño & Eliza

Only one of my four animals is NOT microchipped. Two came to me with their chip already and I got my first dog done after we brought home the second one.

I understand the risk, but I think the benefits out weigh the risks. One member here on Pet Talk has been on both ends of this. She had a cat that wasn't microchipped and got out of the house and was too late to save him. Then she had another cat that got the tumor from the injection site of the chip and lost her as well. Hopefully she'll see this thread and give her opinion.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I would tattoo before I microchip. It may be rare, but I've met two people in the last few months who's dogs had to have them removed because they had reactions and grew tumors.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I just had Logan microchipped during her lump removal surgery. The vet said there's a risk in every procedure, but she seemed pretty knowledgeable and hasn't seen any problems. I'll keep checking on Logan. But, although we're fenced in, anything can happen. I'm glad I did it.

I've been Boooo'd!

Thanks for all your opinions and replies. I am thinking I will skip the microchipping. I am with Lily just about 24/7 and we don't have a fenced in yard so she is always on a leash walking when outside. There is little chance anyone is going to steal her. I am just not willing to take even the smallest risk of a causing a tumor with something I do to her. Thanks again for your replies.

Sharon

C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald  Dickie\My Documents\dogs\New Folder\dog2\lilybelle.jpg[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    The tattoos are done in the ear or on the belly where there is no hair, so they're easy to see. Tattoos don't need scanners.. They're plain to the eye. I have had so many problems with the few microchipping experiences I've had, I'll personally never do it again. Let's just say if my micrchipped pups ever got lost, they'd never be found from their original chips. I paid a ridiculous amount of money for nothing. Not to mention the microchips are surprisingly painful, my puppies get over being held down and tattooed for several minutes WAY better than being quickly microchipped.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul View Post
    I paid a ridiculous amount of money for nothing. Not to mention the microchips are surprisingly painful, my puppies get over being held down and tattooed for several minutes WAY better than being quickly microchipped.
    We didn't have to pay for any of our cats (6) being chipped. Our Vet gave us a credit for everyone of them And it caused them no pain, as they were chipped while being spayed/neutered.