Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sabrina is vomiting white foam! **update Fri. 10/23/08**

Sabrina is vomiting white foam! **update Fri. 10/23/08**

Friday morning I woke up to little vomit piles all over the livingroom. One was food, one was hair, and the rest white foam. I wasn't sure who was doing it since Pooky does tend to eat too much/fast and vomit food, but I've never seen one of my critters vomit white foam before. Just before I left for work I saw Sabrina vomit her breakfast back up. She normally doesn't vomit.

When I came home for lunch she ate just fine, acted normal, ate normal. Just before I went back to work she was vomiting white foam, a bit of hair, and a dab of her food but not all of it. I asked one of the vets at work about it and he said that if something upsets their tummy they can do that. Since she was eating and acting normally he didn't think it was something to get too worried about at this time.

However today she vomited like 7-8 times before breakfast, but she did eat her food and kept it down to my knowledge. (can't guarantee there isn't something nasty behind a couch or something) The vomit was mostly white foam with a bit of hair. I figured a hair ball so I gave everyone some hairball meds, which they were due for anyways. She ate hers just fine.

She didn't want to eat lunch today, she just plain turned her nose up at it. As it was I had to go bring her to the food dish, she was the only one that didn't come running.

She did drink some water out of the bathroom faucet and did want supper which I let her eat it on the counter (which I never do) so I could monitor how much she ate.

About 5 mintues later she vomited up the food and more white foamy stuff.

I called the ER clinic and they said to bring her in so that's where I'm heading now. My first ever run to the ER vets.

In researching vomiting white foam all I came up with on PT was for animals that had went to the RB and other things I found from Google weren't any more encouraging. Fortunately the ER clinic will give me a 25% professional discount because I work at a vet hospital.

Please keep her in your thoughts and pray HARD for her! And if you could also please pray for me that this won't bankrupt me!

I'll update you when I get back.
    Last edited by Catlady711; 10-23-2008 at 07:48 PM.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I hope that the ER vet can figure out what is causing Sabrina to vomit so many times and why she is throwing up white foam. Poor girl. Please update us when you get a chance. I hope it's nothing serious!

Prayers for Sabrina!

I hope they find something very solvable!

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Ok so now it's 2:30 a.m. and we're home. Sabrina is in my bathroom now, poor thing had a stressful night.

She did very good at the ER vets office, she only tried to bite when they palpitated her and when they did x-rays. I muzzled her for them for the x-rays which they were nice enough to let me suit up and watch them! They had a digital x-ray which is a higher end version of our non digital one at work.

Anyways the only thing they could find wrong with her was bad constipation! So now I'm having horrible thoughts of a second megacolon cat. They did say stress could cause that. There has been alot of stress around the house lately plus they're doing construction all day near my house which don't help any.

They gave her an enema but she wouldn't poop for them, so they sent her home hoping she'd go when she's more relaxed. So far all she's done is pee.

They said I could give her some of Jack's Lactulose and calculated a dose for me for her size and fortunately for me she likes the stuff!

I gave her exactly 30 crunchies with 1/2 dose of the Lactulose on it and we'll see if she'll keep that down then I'll give the other part of the Lactulose and more food.

Right now I'm sitting at my cpu finally getting a chance to soak my toes and change my bandages from my toe surgery.

Fortunately the cost wasn't too bad with the professional discount they gave me, total bill was only $169. It would have been around $230 without the discount.

Oh and while I was there I found a card for a nearby place that does local cat behavior counceling for free! I'm going to be calling them Monday to see if we can get the marking urine and cat fighting to stop. I've already ordered one of the Feliway plug in's from work too.

Anyways so I just wanted to make sure to update you.

Thank you guys so much for the thoughts and prayers. Please keep praying that her food will stay down and she poops overnight or she has to go back to the ER.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I didn't see this until this morning. My Puddy would vomit white foam on occasion and it was usually due to nausea because there was never any food in it. Once in a while I'd find some hair in it, as you experienced, but I figured that was from a hairball. I sure hope that all goes well for Sabrina and you. You're both in my prayers.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's weird you should mention vomiting foam because Mollie Rose has been doing that as well. I think it's because of post nasal drip due to her allergies. She's been using the box, eating and sleeping so I'm not too concerned.

