Thread: Upgraded Hamster Cage

Upgraded Hamster Cage

I upgraded my roborovski dwarf hamsters cage yesterday and I just had to put up some pictures. I used an Ikea DETOLF shelf and just laid it on it's back thus creating a read made cage. Rory and Bones are moving into this cage from their 20 gallon long (360 square inches). The detolf has the floor space of about 1024 sqin. Also keep in mind that this species of hamster is about fully grown at 2" long. And in honour of this cage being inspired by 'German style' cages I set it up as natural as possible:

Full view:

Left Side:

Right Side:

The lid:

A closer look at their 'mountain' (which they can climb as though they were spider-hamsters). It also has sand for them to dig in at the front and tunnels inside for them to climb through.

And some pictures of Rory and Bones exploring their new home:

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Very cool! And, your hammies are sooooooo adorable!!! I have been thinking in the back of my mind if I want to get a hamster some day. I am not sure what the cats would think. My nieces all had hamsters when they were growing up and I always thought they were so cute. A friend of mine got his daughter a hamster recently and it was black and white spotted. OMG...so very adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Very cool! And, your hammies are sooooooo adorable!!! I have been thinking in the back of my mind if I want to get a hamster some day. I am not sure what the cats would think. My nieces all had hamsters when they were growing up and I always thought they were so cute. A friend of mine got his daughter a hamster recently and it was black and white spotted. OMG...so very adorable!
    I know that my cats regard the hamsters as yummy treats. For the most part when they're aloud in my room they just sit and watch them. But they have made an attempt to knock off the lid so the cats typically aren't aloud near the hams. Hamsters really do make awesome pets, they aren't for everyone but I can't imagine not having any now.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters

I just saw your link to your blog and looked at your pics of all of your hamsters. So cute! I Damion.

That is really cool! I think if I ever have any more small animals I want to wait until I can set up really cool cages for them because I love having it more like a zoo exhibit than just a cage in the corner. I bet it's more fun to watch them explore that cage too!

Niņo & Eliza

Wow, that's a nice cage!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

That's an awesome hammy home! Your hammies are so pretty with their tan and black coats! I like the picture where they are sharing a yummy treat.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank you very much everyone!

It's so much fun watching them now.

happylabs: Thanks! Damion really was a sweet guy.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters

Great cage

Christmas_Hamster,

Your cage is fantastic! I was wondering if I could use a picture of it on my blog, http://www.DwarfHamsterCentre.com? It's a fine example of what a cage SHOULD be!

Matt Boreau

Yes you can certainly use the pictures if you would like, anything to help advocate for these wonderful creatures!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters