Thread: Recipes - fish

Recipes - fish

We need a thread for fish recipes, so I'll start with this that I just found.

Only thing is... I'm not sure what cherry peppers are?

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound linguine pasta
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 8 ounces squid, cleaned and cut into rings and tentacles
    • 3/4 cup white wine
    • 3 cherry peppers, thinly sliced
    • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
    • 1 cup cream
    • crushed red pepper flakes to taste
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
    • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add crushed garlic, and cook for a few seconds until it turns golden brown. Stir in the squid, and cook until it turns white. Pour in white wine and cherry pepper slices; bring to a simmer, and cook until the wine is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
    3. Stir cornstarch into the cream, and add to the simmering calamari. Season with red pepper flakes, basil, salt, and pepper; stir until thickened. To serve, toss pasta with sauce, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

When it comes to types of peppers, there are many. Most of us are familiar with our standard green, red, orange, yellow peppers, but there are chili peppers, habineros (the hottest), jalapenos, cherry peppers and more. The difference between them is shape, size and heat.

Hope this helps. Sorry, but I don't have a fish recipe.

Thank you Cheche! I believe a Jalapeno will do just fine.

This is a recipe I really like. Some Ameriacns do, too, although rumors have it that the cod has been replaced with chicken. I will not not mention any names.

Anyway, here it is for one person. You can add for as many you cook for.

Cod recipe for one

1 fillet of cod enough for one person
    1 small onion
    1 tsp of curry - red or green as you wish
    1 tablespoon of flour
    1/2 cooking apple (big)
    margarine or butter
    cream (the one you can whip) or fat milk
    1 glass of dry white wine

Cut the cod up in big bite size pieces, grease an oven proof dish and put the cod in to cover the bottom (make sure your kitties are 2 rooms away!)

Cut the onion in tiny pieces and put the margarine in a pot. When it’s melted, put curry in and heat for 2 min. Then put the onion in and stir for 3-4 min. until they take a bit of color (not too much!) Add the flour and stir! Keep an eye on your kitties!!
    Then add the wine (take a sip yourself!) and also add the cream. Let it simmer for about 5 min. while stirring and add salt and white pepper (black will be OK too).

Pour the sauce over the cod fillets and grate the apple over it. You can also sprinkle some parmesan over.

Put in oven on medium for 40 min. Remember to take a look now and again. It’s supposed to go slightly brown on top.

Take another sip of the wine while you’re waiting!

Serve with potatoes or rice - and whatever veggies you find fit.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I like fish, but don't have any specific recipes. I usually just fry any white fish fillet (such as flounder - not "fishy" fish), or sprinkle with lemon and pepper seasoning and bake it. I tried a squid recipe once years ago - the family was not impressed!

Recently an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips restaurant opened in town, but I haven't been there yet. I LOVE their fried fish fillets. I'm going to do a take out one day soon for lunch. YUM.........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I take any mild fish fillet - season it with salt/pepper/ put it on my george foreman gril - when its done take a flour tortilla and put some spinach leaves dried cranberries or golden raisins and cheese if you want too top with Cucumber Ranch dressing mmmm
    Last edited by shais_mom; 04-03-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    This is a recipe I really like. Some Ameriacns do, too, although rumors have it that the cod has been replaced with chicken. I will not not mention any names.
    Hey! I resemble that remark! It is good with chicken but also with most any kind of firm white fish...

My new favorite fish is swai. It is firm and almost sweet tasting - and less expensive than most other fish. I flour it, dip in egg and then a mixture of parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Bake it in the oven with a little Pam on the pan and top the fish. I bake it at 375 for 15 - 20 minutes. So good. I also use this method for any white fish - especially good for really thin pieces.

I also like to cook white fish in aluminium foil - either in the oven or on the grill. Spray the foil (what did we do before PAM??) cover the fish with whatever amuses you - bacon bits, shredded cheese - carrots, corn, peas. I especially like to put dried cranberries. Again - takes about 15 - 20 minutes.

We try and eat fish at least two nights a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I also like to cook white fish in aluminium foil - either in the oven or on the grill. Spray the foil (what did we do before PAM??)
    I can answer that - as I am allergic to canola oil, which is what's in Pam. I use butter to coat foil before I cook something on it, and if I need a light oil to brush on something, I'll use peanut oil, but I usually just stick to butter!

I would have to substitute chicken for the fish, as sadly, sadly, sadly, I am now allergic to fish. I probably ate as much in the years before I became allergic to equal what others consume in their whole lives, living in Massachusetts - Boston being "the home of the bean and the cod" and I do miss it. Sigh.
    I've Been Frosted

Sushi

Have any of you ever made Sushi? I haven't, but I love it and I found a step-by-step recipe here with pictures. Even you you don't like it, scroll down and take a look at the last picture. It says: "Can anyone tell that I shared some salmon with my cat?"

http://hanneksverden.blogspot.dk/201...urastegte.html

Had some yummy fish the other day, and kept the recipe very simple, as it was a test of my fish allergy.

Grease an oven-safe dish. Slice very thin one white potato, as thin as you can get it, spread across the bottom of the pan. Lay on top of that one fillet, salt and pepper on each side - I used haddock, which Dad had caught. Slice an onion (or half of one, depending on the size of the onion) paper thin and cover the potatoes and fish with that. Bake at 350 degrees until the potatoes are cooked through.

Came out quite yummy, like fish chowder without the liquid!

Sadly, I am still allergic to fish, though, so the leftovers are in my fridge, in case a cat comes by wanting treat. I imagine once tomatoes are in season, that would be another good layer - do that instead of potatoes, feel free to experiment!
    I've Been Frosted

I went loking for a link to show you 'cherry peppers' and found this very interesting site! If you substitute jalapeno, as you said, you are making the pepper much too hot, so it will overpower the fish in that recipe. Here is the link:

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/p...ppersdict.html

I've only ever bought cherry peppers pickled, in a jar, we grew up with them!