Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this food ok?

Is this food ok?

I am trying to change Lily's food to a better quality food. Since she is so picky this is a challenge. I am feeding her 'Newman's' canned food, mixed with 'Royal Canin' dry food and I am adding a very thin slice of deli turkey that tear into little pieces and mix into this and she just loves it all. She wouldn't touch it without the turkey... I would think turkey would be ok for her, but I thought I would ask to be sure, as I might have to do this forever, which is fine with me, as long as it is ok for her. What do you guys think? Is it ok? 1 thinly sliced shredded piece of deli turkey?...
    Thanks for any replies,
    Sharon

That should be fine, deli turkey's generally pretty low in fat, and you use just a little so I don't think it will be doing any harm.
    I've Been Frosted

In general, sounds OK.

Do keep in mind she is getting added salt in the turkey. Be sure she always has access to water.

You can learn a great deal about dog foods by reading some reviews on here:
    www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Thank you so much. Yes, she always has fresh water available.

Ya gotta read the labels. I have cats, and I give them gluten/meal free. They're all healthy and their coats and soft and shiny.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If your asking about the turkey, its fine. The food is only middle quality though.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    If your asking about the turkey, its fine. The food is only middle quality though.
    I was trying to let her learn that for herself! LOL

Well, geez, I thought "Newman's" was a good quality food. I know it's a big step up from "Cesars"... what I was using... LOL... "Royal Canin" dry is not good either? ... *sigh*...

The Newman's is alright, it is the Royal Canin we are suggesting you upgrade.

Just the fact that your dog won't eat it without a "topping" should suggest you keep learning.

This is all a huge learning process. You are well up the list, far away from grocery store stuff.

Royal Canin isn't that great.

On Dog Food Analysis it is a 1-star dog food. There are better ones out there, like Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Kirklands is rated 4 stars I do believe, etc. As for the canned, Newman is rated a 3-star which isn't that bad. Natural Balanced Canned is really good, has no by-products in it.

I would also stay away from Nutro, it's not that great of a food either. Just my 2 cents.

Taste of the Wild:
    http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Natural Balance:
    http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/home.html

Orijen:
    http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/

Blue Buffalo:
    http://www.bluebuffalo.com/

You can find Kirkland at Costco. Good luck. Also if you switch to any the foods I suggested especially TOTW, Orijen, or anything she will not need turkey or a canned food with it. They are pretty high in protein. Fish oil capsules are always a good supplement.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Agreed with everyone above. I also like Solid Gold, Nature's Variety, Canine Caviar, Ziwipeak (expensive but good!!!!), and Merrick.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Thanks all... I don't know why I thought Royal Canin was a good food. I can change that real quick. I just need to find something with small bites. She is a Yorkie mix and doesn't like big bites of food. I just would love to find a really good quality canned food(I would love it better if she would eat dry food, but I know better), that she would LOVE to eat. Price is not a concern since I have only her to feed and she is small. I hope I can find a good dry food to mix at Petco or Pet Supermarket. I will take a list with me.

Thanks for all your help... I REALLY appreciate it! You are all so kind.
    Sharon

I feed my dogs Acana, it's a grain free high quality food. The bites are small enough. I mix my dog's food with a little water so it's all soggy. Not only does it keep their teeth cleaner, my little picky eater, Molli, LOVES it that way.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Acana is pretty good too. I think they also carry small bites.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Actually the thing I don't like about Dog Food Analysis is they don't tell you about ingredients like Menadione which are quite dangerous for dogs imho. Nutrisource uses this ingredient. You've got to look up each individual ingredient, especially if you have no clue what it is.

They also don't tell you how extremely high Blue Buffalo is in "animal digest". It a by-product also known as poop. Its listed in their ingredients as individual bacterias. Blue Buffalo also has two seperate artificial sweetners and that I would think would be especially dangerous for small dogs.

Canned food is a fine choice for a yorkie mix. I think its dry food that helps knock their teeth out as they age and little dogs need all the teeth they can get. No wild animal eats crunchy pellets and wild animals don't have the dental problems our pets do. Think about it, what sticks to your teeth more, dry cereal or meat? Its the cereal. Cruchy food does not clean teeth. That's a lie. A canned food like Innova Evo or By Nature organics would be as close to 100% meat as a commercial diet allows.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton