Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fern: Kidney failure, need advice from those who dealt with this.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've never dealt with kidney failure but my Storm has small intestinal disease so he has to take pred in the morning and he takes the regular strength pepcid 5mg,which is half a pill, at night. I just use part of a pill pocket and wrap it in that and he thinks he's getting a treat. I hope that things will go well and that Fern will be able to keep her food down and make an overall improvement. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

I've not administered Pepcid, just the subQ's. They helped Puddy tremendously. In the beginning, they were every day, then after a while, every other day, then twice a week, etc. Regular subQ's should help w/the nausea; it did for Puddy. Prayers continuing for Fern and you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Pink Nose was just diagnosed with kidney failure (very early stage; caught it on a senior panel.) He's on fluids, and two medicines. One is called "epakitin" and is a phosphate binder. See, for example, http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/CorePro.../Epakitin.html. This is sprinkled on the food.

The other medicine is "Azodyl". "Developed by Kibo Biotech, Inc., Azodyl is marketed by Vetoquinol. Azodyl is designed to lower BUN and creatinine by populating the patient's bowel with beneficial microorganisms that catabolize the urea toxins in the intestine." (from www.felinecrf.com)

Pink Nose doesn't need Pepcid as yet; my vet said between 1/8 and 1/4 a tablet. At such a small dose, you might wish to have it compounded.

I'm fortunate that PInk Nose is such a good patient; I had to fuss with a new bag of fluids, and he was sitting there patiently waiting for me to give them to him! Good luck with Fern.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Smokey just added the felinecrf website which is excellent.
    I am afraid Fern's fur already looks ruffled in a way that points to kidneys.
    If the sub-q fluids don't work she may need IV for a night or so. I hope very much she overcomes this crisis.
    Of course eating is very important for kidney kitties. In Filou's bad times I always had success with egg yolk which was more than one time the thing that got him back to eating.
    We keep our paws crossed for Fern.

I am taking Fern back to the vet tonight. But I do not have much hope. She just seems too far gone. She hasn't kept even the smallest amount of food down.

Prayers, Jen. Kidney cats can bounce back amazingly well. I hope this is the case for Fern.

Wishing you and Fern peace whatever the outcome.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh I hope Fern rallies. Puddy rallied time and time again. Daily subQ's might be the key for a while. Keep the faythe, Jen.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I am sorry your Fern is sick. I do hope she can get better. I'll be checking back... Kay in NC

Fern will not rally. She is gone.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...37#post2337137