Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoey is in heat ... upset!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post

BUT, on that note.....my friends dog was in heat and in their own backyard. They caught a male dog JUMPING their fence coming out of the yard!! Sure enough, she got pregnant. Male dogs can smell a dog in heat from a long ways away. So maybe mention this to them and just have them not leave Zoey in the backyard unattended.
    YES, I thought of that also. Zoey could be inside the yard/fence and male dog might jump over.

I sure hope that everything will work out and that she'll be able to be spayed after her heat cycle is over. I too would be worried that other male dogs would be able to smell her being in heat and they'd try to get to her.

Your daughter and her boyfriend should've been putting money aside when they first adopted her. Then they would've had enough money to spay her when she was old enough. I hope they learned their lesson. Good luck.

Where are you located? There has to be some low-cost spay and neuter clinics near by.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I sure hope that everything will work out and that she'll be able to be spayed after her heat cycle is over. I too would be worried that other male dogs would be able to smell her being in heat and they'd try to get to her.

Your daughter and her boyfriend should've been putting money aside when they first adopted her. Then they would've had enough money to spay her when she was old enough. I hope they learned their lesson. Good luck.
    I talked to them and they are going to have her spayed in April when my daughter has another break from college.

The boyfriend smokes and I have asked him if he would consider quitting. I mentioned today that he could be saving money to take care of Zoey if he would quit smoking.

Their yard is fenced in such that another dog couldn't get into the yard thankfully.

Thanks again all for your thoughts. I really appreciate it!

Two questions, how long does a dog's heat cycle last? And how far apart are they? (((HUGS))) for Zoey and I"m glad her people are making plans for her spaying next month.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    and honeslty, it's good that she went through one heat before being spayed. It gets the hormones flowing and allows the growth plates to close sooner, causing shorter bones that are less likely to be weak and break. I'll always make sure to let my dogs go through at least one heat before spaying.
    This is a myth. There are a HOST of reasons why a dog should be spayed before it gets its first heat, the biggest one, by far, to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I spent three minutes, and found this information readily available:

*In the United States, most dogs are spayed between 5 and 8 months of age. Many animal shelters and veterinarians are starting to spay female animals at a younger age, even at 2 months. This early spaying does not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals spayed early than those spayed at a more traditional age. It must be remembered that younger animals may need different anesthetics and are more prone to hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) during surgery. As long as procedures are modified to account for these differences, early neutering is very safe. In fact, animals spayed at a younger age often have faster recoveries than those spayed when they are older.

Then this:

•If your dog has not yet had her first heat, consider having her spayed before that occurs and you can avoid the complications that arise if she is spayed while in heat or that can occur if you wait until after she has been in heat to have her spayed. A common misconception lingers that a dog should not be spayed before her first heat cycle. There are actual health benefits, such as the decreased likelihood of certain types of cancer, if a dog is spayed before her first heat. An infection of the uterus called pyometra can also occur in dogs and cats a few weeks after their heat cycle ends. If the pet is spayed before her first heat cycle, the possibility of this life-threatening condition can be eliminated. The spay surgery can generally be performed at any point after a dog is 8 weeks old, though about 4 months of age is often considered the ideal time.

Two separate sites, biased? I think not. But, in case you are not convinced, THIS material is straight from a BREEDERS site.

http://www.breeders.net/k9-articles/.../dogs-in-heat/
    When should I spay my dog?

If you are not planning on breeding your dog, it is best to have her spayed prior to her first heat cycle. Doing so is protective against many types of cancer later in life. Many shelters insist on spaying all dogs before placement so spaying may be done as early as six to eight weeks of age. At traditional veterinary clinics, it is much more common to spay at six months.

One common myth is that a dog will somehow mature better if she is allowed to go through one heat cycle prior to being spayed. In fact, there is no such advantage, and waiting to spay your dog actually puts her at a disadvantage because she is at a much higher risk of developing mammary cancers later in life.

Another myth is that your dog should be allowed to have one litter before spaying so she will be a better pet or so your children can experience “the miracle of life.” Again, not true. There is no advantage to having your dog reproduce before spaying her, and your children might be much better served by spending time working at a shelter to experience the misery of abuse and neglect suffered by unwanted puppies.

Here is a sad fact from the Atlanta Humane Society, one which is mirrored at most other shelters in large cities: “20 tons of dead animal bodies produced in one year in the Atlanta Area alone.” The moral of the story? Don’t breed your dog unless you have good reason to, such as furthering the breed for show or competition purposes by conscientiously and responsibly pairing dogs who are prime examples of the breed standard.

Back to the OP- I know she is your daughter's dog, and she is still trying to make her way out in this big world, but, please continue to do what you can to see that Zoe gets into the clinic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Two questions, how long does a dog's heat cycle last? And how far apart are they? (((HUGS))) for Zoey and I"m glad her people are making plans for her spaying next month.
    Hi Elyse. They go into heat twice a year. It can last 3 weeks but they do not bleed the entire time.

She will accept those hugs. She is a wiggler and a cuddler and a big licker!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    This is a myth. There are a HOST of reasons why a dog should be spayed before it gets its first heat, the biggest one, by far, to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I spent three minutes, and found this information readily available:

*In the United States, most dogs are spayed between 5 and 8 months of age. Many animal shelters and veterinarians are starting to spay female animals at a younger age, even at 2 months. This early spaying does not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals spayed early than those spayed at a more traditional age. It must be remembered that younger animals may need different anesthetics and are more prone to hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) during surgery. As long as procedures are modified to account for these differences, early neutering is very safe. In fact, animals spayed at a younger age often have faster recoveries than those spayed when they are older.

Then this:

•If your dog has not yet had her first heat, consider having her spayed before that occurs and you can avoid the complications that arise if she is spayed while in heat or that can occur if you wait until after she has been in heat to have her spayed. A common misconception lingers that a dog should not be spayed before her first heat cycle. There are actual health benefits, such as the decreased likelihood of certain types of cancer, if a dog is spayed before her first heat. An infection of the uterus called pyometra can also occur in dogs and cats a few weeks after their heat cycle ends. If the pet is spayed before her first heat cycle, the possibility of this life-threatening condition can be eliminated. The spay surgery can generally be performed at any point after a dog is 8 weeks old, though about 4 months of age is often considered the ideal time.

Two separate sites, biased? I think not. But, in case you are not convinced, THIS material is straight from a BREEDERS site.

http://www.breeders.net/k9-articles/.../dogs-in-heat/
    When should I spay my dog?

If you are not planning on breeding your dog, it is best to have her spayed prior to her first heat cycle. Doing so is protective against many types of cancer later in life. Many shelters insist on spaying all dogs before placement so spaying may be done as early as six to eight weeks of age. At traditional veterinary clinics, it is much more common to spay at six months.

One common myth is that a dog will somehow mature better if she is allowed to go through one heat cycle prior to being spayed. In fact, there is no such advantage, and waiting to spay your dog actually puts her at a disadvantage because she is at a much higher risk of developing mammary cancers later in life.

Another myth is that your dog should be allowed to have one litter before spaying so she will be a better pet or so your children can experience “the miracle of life.” Again, not true. There is no advantage to having your dog reproduce before spaying her, and your children might be much better served by spending time working at a shelter to experience the misery of abuse and neglect suffered by unwanted puppies.

Here is a sad fact from the Atlanta Humane Society, one which is mirrored at most other shelters in large cities: “20 tons of dead animal bodies produced in one year in the Atlanta Area alone.” The moral of the story? Don’t breed your dog unless you have good reason to, such as furthering the breed for show or competition purposes by conscientiously and responsibly pairing dogs who are prime examples of the breed standard.

Back to the OP- I know she is your daughter's dog, and she is still trying to make her way out in this big world, but, please continue to do what you can to see that Zoe gets into the clinic!!!
    Well said, and well researched.
    To answer the questions about canine heat cycles, puberty occurs at 6-18 months of age, sooner for smaller breeds and later for larger breeds. There are two breeding seasons per year, roughly every 6 months, and may be at any time but typically during spring and fall. The estrus cycle lasts on average 12-21 days, but varies between individual dogs.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I can also give you many accredited sites as to why you may want to wait. Everyone has a different view and mine is not incorrect or 'false'.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longt...uterindogs.pdf

Yes, some cancers may lower because of spaying, but others increase.

Here are some reasons you may not want to spueter

• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
    common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis
    • increases the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by
    a factor of >5; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds
    • triples the risk of hypothyroidism
    • increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6-2, a common health problem in dogs with many
    associated health problems
    • causes urinary “spay incontinence” in 4-20% of female dogs
    • increases the risk of persistent or recurring urinary tract infections by a factor of 3-4
    • increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially for female dogs
    spayed before puberty
    • doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors
    • increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
    • increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

While this is why it may benefit

positive side, spaying female dogs
    • if done before 2.5 years of age, greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors, the most common
    malignant tumors in female dogs
    • nearly eliminates the risk of pyometra, which otherwise would affect about 23% of intact female
    dogs; pyometra kills about 1% of intact female dogs
    • reduces the risk of perianal fistulas
    • removes the very small risk (≤0.5%) from uterine, cervical, and ovarian tumors

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

This is from a lab breeder's website, written by a veterinarian
    http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

You will find information for both sides if you look anywhere... to each their own. I'm just telling her from my point of view, nothing is terribly wrong in this situation. Maybe it is to you.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I don't get what the problem is, its their dog not yours and as long as they are going to watch her and not breed her there's no problem.
    The dog should go through a first heat cycle and be a year when they are spayed so whether they know or not having no money to get her done is actually better for her.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post

The boyfriend smokes and I have asked him if he would consider quitting. I mentioned today that he could be saving money to take care of Zoey if he would quit smoking
    No lectures please. I smoke, but I'm a dumb grown adult. Anyway, my point is that I never smoke around Mz Logan. I head outside. I make sure she's wandering around the yard and not close to me. Just an FYI.

I've been Boooo'd!

I'm glad you know that Karen. I am surprised by people I know who don't realize smoke hurts their pet too.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen View Post
    No lectures please. I smoke, but I'm a dumb grown adult. Anyway, my point is that I never smoke around Mz Logan. I head outside. I make sure she's wandering around the yard and not close to me. Just an FYI.
    Yes, they smoke outside too. I would take Zoey from them immediately if they didn't. My daughter does not smoke.

@monicahonda- I am not being nasty or mean or argumentative. I don't want a single person reading this thread to come away with thinking it is a good idea to wait to alter their animal.

I wanted to address what you said here:

... and honeslty, it's good that she went through one heat before being spayed. It gets the hormones flowing and allows the growth plates to close sooner, causing shorter bones that are less likely to be weak and break.
    That is simply not accurate, from a medical standpoint. It is a long standing myth.

You then posted information that has limited relevance to most animals, again, from a medical standpoint. Absolutely, there are things that happen when one removes an organ from a body- human and animal alike. In fact, the surgery itself poses a risk. I have had a cat die from myocardial infarction, related to a spay. It was a kitten and crushed my mother and I. Had we known, we would not have had Gracie spayed. However, in most cases, the benefits far, far outweigh the risks.

You will find information for both sides if you look anywhere... to each their own. I'm just telling her from my point of view, nothing is terribly wrong in this situation. Maybe it is to you.
    I do think it is terribly wrong (not the OP, specifically....). Every week- and I have said this before on here- every week, I house 4 to 5 dogs in my basement, overnight. This is part of the 20-30 dogs moved through Cincinnati that I am a part of. There are many more groups, many more dogs. I take no credit for my part- it is a small part. A very small part. Puppies, old dogs, PB, mixed mutts, you name it. They come from a particular section of KY that is simply horrible in terms of humane treatment of animals. These dogs are hanging on by hours sometimes to life. Why? There are too many animals. Too. Many. Animals. No homes, death by gassing chambers, healthy animals PTS daily. I get- no lie, no exaggeration- 20 or so emails a DAY begging and pleading for animals lives. It breaks my heart every time I delete an email knowing there isn't much hope for that dog. It keeps me up at night. It makes me cry in my basement, alone, knowing these 4-5 dogs are the 'lucky' ones. I can't save them all. No one person can.

But, what I can do is scream loud and often-ALTER YOUR PET. Do it NOW. Do it because it is the ONLY way we can turn things around. Every single one of us needs to be on board with the pet overpopulation. Accidents happen, dogs get out, puppies are born, and dogs die because of that cycle.

Hate me. Call me argumentative, call me a know-it-all, call me unreasonable. Call me a radical. Call me whatever you want to call me.

Just let me know if I can call YOU when I need the next litter of puppies saved from the gassing chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Their yard is fenced in such that another dog couldn't get into the yard thankfully.
    My friends thought the same thing about their yard. I'm just saying.....please make sure they are very careful, that's all.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)