Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam was attacked by a dog

Sam was attacked by a dog

I feel so horrible for my sweet boy.

Yesterday we were walking Sam and Molli, and we walked by one of our neighbor's in the apartments. He's got two black and white pitties who have always been very friendly towards us and the dogs. They weren't on a leash, but we didn't think anything of it.

Out of nowhere, one of the dogs just attacked Sam. Molli got out of the way, but this dog was just ripping into Sam. It only lasted a few seconds before the owner got his dog off of Sam, but the damage was done. He was bleeding everywhere, we rushed into the nearest emergency vet and had to leave him there for several hours. He was okay, just needed tons of stitches. It was a gaping wound on his neck/shoulder, and another on his other shoulder. I mean, Sam was no match for this big of a dog. Molli would've been dead.

It wasn't like when Springen was bit in the face by the pittie at my brother's apartments. That was two unneutered males together, and the dog had been abandoned. They were staring funny at each other before it happened. It could've been avoided. And Springen did fight back. He was fine, just a couple bigger puncture wounds.

Anyway, Sam's home today, on pain pills and antibiotics. Been pretty spoiled today. The stress of the whole thing caused his fur to start shedding like crazy and he smells funny. Poor guy

Now about the dog and his owner. I just don't know what to think. This neighbor is so nice, always has been. He didn't know his dog was aggressive, and neither did we. But this dog literally attacked out of no where. I can understand a fight, staring and growling and all that. But this was completely unprovoked. We did choose to let the front desk know, I honestly felt a little bad because Pit Bulls are not allowed in our complex and I know he'll have to leave. But I just don't feel safe walking my dogs with a dangerous dog in the complex, whether Pit Bull or Golden Retriever or any other breed. Sam was very close to losing his life. I've never seen anything like it.

The guy came by today and paid us 300 of our 450 dollar vet bill. He wanted to see Sam, and I could tell he was about to cry. I felt bad for him, too. I know it's the owner and not the dog.... but in this case I just don't know. I know I don't see "behind the scenes", but this guy seems to really love his dogs. He didn't seem to do anything different than I would do.

Sorry for the long thread, this was just so upsetting for me. My dogs have been in fights before, but I have never witnessed such a.... ruthless attack. This dog seriously had something wrong with it. I don't know. And my poor Sam. He's so sweet and he didn't deserve this. Not only the physical but the psychological damage it can do.

Prayers and thoughts for my Sam, so he can heal with the least pain possible. He'll be okay, I just hate to see him in such pain. I'll post pics of my boy later on.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Oh No, HOW TERRIBLE for Sam and you. That had to be so scary. I am so relieved that Sam will eventually heal physically but I suppose he won't forget what happened. Poor dog was just minding his own business. Thank Goodness you or Molli didnt get attacked. Dont apologize for the long post; I understand you need to talk about what happened. Please dont feel bad about saying something about the attack to the front desk; they need to know. If you didnt, his dogs might attack and kill a dog or small child. Yes, of course, Sam will be in my prayers... and you too. It had to be a very frightening experience... Kay in NC

I'm so sorry this happened to Sam. You are lucky that the owner paid for the vet bill (well most of it), I've seen numerous dogs come into the clinics that have been attacked by big dogs, and the majority of these owners of the big dogs are highly irresponsible and extremely uneducated about responsible dog ownership. And they all have 'no money' which is another huge issue. Your dog attacks another dog, that is ON YOU!
    Were the dogs off leash with the owner nearby? Or did they get out somehow? You said they appeared out of nowhere so I'm assuming got out somehow. Do you know if they are neutered/spayed? Bully breeds, as most of us know, are animal aggressive and have a very high prey drive. And unfortunately when they are off-leash and/or get out, they tend to 'gang up' and attack. This is not true with all bully breeds, but this tends to be the cause with the aggressive ones.

I hope everything turns out okay, and I hope that Sam heals up soon! Keep up updated, too!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I am really glad the guy was willing to pay. He said he'd pay the rest in a few days.

Lablover, well I meant the attack came out of nowhere. I knew the dogs were there, but they ran up from behind when the attack actually happened. I didn't see them coming. The owner was nearby, he was playing with them. The rule is dogs aren't supposed to be off leash apparently. I'm guilty of breaking it myself, I often play fetch with Molli and Sam in some of the grassy areas. However, he wouldn't attack anyone.
    If I remember right, the male is unneutered. The other dog I didn't notice whether it was male or female.

Here's a picture of my boy without his cone on, sitting on my lap while I'm here on PT. We found putting a cone on and just flipping it upside down keeps his back leg from itching the bandages. He won't stay in one place for long, he's so uncomfortable.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

How awful for Sam. I hope he heals quickly.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh Man, no Sam! I love that little guy Heal up fast buddy!

I am so sorry to hear about this. So glad Sammy is okay though. I really don't have advice, but I will say I don't blame you for obviously not wanting an aggressive dog around. I wouldn't either, regardless of breed! Sam could have very well been a smaller animal(MOLLI!) or a toddler! Who knows what could have happened then? I am so sorry. Please keep us updated on the situation.

At least the owner is taking responsibility for this. Some people have major issues with dog fights like this from what I've heard.

Just a question..could it may have been out of play? I am sure this seems like a ridiculous question but Pitties are powerful dogs. I just refuse to believe that Pitbulls are "wired wrong" like some people think, and I know of course you never believed that about them. I am just bringing up a possible suggestion. I know it's a long shot, but ya never know.

Awwww, poor Sam. He looks worn out. You are very lucky the owner is helping you out with the bill. It sounds like it was just a fluke thing. But I hope the owner will take this lesson and not have the dogs off leash. From the sound of it, they may not be there much longer anyway.
    Please give Sammy a gentle hug and a kiss on his little nose from me.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

sooooo sad to hear this. poor guy. I really hope he feels better soon.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I'm so sorry that this has happened. I'm not a dog expert but I would think that any animal that isn't fixed would be more aggressive than one that is fixed. Hopefully this dog will be fixed soon. I hope that Sam will make a speedy recovery. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Blog Entries
    Good thoughts & prayers sent Sam's way.

Poor Sam . I hope he has a nice and quick recovery. Give him a hug and smooch from me!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Hello, I saw your thread last night and posted. I didnt see the photo until now; he looks so sad and probably hurting some but I'm sure he was glad to be near you. How is he today- Sunday? Did he sleep much last night... and did you? Wonder if he will be even more sore today? Kay in NC

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I'm so glad that Sam is going to heal. And I'm glad the other owner has contributed.

But, I've got to ask -- why isn't anyone filling out a police report?
    When I was 12, I was mauled by a St. Bernard. He grabbed me by the head (I had been down on my knees playing with my dog) and shook me like a rag doll. He put my entire head in his mouth and drug me around. He left. I played dead. He came back and mauled me some more. Almost 400 stitches later, they had my lip and ear sewed back on. Luckily, most of the scars are under my hair line.

My folks filled out a police report. When the police came to investigate, they told us that this same St. Bernard had already killed 2 dogs and I was the THIRD child he had bitten!

Fill out a police report! Get it on the record. As awful as it is -- imagine how bad you'd feel if the next time he kills a dog -- or a child!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Sam, we are praying for you to feel better quickly, and have a super recovery - both physically and emotionally.

How scary, and for you to be right there, and not able to help your boy!

The owner sounds reasonable from your description, coming over to check on Sam, near tears. And neither of his dogs had shown this in the past, at least not that you know of. He (the owner) seems like he KNOWS this is a major issue, for him, for his dog, for living there, just all around.

I can certainly understand if he didn't have the whole amount handy, that doesn't surprise me, I seldom have much cash on hand.

Hugs to you, and gentle pets to Sam.

Keep us posted on his recovery!

Sam will be in my thoughts and prayers. It is a shame this this little fella has to suffer through no fault of his own. I am glad to hear that the owner is taken some responsiblity and is helping with the vet bill. Hopefully his injuries will heal fast and this will not leave psychological scares in his future.

Alysser
    Just a question..could it may have been out of play? I am sure this seems like a ridiculous question but Pitties are powerful dogs. I just refuse to believe that Pitbulls are "wired wrong" like some people think, and I know of course you never believed that about them. I am just bringing up a possible suggestion. I know it's a long shot, but ya never know.
    EVERY bred of dog was created by man for a specific purpose. This was done by selective breeding over many generations. The Pit bull, or Staffordshire terrier was breed for the purpose of killing rats aboard sailing ship. It is true with the right control that they can become loving pets. The problem is the prey instinct is so deeply rooted the Pitty can NEVER be trusted in places where they are not under complete control. I have lived long enough to see to many heart breaking situations where this was the case. I am not a Pit Bull hater, just someone that has
    lived long enough to see what happens when your back is turned. I hear Pitty lovers argue that Goldens or Lab bite more than Pit Bulls. Statistically this may be true but it is also true that theses Breeds outnumber the Pitty by Hundreds to one and there is a differents between a bite and a mauling.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

From years 1989-1994.
    57% of the deaths were in children under 10 years of age.
    81% of the attacks involved an unrestrained dog.
    22% of the deaths involved an unrestrained dog OFF the owner's property.
    59% of the deaths involved an unrestrained dog ON the owner's property.
    18% of the deaths involved a restrained dog ON the owner's property.
    10% of the dog bite attacks involved sleeping infants.
    The most commonly reported dog breeds involved were pit bulls (24 deaths), followed by Rottweilers (16 deaths), and German shepherds (10 deaths).

Sorry to hijack your thread. I just think we need to be informed.