You and Sabrina will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'm glad she is back home and I hope the lactulose will help her 'go'. I read your post last night and then this morning, what did I wake up to? White foam all over the dogs room! I don't know which dog it was but I have never seen foam before and there was a ton. It was almost as if they ate laundry soap! (they didn't though). Very weird.
    Prayers that Sabrina does her business soon.
    Hope your toe heals up as well!

So far no poop.

She's peed 3 times since we came home last night. I've seen her drink some water and she's eaten some food (not alot but is eating) and it's staying down so far. She licks the Lactulose right off the syring but she only will take about 1/2 or just a bit less of the dose they wanted her to have.

Since she's not messy on the rear like Jack usually is I moved her upstairs where it's far roomier and more comfy for her, and better for us (our bathroom is very small).

I'm just about to call them and ask since she's eating and not vomiting if it's ok to just take her to work with me in the morning or if I need to bring her back in tonight for another enema.

*sigh* why does it always have to be in the evening or on a weekend when our furbabies get sick?

I'll update you guys when I talk to the ER vet's office.

*edit*

Talked to ER dr. that saw her last night. He said that as long as she's not vomiting, she's eating some, and she's taking some of the Lactulose that it would be ok to wait until I go into work tomorrow. He did suggest giving her some canned pupkin, but I don't have any here and she HATES canned food anyways. I asked about giving her some of Jack's W/D dry for the fiber but he was afraid adding a different food might upset her tummy and start the vomiting again. I guess I could go get some canned pumpkin but I doubt she'll eat it.

Canned pumpkin is a great idea and very good for her immune system. My friend puts it in her cat's canned food and they love it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I hope Sabrina will poop for you soon. Glad the vomiting has stopped. If it is megacolon I have had great success with acupuncture. If you do not do it at your clinic I am sure they can suggest one for you. Good Luck! katslady P.S. most of the white foam vomit I have seen was stress induced.

katslady - Jack is a Megacolon cat and we've been having good luck, so far, using Lactulose, W/D, and Cisapride. No enemas since Spring. No we don't do acupuncture at our hospital. I'd have to ask if they have somewhere they refer for that if it comes down to that point. I'm hoping this is just a one time stress induced constipation. I'd feel so bad if I end up with two megacolon cats and Sabrina is only 2 years old.

Moonsmom - Unfortunately Sabrina doesn't like canned food.

I did however find a leftover can of pumpkin from when Jack used to get it and it was still in date. I took some of that up to her and she squinted, laid her ears down and made like spitting 'bleck' noises. I gave up because I'm afraid to get her going on the vomiting again.

I'll take her to work with me in the morning and see what they can do for her. She's going to have another enema I'm positive unless she poops alot overnight, which I'm hoping for. Normally when they give enemas where I work at the cats tend to be messier in the hind end than Sabrina was last night. Kinda makes me wonder if the ER vet gave her enough enema solution? But if she gets one from my work then she'll probably end up back in the bathroom again to contain the mess and eventually end up getting a bath. *sigh*

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the prayers, keep them coming, Sabrina's rear end would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    *sigh* why does it always have to be in the evening or on a weekend when our furbabies get sick?
    It's in their DNA. LOL Sure hope Sabrina feels better soon.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I hope that Ms. Sabrina is able to have her bowel movement, so that she doesnt have to go to your work tommorrow. I also hope that her belly feels better and she isnt vomiting any longer. Positive vibes being sent your guys ways!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Update 10/6/08

Ok so here's the update scoop.

Sabrina did poop sometime last night or early this morning!

However.....

I still took her to work with me because she didn't eat overnight and I found more piles of the hair and white foam vomit, and she didn't want to eat again.

The vet looked her over and felt her abdomen, she was cleaned out, no more poop inside. The poop she did pass was soft which is good, so the enema and lactulose must have softened it.

Her vet agreed with the ER vet that it probably wasn't anything she might have gotten into or swallowed based on the xrays and her symptoms.

We force fed her a little bit of canned A/D. That went pretty good considering Sabrina's normal personality at the vets office (I put a caution label on her file myself). She managed to keep that down this morning and I just brought her home and force fed her some more A/D. So far she's keeping that down but I'll have to check her again to make sure.

Her vet said that if she keeps vomiting or not eating then we'll have to probably do some lab work and dig a bit deeper trying to find out what's causing her tummy to be so upset.

Thank you again for the support and prayers. Please keep them coming for my furbaby, she's never really been sick before and meowme is worried about her.

So it's a good news/bad news scenario, more good than bad, though. We'll keep the prayers coming......
    Blessings,
    Mary