Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Live Webcam - Bald Eagles

Wildlife

From what I gathered today, while being in the Chat room, eagles prefer cold weather to warm weather. They have been there done that with this type of weather. It is spring there, so the temperatures are just right for them. Not even freezing. The cottonwood is a strong tree and sways nicely in the wind. This birds are made to take care of themselves in what we might consider to be harsh weather. Most of the eagle population is in Alaska for heavens sake. Watch out for ..... oh never mind.

I, too, thought horrible things about the weather, but the eagle folks related to the reserve are laughing at all us wimpy folks. The eagles are fine. The parents have a 100% eaglet survival going. And if one doesn't make it for some reason, well, that's mother nature for you.

I encourage everyone to go to the site to check out the eagles. It's a chance of a life time to see them feed the eaglets and themselves etc.

We have bald eagles in Massachusetts, most nest near Quabbin Reservoir in the middle of the state, where it'll be chilly tonight, too!
    I've Been Frosted

What a life. The chicks woke up from a nap and now it's feeding time again.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Its snowing in Iowa and the camera lens is covered with snow.

I know watching these birds is a special thing and I also know that it is mother nature. I learned that last year with the Peregrine Falcons I watch here in California. Last year one eyasses died a couple days after hatching. And then another must have had a disease or something and he died at about 5 weeks old. So very sad. It's nice to hear the Eagles have 100% fledge rate. The Falcons aren't so lucky. But I'm hoping this year all four will fledge. This hasn't happened since 2007.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Blog Entries
    The Decorah eagles do receive some help. There are people the area that provide road kill. To keep having 3 babies a year & being able to feed them all is rare. Maybe two would survive but usually not three. It all has to do with the amount of food they can provide their young.

It was really rough here yesterday with a good 8 inches of really heavy wet snow.

Much better viewing today. Yesterday I got to see both parents on the
    nest, but the snow quickly covered up the camera lens.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

The babies are all by themselves in the nest.

No, Mama came back with dinner.

The chicks are getting real feathers now, instead of grey fuzz.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

I was just commenting to a co-worker that I've never seen them alone in the nest. The Peregrine Falcons I watch are left alone in the scrape (but a parent is always very close by) once they are too big to keep warm. Of course, it is much warmer just in general here in California too.
    It's very interesting to me to see the differences and similarities with these two species of birds.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

bump

Anyone notice how big the chicks feet are now? They remind me of kids
    walking around wearing their dad's shoes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

LOL! I did notice how big their feet are. The other day they were asleep and they actually had their legs all stretched out. And one of them kept stretching their leg out and then opening and closing the claw. It reminded us (my co-worker and I) of a cat "making biscuits". It was too funny!

gentle bump
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Looks like only two babies now. Anybody know what happened to
    the third eaglet?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

I just counted three.

Yup, me, too!
    I've Been Frosted

I normally have just one window open, but needing to keep track of eagles also, I now open two windows, one just for Decorah Eagles, the other for everything else. This way I don't need to watch a commercial for every eagle viewing, much faster, too.

Joan