Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Race

The team that got eliminated seemed kind of doomed before the start, and then misread the clue, which was their own fault, sadly! And I doubt the docs will ever make that mistake again!
    I've Been Frosted

I felt bad for today's eliminated team. They changed buses, which worked against them; and then they misunderstood the road block. Had they gotten the shoe shine task correct I think they might not have been eliminated.

I'm rooting for ... the oil field guys, the dating couple from Massachusetts, and the baseball wives - who remind me of last season's roller derby moms.

I wonder why the teams were told to make such a long bus trip. Why not just have them go by air?
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 10-07-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I felt bad for today's eliminated team. They changed buses, which worked against them; and then they misunderstood the road block. Had they gotten the shoe shine task correct I think they might not have been eliminated.

I'm rooting for ... the oil field guys, the dating couple from Massachusetts, and the baseball wives - who remind me of last season's roller derby moms.

I wonder why the teams were told to make such a long bus trip. Why not just have them go by air?
    That is always part of the race - using different methods of transportation, and doing so correctly! I am sure if the eliminated team had not wasted time badgering the poor old shoeshine guy, and reread the clue, they probably would not have been eliminated!
    I've Been Frosted

I am bummed about tonight's elimination. That was one of the teams I was rooting for. They got caught by flight delays.

I was wondering about the teams speaking Spanish to their taxi drivers, though. Were they assuming that their Portuguese taxi drivers also spoke Spanish, or did they establish that they had Spanish as a mutual language with their driver? I would love to go to Lisbon and see the place where the check-in was ... it looked interesting and beautiful.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

There is enough similarity between Spanish and Portuguese than one can make ones self understood in the other language if you speak one well. I am told it is just the verb endings that are different, in general - my grandfather spoke Swedish(his family), French Canadian (his wife's family), English, Polish, and Portuguese, but if necessary, could "get along" in Spanish ... He was the chief of police in a New England mill town, so learned the languages of the immigrants who came to work the mills.

I felt bad for the eliminated team, they seemed like good guys. I predict that the team with the extra express pass keeps it as long as possible, in trying to leverage it without regard for anyone else's feelings about anything! If there's no penalty for not giving it away, I wonder if they just end up not giving it to anyone!
    I've Been Frosted

Wow, I would like to visit Norway!

Edited to say - I would like to visit Norway, and Scandinavia in general. When I went with the team from church to St. Petersburg in Russia, we were there in July. It never got truly dark at night. 11 PM was more like dusk. I'd like to go there again, too.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 10-20-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Scandinavia is on my list of places to visit some day, as that's not only beautiful, but where some of my great-grandparents are from! Sweden, not Norway, but not as far North as they were!
    I've Been Frosted

Please correct me if I'm wrong - but I think the teams that have been eliminated the last two weeks have previously finished first? I hope the same fate befalls the team that finished first tonight!

It's the wrong time of year for paczki! Now I am craving one! I'll have to go to the doughnut shop and buy one with cream or jelly filling. Fat Tuesday is still five months away. I loved how happy the lady was who had the rose filled ones in her flat - she was so cute when they got it right!

It's the wrong time of year for paczki! Now I am craving one! I'll have to go to the doughnut shop and buy one with cream or jelly filling. Fat Tuesday is still five months away. I loved how happy the lady was who had the rose filled ones in her flat - she was so cute when they got it right!
    This was probably filmed near midsummer, given that the sun never set when they were in Norway - they must have gotten someone to make the paczki out of season!
    I've Been Frosted

Another team that I was rooting for was the last team to arrive at the pit stop. I was hoping this would be a non-elimination week. The team I'm NOT rooting for did pretty well, unfortunately.

I wanted to jump right through the TV and take a turn at trying to sing Schubert with the Vienna Boys' Choir! Some day I hope to visit Schloß Schönbrunn! Wow! (Actually ... one of my "Bucket List" trips is one my parents took about 20 years ago - a guided tour visiting Prague and Vienna.)

I wanted to jump right through the TV and take a turn at trying to sing Schubert with the Vienna Boys' Choir! Some day I hope to visit Schloß Schönbrunn! Wow! (Actually ... one of my "Bucket List" trips is one my parents took about 20 years ago - a guided tour visiting Prague and Vienna.)
    I felt truly bad for the non-musicians in this one - one of the rare challenges that I would have done well at! I don't know the German language but have sung in German, so I would have had fun! I thought the doc had the best singing voice, even if he didn't sound great in the lower octave! And thought it was okay that they didn't try to make the tone deaf people sing the note correctly - when the pronounced the words okay, got the timing right, and went vaguely up or down as the notes did, they got through, so it was more fair that way!
    I've Been Frosted

I don't know much about mosques, but the one the teams visited in Abu Dhabi looked really interesting. (No pews, though - do people sit down when they go to a mosque? Do they sit on the floor?) I noticed that the teams were a little more plainly dressed, no tank shirts on the men and no very short sleeves for the women. The cousins only got there 10 minutes ahead of the other teams but that was a good head start for them.

I'd be okay with any of the teams winning except the woman with the pink hair. Yikes!

I was a little annoyed that the baseball wives thought they should keep the location some of the dates secret, to the point that they were annoyed when the Afghanimals found it and were loud about it ... and so was okay with the fact that they still finished where they did!

I do like the team that came in first this week for the fact that they are going through the race with pretty much unabashed glee. Even when they bicker, it is over pretty quickly!

All the footage I have seen, people bring their own personal prayer rug and kneel in mosques. But we need Popcornbird to weigh in on this! What a gorgeous building, the stonework and ornamentation was just breathtaking!
    I've Been Frosted

I thought it was very nice of one of the racers to help another who was struggling. The team that got eliminated was off to a strong start, but they were tripped up by the task.

Yes, I was happy they helped a little bit, and it didn't cost any position in the race or anything.
    I've Been Frosted