Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some help. Training Advice?

I need some help. Training Advice?

I've been holding off posting this, but I've realized today that I can't. I have tried to train Mikey off 2 things I absolutely cannot stand anymore. I hate dreading taking my dog for a walk, it's been like this for awhile now, and it's taken a turn for the worse. I just hate being irritable when I get back from walks, I hate getting mad at him. I would love walking him if he didn't do these two things: Barking and attempting to chase cars, and Pulling on the lead. The pulling is horrendous. I have tried multiple times to train this out of him, and I guess I'm doing it wrong? He has pulled my arm really hard, causing pain, and honestly I know he doesn't mean it but I can't take it. He's a strong dog and it's very frustrating. I have also tried harness and a british training lead..to no avail. What I would do, is make him sit every time and wait for me, hold the leash tightly. He could choke himself and not even care. I just don't get it.

The barking/attempting to chase cars is ridiculous. I have never seen or heard of any dog who does this. It's not only annoying, it's dangerous to his well-being. If he ever got off the leash, he'd go after a car for sure. I really really want to work with him on both these things. I honestly have no idea where to start, especially with the whole chasing cars thing. I've tried distracting him with treats..didn't work either.

I am just asking for advice. I really need to end this. I want to enjoy walking Mikey. Any Advice?

I just read an awesome book by Turid Rugaas called My Dog Pulls, What Do I Do? Amazing book. Have you looked into clicker training? It's a life saver. There are lots of methods to use...

Here is a blog post by my awesome friend Kim

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/418007/d...ted_dog/361147

Check out Kikopup and tab289 on youtube.

Here are some other things about llw

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti....htm#behaviors

As to the cars, I'll ask my dog training friends if there is any literature on it...

Also:

Do you walk him on a harness? If not, I would. And to help curb pulling for the moment (isn't going to curb) I would look into the Freedom No Pull harness. It's got the best reviews for a no pull harness, better than the Easy Walk and it is better for short haired dogs because it won't rub the fur off under their legs.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I have never tried clicker training, I've read stuff on it though, but never tried it. Where do I get the stuff for it? I'm desperate.

As for the harness, well right now I use the British Training Lead. If you don't know what that is, basically just a loop you put around the dogs neck, not attach to a collar and it gets tighter as they pull(sort of like a choker chain without the chain part). He just chokes himself though, he doesn't care. I have a harness, but it hasn't exactly helped at all.

Hi, Sorry to hear you are struggling. My little dachshund Henry used to try to chase school buses or big trucks (!!!!!). One quick jerk, not cruelly, but definitely an attention getter and a firm "NO!", is what I did. He is very good now about the big vehicles and knows he is not allowed to do that. It might take a few repititions of that. Others may say that was not very kind, I don't know. I am very gentle with my dogs otherwise, this is the only time I've had to be very firm, physically. I was terrified he would somehow get hurt.

As to the pulling, I just stop when they pull. I wait for them to look at me (acknowledge who's got the leash) and then I continue. If they pull, I stop. Sometimes I will start walking the opposite direction. They really get the idea. They have also learned when I say "Wait" they slow down and pay attention. Persistence paid off with them both.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
    "Dost thou think that because thou art virtuous there shall be no cakes and ale?"

You could take him to obdience classes.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Things that tighten around the neck and jerking have led to neck problems and thyroid problems, that is why I suggest a harness. If he's pulling that hard, he could be doing real damage to his neck area.

For clicker training, check out

http://www.clickertraining.com/

http://www.clickertrain.com/whatis.html

And I would check out kikopup on youtube. She has videos on what clicker training is and how to do it. I've spent hours just typing clicker training in and watching videos.

About the car, it's just about getting his attention off the car... Building his attention span on you and rewarding it. Build up to being around cars. Get an attention cue (like a kiss noise) and treat it constantly, kiss treat kiss treat, in the house, garage, back yard, build up your distractions. Eventually when you get outside and a car passes, before you see him getting amped up about to go for it, kiss, get attention and treat like crazy until the car passes. It'll take work, but dog training isn't about being lazy. To see results you have to put lots of time in.

I believe even places like Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus are selling clickers now. All you need are clicker and treats! And a happy voice, love, and a toy if he's toy motivated.

I should be the last person to give you advice on this, because I have the same issue with Zoee. Except she barks at any other dogs or sounds of dogs. She pulls too.
    At the shelter we sell a harness called Sensible Harness. The leash latches in the front on the dogs chest. When they pull it just turns them around, away from what they are pulling toward.
    I have used this with Zoee and it works a little. But I'm just not consistent in working with her. Its all my fault, not hers. She is a good dog. I'm not such a good dog mom.

I also did some training with a person who used to be on here (Giselle). It's an exercise to teach the dog that distractions are a good thing. Only when I did this with Zoee she had too many treats and had an upset tummy that night. Oops.
    Anyway, I had her in a sit and everytime she averted her eyes from me I gave her a treat. I would have used the clicker, but she is afraid of it. So I just had a trigger word, for example GOOD. So she looks away...GOOD (immediately) and then a treat to follow. We did this in my front yard, and Sophie had Ivy in her car with her. She took her out and walked around us. Then we stepped it up and went to PetSmart and walked around there.
    So for Mikey I guess you would start on a not so busy road and work your way up to a busier street. Or start in your front yard, if you have cars that go by.

Like I said, I can tell people all day things to use to train their dogs. But I can't do it with my own.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That is a fun game taz_zoee I think its like the look at that game. You can Google that too lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I do really appreciate it. The only qualm I have with treats is that we just recently took Mikey for a well-visit at the vet and he gained 3 pounds. We're trying to make him loose that.

As for the harness, Cindy, we had the same exact harness. I'm going to look for that again and read up a bit on clicker training. I feel guilty to because I KNOW it's my fault. I have not kept up with training him at all and I know it is my fault. I got frustrated last time I tried to train this out of him and I know it takes patience. I just never met a dog so persistant on being annoying a dog about pulling and chasing cars.

I use a prong choker chain. Coco (lab mix) was a HUGH puller, not now he walks slightly ahead of me or beside me and we both love walking. He pulled every muscle in this body before I went to this type of collar. I barely have to tug on the leash and he immediately stops pulling if he gets walking little faster than me. They (collar) looks horrible but they dont hurt the dog.

Harness never worked for large breed dog like Coco.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I totally understand your frustration Alyssa! My Rita is extremely dog aggressivewdmnfsdfklgjfdlkb kzdfl.ck,dmsand it makes it hard to walk her or take her anywhere. So I tend not too. My big issue is if I walk her, and someone has a dog offleash (people are stupid and think it's okay to let their dog come up to a strange dog) and let their dog approach my dog. I KNOW my dog is aggressive, hence I have her on a leash AT ALL TIMES, absolutely no excuses whatsoever. So my issue is if a dog approaches my dog, and my dog attacks that dog, (of course I would do everything in my power to prevent this and stop this) and causes that dog harm, that is not on me. See, my dog is properly restrained on a leash and gentle leader, and this other dog is unsupervised and/or off a leash. And I know that the roles switched, I would be the one to blame, because, well, there are leash laws! Ugh ok on to your questions, lol!

Have you tried the Gentle Leader with Mikey? It works very similar to a horse head halter. If you lead a horse by the head, the body will follow. Same with dogs! With this you would need to walk him in a heel (on your left side). As for the cars, the main focus would be to get his attention on you and not the passing cars. Try high value treats (such as bits of turkey, carrots, his dry dog food, something he really likes) and praise him for not reacting to the cars. Teach him to 'watch me' and hold the treat right by your face to get his attention on you for at least 10 seconds, and then try to work up from there. This is what I do with Rita, and it does help! I hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Weight loss should never interfere with clicker training. Up the exercise, gradually lower the amount of kibble. Then decrease kibble a little more to account for all the treats you are using. Some days will be more treats less kibble, other days can be more kibble less treats. when you arent working in a distracted area, like beginning in house or garage, you can use the kibble as the treat. You can also find a fruit or veggie he likes and use a small amount of that as treats in a low distraction area. Upping the exercise is a good idea too.

My dogs love carrots. If Mikey likes them you could cut up baby carrots.
    There is also a treat called Charlie Bears that we also sell at the shelter. They are a low calorie treat. They actually look like soup crackers you'd get in a restaurant. Honestly, a lot of dogs don't like them. But it's worth a shot, right?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Me and my mom are going to Petsmart this week and are going to look into Obedience Training for Mike. I am going to look up clicker training info, when I have time. I will take all your suggestions to heart of course. Thanks for the information guys I appreciate it!