Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaase help me!!:-)

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaase help me!!:-)

Please everybody on the dog board,Im asking for your help,when I get my dog,I'll most likely be able to train her well,but I don't know everything there is to know about training,please help me!I need help on things like how to train the dog to stay,basic stuff! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!Thank you ,everyone,so mucch!
    Grace and my best, friend, my k9 companion, Finny.

Come see the beautiful dog breed that I love! www.tollerweb.com

Whew! What a plea!!!

There are a couple of routes you can go. First of all, check into puppy kindergarten or full fledged obedience (if you're getting an adult dog). It is great. They basically train "you" to train your dog.

If that isn't a possiblity, then there are many good training books available. Then you just read, read, read! No way can we tell you all you'll need to know here. I think there is a "training for dummies" book, and I have heard wonderful things about it. I know there are others that I'm sure some of the other members can tell you about.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new dog.

Logan

The best book I know of is the 4-H novice Y . You can go to your local extension office and purchase it. They also have more advanced books as you go along. Also your local Kennel club should be able to help you out. I like working with another person, that way both dogs and people get use to distractions. I also will after a while switch dogs so i know it's the training not "clues" I'm giving out.
    Sometimes the 4-H groups allow you to train with them. Hope this helps.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

The best book I know of is the 4-H novice Y . You can go to your local extension office and purchase it. They also have more advanced books as you go along. Also your local Kennel club should be able to help you out. I like working with another person, that way both dogs and people get use to distractions. I also will after a while switch dogs so i know it's the training not "clues" I'm giving out.
    Sometimes the 4-H groups allow you to train with them. Hope this helps.

When I got my 6 mo old rescue, he had some problems, not releasing from his mouth a dead bird he found in the park (ending up making him very sick) and several times snapping and growling at me not only with the dead bird, but when I gave him snacks or a bone. A much bigger problem than the regular training to sit, stay, down, etc. I thought I had made a mistake, was really upset but got a dog behaviorist to visit us at home, and then took classes she recommended.

The basic training classes and practice at home helped to get rid of the problem. If you aren't confident that you know what to do, just realize that they train you to train your dog, at the same time. Other owners are in the same boat, and it's fun.

When I started classes I would often head to the nearest big chain book store, take stacks of books to a table, and look up all the questions on my mind, finding lots of other valuable information. I took notes, went back a few times as questions came up, reconfirming what I had heard in class, to reassure myself that I could do this, and I walked out with more confidence each time. No way could someone afford to buy all the books I got information from, and with so many interesting examples, it was fun. I now have a wonderful sweet three year old that trusts me, and that I trust in every situation. Anyone can take toys, treats, his food bowl, or something he finds outside, from his mouth with just a word.

We'll all be waiting to hear how things are going for you and your new dog. I'm sure you'll still get lots of advice, so be specific about your questions. Lots of good ideas here too. Good luck, and have fun.

Training a dog is the most important thing to do. You can go to your local vet office and he/she can recommend a good personal trainer. They don't cost that much and you wouldn't believe the miracles it works.

If you already no what method you want to use, just make sure your training sessions are short and fun! If they are long and drag on, your dog will learn that training is not fun.

I also suggest that you go to a training school that trains with the method you're using. It's alot easier learner but a trained instructor.
    Becky Weise & the German Shepherd
    Iris Von Der Felzen Haus CD, CGC, 2 legs of NA
    Iris' Den

Don't ask me. I still can't get Fritz to even sit!
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

Spencer I think that at least people should get alist of places to ask questions and places to get help. If you do start requiring classes then your adoption rates will drop and tons more animals will be put down. I do think some kind of quiz of knowlege show be part of the application, Basics ( you know) Maybe we could all make suggestions and put one to geather for all of our local places. I'll type it up if any one thinks it's worth a try.

You could also go to the American Dog Trainers Network Website at: http://www.canine.org/
    I'm sure they must be able to tell you about books and trainers in your area.
    Good luck and don't give up. It takes a lot of patience to train a dog.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Sounds like that owner needed training worse than the dog, Chuck. I missed that one....but imagine expecting the dog to be happy and well behaved, and staking it outside...

But the point I was going to reiterate is this: Training is as much for the owner as it is the dog. It teaches us as owners how to become the "alpha", and gives us the tools to bring home for real training. Just too bad you can't train a cat! Butter could use it!

Logan

When we trained Dixie Belle, we noticed that she learned and minded better with sign language, rather than voice commands. If I want her to sit, I point to the ground. If I want her to stay, I hold my hand up, like I'm saying "STOP" I say the voice commands too, but it really is not really needed with her.
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

And speaking of Golden Retrievers, have you, Golden fans and others, ever been to this site: http://www.topgoldenretrieversites.com/
    It has every site in the Net

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Oh, Karen, I'm so glad you brought that to our attention! That Ollie was one special Golden Retriever, and wasn't he beautiful? Brought tears to my eyes to read her tribute to him. Thanks so much for reminding us about him.

Looks like we have sort of made this a Golden Retriever message, so I must put my two cents worth in for my favorite Golden Retriever site, at least the one I visit often. It is the MSN Golden Retriever Community. http://communities.msn.com/GoldenRetriever/homepage

I have tought my dog a lot of my dog basic stuff from a website. The website is www.howtoloveyourdog.com You can look around that website and see if you can find the same papers that I did. Hope this helps!