Thread: Kind of just need someone to talk to about this :)

Kind of just need someone to talk to about this :)

As you all probably know by now, I take in all the strays that come around here, spay and neuter them and put them in an enclosure so they will be safe from my cat killing neighbor. Well, around Christmas time during an ice storm I found another one outside on my deck frozen solid and starving so I took him in and nursed him back to health in our extra garage (alone) because I never put a new cat into the enclosure without being neutered and tested for any diseases first.

Well 'Adolf' (named that because of his black mustache) tested disease free, but when he was being neutered at the clinic for strays they dicovered he had a hidden testicle and they were not equiped to handle that at that time. They said it wouldn't be a problem though for the time being, the testicle was sterile so he couldn't breed or produce anymore unwanted kittens, but there is a risk of it developing cancer when he gets older. So, for that and other reasons, he is being 'spayed' on Wednesday to find that testicle and remove it which can be a complicated surgery but he wil be in good hands.

So, that's Adolf's history with me so far. Now for the rest of his story.

Adolf hates other cats. I have spent countless hours sitting with him out in the enclosure trying to get him to make friends with everyone so he can stay in there, but he still attacks them. They are all okay with him though and have shown no aggression even while being atacked. So after a while I figured it wasn't going to work and I put him up for adoption , which has not worked either because he has a huge attachment to ME. With each adopter, I have explained this behavioral issue with him and told them to be prepared for him to hide and cry but given time he will adjust and be just as attched to them. Well, he was just returned again for the 4th time (in less that 24 hours in his new home) because of the same reason as the others....."he's been hiding and crying like he's in pain the whole time and we didn't know what else to do but call you to come get him" And every time, as soon as I walk in the door he jumps into my arms and frantically head butts me while putting me into a choking bear hug around my neck with his paws. It's ridiculous. These families that have adopted him have been very loving wonderful people, but neither he or them have given each other a chance and I have decided I can't put him or I through that again....so he's staying.

So, now what the heck am I going to do with him? He cant stay in the extra garage alone the rest of his life and he cant roam the neighborhood because it's too dangerous and he wont go into the enclosure. I'm just praying that getting his hidden testicle removed will settle his aggression down and he'll stop the attacks and can go into the enclosure. There really is no other option that I can see. ~deep sigh~

But anyway...thanks for listening...my hubby is sick to death of all my cat dramas and doesnt want to hear about it anymore and some times I just feel so alone with al of this.
    Last edited by Too Many Cats; 03-12-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Oh goodness I just noticed this is in the wrong place. Should be under cat behavior....sorry

I moved this into Cat Behavior for you. Is there a farm who might take him to be a barn cat? I do think you have to see how and if his behavior changes after the operation, it may make a dramatic difference, especially if he's currently in pain.
    I've Been Frosted

The obvious ? is: can he be in the house w/ you?

If I had it my way Freedom they would all be inside with me. But my husband has always had 4 cat limit in the house and I'm pushing it with 7 right now. And my daughter, her husband and their 7 week old baby just moved back in with us and this is a really small house. I just cant have him fighting with the cats in here around the baby....we'd all be kicked to the curb if that happened, lol!

And actually Karen, he's not in any pain. The testicle that had dropped normally into the sack was removed in a typical neuter surgery and he can't feel the hidden one that is in his abdomon as it's considered just a birth defect which he was born with. It's only the size of a pea or smaller because it never developed, but after talking to the new vet he told me there might be a chance it is still producing a small amount of hormones and releasing them into his system....which might be the cause of his aggression still so that's why I'm having him 'spayed' too.

If he still is behaving like this after it's been removed and attacking everyone, I will sure think about just sending him to the barn I had a long talk with him tonight while we were sitting with everyone out there and told him that this is it if he wants to stay here. Otherwise it will be a farm somewhere where it wont matter how much he cries and carries on.

So keep your fingers crossed that this spay is the answer

drugs

Have you considered giving him some Prozac for a few weeks, to see if it will help? The stuff is cheap and usually chills them out immediately. It's a thought, maybe not a good one in your case, I don't know. The barn isn't a bad idea either.

Are you willing to try medication?? If so ask your vet about what might help him relax around the other cats, and maybe he can learn with time to tolerate them.

You could try a Feliway product, also. The plug in (if an outlet is available) or the spray or this collar for him to wear.
    http://www.thecatandkittenstore.com/...eliway,/Detail

No guarrentees, of course, and you could continueto attempt to rehome him.

Oh hey, I never thought about giving him Prozac !!!! I've gotten in a mind frame that meds are just for sick illnesses because I've been giving them to Lora and Max for for so long now. I forgot they make them for behavior issues too, lol! I'll get some for him...and maybe take one myself, lol!

And I have the Feliway spray but have never had any sucess with it so it just sits in the cupboard. I'll get it out and try that too. It can't hurt

Thanks guys!

Before you go "medicating" him, try Feliway. It works, trust me!! I have 7 cats in my house and it works like a charm. Get the Concentrated spray, not the plug in diffuser, as the spray works instantly.

I hope he comes around. He obviously has bonded with you. Just like Bad @$$ Buddy bonded with me. That's why I got him back. He and I are in sync with each other.

Good luck. Please try the Feliway first. I had a former cat medicated once and he totally changed. He hid all the time and was very cranky. Turned out another cat I had was bullying him. That cat, Tucker, is now living with my friends in Colorado.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!