Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knut the polar bear going to be stuffed! Please sign the petition!

Knut the polar bear going to be stuffed! Please sign the petition!

This is no April fool's joke! The zoo of Berlin has decided that Knut, the famous polar bear who died on March 19, will be stuffed and displayed in a museum. I think this is so perverted and gross, it would hurt his dignaty, and many peoples' feelings, too.

Please sign a petition that has been started by his fans. It will be send to the zoo directors. The text is in German, but it wouldn't hurt if they see that people worldwide are concerned about Knut. The petition asks to give Knut a burial in dignity. It also links to a Facebook page and a Facebook group that is against the zoo's plans of Knut being stuffed.

Here's the petition's link:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/knut/

BTW, the cause of Knut's death was a viral encephalitis, as they have now announced. I'm sure he felt very ill in his last days or weeks, and I wonder why no one had noticed! My heart breaks for poor Knut!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    BTW, the cause of Knut's death was a viral encephalitis, as they have now announced. I'm sure he felt very ill in his last days or weeks, and I wonder why no one had noticed! My heart breaks for poor Knut!!
    Oh my! I hadn't heard the results; this is so sad. Yes, it does seem someone should have noticed he was ill!

Now see, I think having him on display at a museum would be a lovely way to remember him! He was such a national treasure, and if he can keep on educating people, seems like it would be a lovely tribute to him.

I don't know all the pros and cons of the debate, so I'm not saying I'm stuck hard and fast to this opinion. But initially, it seems a nice thing, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Now see, I think having him on display at a museum would be a lovely way to remember him! He was such a national treasure, and if he can keep on educating people, seems like it would be a lovely tribute to him.

I don't know all the pros and cons of the debate, so I'm not saying I'm stuck hard and fast to this opinion. But initially, it seems a nice thing, to me.
    Well, maybe in 50, or 100 years, it would be interesting for people to look at him and say "so, that's the famous Knut who was loved by so many people at the beginning of this century...", but for most of them who loved him now, and saw him ALIVE, it would be painful.

Oh my! I hadn't heard the results; this is so sad. Yes, it does seem someone should have noticed he was ill!
    I really think so!!! I read an article a couple of days ago that said that polar bears do not hide their weaknesses like most animals do; they don't have to because they don't have natural enemies. The zoo staff said he was eating, playing and everything, but I'm sure if anyway had looked closer, they would have noticed that something wasn't right!

I kind of agree. I don't see where stuffing him would be all that bad. I mean, he is a bear and not a human.

Hmm, I heard on TV that his illness caused him to pass out and he drowned as a result.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I feel like it would be a very nice way of honoring him. Although, I think either burying him or stuffing him would have been honorable. I, personally, enjoy seeing famous animals in museums. I've seen Balto before.

All in all, it is a tragic story. I hope Knut is now at peace.

I don´t think it´d be a bad thing to do..

in fact.. I´ve considered stuffing my dogs in the past.. just noone who can actually do it
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Well, I agree with Kirsten. I think it's a gross idea. They seem to still want
    to make money on Knut even in death. Pathetic.

Bury the poor soul and let people see a picture or film of him while he
    was still alive. That's enough.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I believe that being stuffed will further educate children and adults on the beauty and dignity of our wild life. Most people will never get this close to really see a polar bear.
    It's an honor, like a painting or a statue. He will be there for all to see and read about.
    I understand your feelings Kirstian, he was not just a polar bear, he was a loved part of many peoples lives. This way his greatness and beauty can be seen and shared by others.
    In the ground he does nothing but turn to ashes.

Hmmm, well, obviously this is something that could be seen in a different light... but to me, it just doesn't feel right. Stuffed animals always gave me the creeps. As a kid, I was kinda fascinated by them because it was indeed interesting to have such a close look, but I was always aware of the fact that they have once lived, but were now dead, and that made me sad.

Hmmm seems they would have noticed him acting sick before hand... but wasn't he kinda "depressed" since the original handler died? so maybe he had already been acting sluggish and what not so they didn't notice the change? I dont' know. I can't imagine they just ignored it... considering what a big deal everyone made about him and how much money he was bringing in to the zoo. I'd think if they noticed anything was off they would have dealt with it. I can't imagine they just ignored it to let him suffer or anything.

As for him being stuffed I also don't see a problem with it. His presence at the zoo spurred a lot of education and advocacy from people. people actually cared and wanted to learn more. I think stuffing him and putting him in a museum will continue to educate people. If they just bury him or cremate him then he's out of sight out of mind and in 10 years everyone will forget. this way he's always there... he's never out of sight out of mind. Even in his death he will continue to be a pillar for education on polar bears, endangered species, the environment etc.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

If I recall the news stories correctly, Knut was acting kind of disoriented and going around in circles. If he hadn't fallen in the pond as a result - if he had fallen over elsewhere in the enclosure - staff would have noticed and he would have received treatment.

This might have been the first time he showed any symptoms at all...so sad!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    If I recall the news stories correctly, Knut was acting kind of disoriented and going around in circles. If he hadn't fallen in the pond as a result - if he had fallen over elsewhere in the enclosure - staff would have noticed and he would have received treatment.

This might have been the first time he showed any symptoms at all...so sad!

He probably didn't show any symtoms beforehand, or you would think
    it would be noticed by somebody. I watched the video of his last minutes
    and he definately showed detress before he fell into the water. It is very
    sad.

( this video was filmed by some visitor at the Zoo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlC1KIlVYyw
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

If it was done in a dignified manner I think it would be an honour to bestow on
    him. Maybe they could have a nice plaque with his name and some information about his life and more information about polar bears in general.
    I think a lot of the public are still in the dark as to the complete history of polar bears.

I remember my daughter wanting to have one of our dogs stuffed and kept in the living room, she was devastated when we had to have him euthanized due to cancer. That time I did find it repulsive and gross and we creamated the dog...not quite the same as a polar bear and I wouldn't want to be looking at him today
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I think a life-sized bronze or wood statue that children could climb on, even a cement one - would be better, as they will not be allowed to touch a stuffed version.
    I've Been Frosted