Thread: Barking!

Barking!

I got my very sweet spaniel mix, Mindy from PAWS a couple months ago who I introduced on here...thank you all for you wonderful comments. Now though, I'm getting complaints from the neighbors (very nicely though!) about her barking. She's a high energy dog as I'm finding out and I'm single and work during the day. When I adopted her, you just don't know these things. I'm in the burb's, she has a huge backyard but does bark when I'm gone apparently. I'm going to take her to a really great doggy daycare a couple times a week and have said I will keep her in at night (I have a pet door to the back yard which the cats use also) as the one neighbor is working the graveyard shift and going to bed about 3:30 so obviously needs some sleep! I feel awful but don't know what to do about this wonderful little girl. I have thought about trying to find a new home for her where someone is home more..it would break my heart but I also have to live here. Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

Mindy

When does she bark? What's the pattern? Could you come home at lunch and make sure she's inside for the afternoon? Does she bark right after you leave? Doggy daycare sounds like a good option. Are there any trustworthy neighborhood kids who might come after school to give her a nice long walk and wear her out some?
    I've Been Frosted

I'm a little too far from work to come home at lunch. My neighbor did ask if his kids could walk her with their dog (who live right behind me). I think that is wonderful idea but being with her now for 2 months, I'm really wondering if that is going to be enough but I'll give it a try. I think she must have had someone who was home w/her most of the time so barks when she is on her own. I looked at citronella collars but a couple articles said that the dog can become used to the collar and it doesn't work anymore. I just can't afford doggy daycare 5 days a week. Sigh.....she's is such a sweetie.

Oh, she barks after I leave in the morning for work. Plus there are dogs on all sides of me so those set her off as well as they bark.

I'd definitely try the dog walkers, I think it could be fun for her. And you said you have a huge backyard, maybe the kids could come and play with both dogs there, too, some days. A good long tiring walk or playtime before you leave in the morning would be great, too - if you have a place to sit outside with your morning coffee and throw a ball for her, that could help.

That, and things to keep her busy - like a frozen kong filled with peanut butter, toys that she can play with ... all these things combined could make it better for everyone, and you and she might make new friends in the neighborhood, too.
    I've Been Frosted

Those are great ideas. I also have a barker and I apologize to my neighbors all the time. They tell me they don't hear her. Or if she does bark out of control they simply say her name and talk to her and then she stops. I gave my neighbors permission to tell her to shut up! LOL He said talking to her helps. That way she knows who is out there.
    Maybe the neighbor that needs to sleep could meet Mindy and then she'd know them and quiet down when they tell her to. That's a stretch, I know.
    Too bad Mindy and the other neighbor dog couldn't hang out together during the day. Or can they?? Then she'd have someone to play with and keep her busy. And it would only be the days she isn't at doggy day care.

I don't know, just throwing ideas out there. There is also a device called Bark Off. We got it and we can't use it for Zoee because she is so sensitive that it freaks her out. My mom has one and it doesn't seem to work for her dogs either.........AND my mom and niece can hear it!!! So I wouldn't waste money on that device. But it does work on some dogs, just not mine.

Good Luck!! And thanks for the picture of Mindy.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks for the suggestions. She is such a sweetheart I would absolutely hate to lose her but I certainly understand the neighbors concerns and I would voice the same concerns myself for another dog. Thank goodness they are very nice and understanding. I'm going to see how the doggie day care goes and if the neighbors walking her will help. What she really wants is people as I'm discovering for the most part. If I could afford doggie day care every day, I would, but I can't. I've been crying about this all evening as I don't want to give her up. I love this little girl!

Would leaving the radio on help? If she just needs to hear humans, that is.

Having her out for a walk before you leave, giving her toys and "work at it" treats like a frozen stuffed Kong may help. Make sure you cut back on her food, or she will get pudgy!