Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A dog that does not shed

A dog that does not shed

I am currently in search of a dog for my grandmother. She had a "Snoodle" that was part snauzer and part poodle. But unfortunately someone stold him. She wants a little dog that does not shed. does anyone know of a breed. With the animal shelter you never know how big one is going to get. she wants a very small one.

Here is a partial list of small dogs that our
    light shedders but grooming is requirred
    on some.

Dachshnd/
    Schnauzer - grooming
    Maltese - grooming
    Terriers/active, fisty some grooming.
    West. High Terrier is is usually the least fisty of the terrier group.
    Eng. Toy Spaniel-grooming
    Yorkshire Terrier-grooming
    silky terr.- grooming
    Toy Poodle-grooming

Usually Pure bred dogs all have their own
    rescue. Do not rule a rescue dog that
    is no longer a puppy.
    Many of the rescues will critique each dog
    in their care and match up with the right owner.

Don't forget the bichon frise (pronounced bishawn frizhay) They don't shed, are small, adorable, and reqire little grooming if you don't show them.

I don't think an italian greyhound sheds very much--very short hair/
    Or a chihuahua?? A lady I work with has a puppy and she is trying to train it to the new dog litter!
    What about the Chinese Crested?? I would probably treat this dog more like a cat. Rarely allowed outside.

Please don't outrule animal shelters to find a dog for your grandmother. First take into consideration that animal shelters have mostly adult dogs and with an adult dog you do know how big it will be because it is already there . Second, an adult dog may be a much better choice for an older person, who may not want to deal with the antics of puppyhood. I saw a darling white poodle at an animal shelter a week ago. As the dogs they have change frequently, you might want to stop in every week to see what is up. The cost of adopting is usually very reasonable.

Originally posted by KYS:
    Here is a partial list of small dogs that our
    light shedders but grooming is requirred
    on some.

Dachshnd/
    Schnauzer - grooming
    Maltese - grooming
    Terriers/active, fisty some grooming.
    West. High Terrier is is usually the least fisty of the terrier group.
    Eng. Toy Spaniel-grooming
    Yorkshire Terrier-grooming
    silky terr.- grooming
    Toy Poodle-grooming

Usually Pure bred dogs all have their own
    rescue. Do not rule a rescue dog that
    is no longer a puppy.
    Many of the rescues will critique each dog
    in their care and match up with the right owner.

If these dogs are not going to be shown, most of them need minimal grooming. You don't metnion two of my favorites -- the Jack Russell Terrier (roughs shed less than smooths) and the Border Terrier. Either breed can be "groomed" by hand stripping the coat (it doesn't hurt as it just takes out dead hair) or left "au natural". The Border in its natural coat resembles Benjie a bit. Rescue groups are a good bet as they should be able to tell you some about the dog that shelters will not know or even care about. And I agree that an older dog is probably a better choice as most of them are already house trained and are way past that puppy teething thing that causes them to eat everything. Good luck in the search.

Forgot to mention: Border Terriers and JRTs usually go around 14 pounds and stand about 12-14 inches at the shoulder. Also, they have few inbred health problems -- though no breed is exempt.

[This message has been edited by ktreva52 (edited November 12, 2000).]

Howie Dawn,

I recomend a pug. They don't shed too much, require little to no grooming, don't require much excersise, in fact, they are just not built for much excersise, they are great at cheering you up, great with kids, great with other pets. They are a whole car full of clowns, inside one compact, funny little body. They are great for someone who likes to laugh ALOT! I think they'd be great for someone suffering from depression because they are so funny. My pug will make me laugh so much that my stomach hurts. I was making my 2 dogs do a fasion show for one of my brothers who was in town with a couple of his friends, my aussie mix had his handsome blue & grey coat with matching booties...he was reluctant to show off his outfit. When I was putting the pugs little pink turtle neck sweater on, I could feel her tremble with excitement...she simply could not WAIT to show off her sweater. When I finally got it on her little wiggle body, she ripped out of my arms, into the living room (where everyone was waiting to see her) and she ran so fast that she slid on the carpet...she slid, landed on her side, got up, let out this big "oh my god, I am so excited that I'm going to burst" gasp, she saw how everyone laughed at her running so hard that she tripped and slid, that you could tell she tried to do it again...she again took a running start and tried to slide again so she could get some more laughs. We laughed so hard that all of our stomachs hurt, we cried from laughing. She's really something.

They have alot of pug rescues, I would recomend an older dog because I have been told the puppies are sometimes hard to house train and they could be hyper, depending on the pug. I adopted mine a couple months ago, she's 7 years old and she's great.

I agree Pugs are great dogs I would suggest a Shih Tzu, they are great little dogs (happen to be my favourite) very sweet and lovable... the vet told me they don't shed. but, then again.. if u don't have the time to groom it, u don't want a Shih Tzu!!

I will keep all of the breeds in mind. I wanted to start looking early. She doesn't want to get one until the weather gets a little nicer. I have a Shih Tzu. She gets brushed once a day and bathed about twice a week and she still sheds like crazy.

Adore My Dogs Ha Ha Ha you sound like you have a fun time with your pug

someone mentioned a pug. i have one and it is the best dog. an excellent companion for an older person, but holly cow does he shed. and thats all year around.

Portuguese Water Dogs do not shed. They do require grooming and weekly brushing.

Don't get a terrier, they are just as high maintenance as a large dog. I have a Jack Russell. But if you want a low shedding, low maintenance loyal dog. Go for the littlelist...as Chihuahua, they are great for elderly people.

Originally posted by HowieDawn:
    I am currently in search of a dog for my grandmother. She had a "Snoodle" that was part snauzer and part poodle. But unfortunately someone stold him. She wants a little dog that does not shed. does anyone know of a breed. With the animal shelter you never know how big one is going to get. she wants a very small one.

These terriers are great, but the are not recommended for an elderly person at all. They require too much frequent excercise (jack russells). An elderly person may not be able to keep up with those demands. My Jack wants to go out every 20 minutes, she's great for me, but I wouldn't recommend her for and elderly woman. JR's are known to be very high maintenance, it's a fact.

Originally posted by ktreva52:
    If these dogs are not going to be shown, most of them need minimal grooming. You don't metnion two of my favorites -- the Jack Russell Terrier (roughs shed less than smooths) and the Border Terrier. Either breed can be "groomed" by hand stripping the coat (it doesn't hurt as it just takes out dead hair) or left "au natural". The Border in its natural coat resembles Benjie a bit. Rescue groups are a good bet as they should be able to tell you some about the dog that shelters will not know or even care about. And I agree that an older dog is probably a better choice as most of them are already house trained and are way past that puppy teething thing that causes them to eat everything. Good luck in the search.

Forgot to mention: Border Terriers and JRTs usually go around 14 pounds and stand about 12-14 inches at the shoulder. Also, they have few inbred health problems -- though no breed is exempt.

Its funny for everyone to call my grandmother elderly. She is 72, but I have never really thought of her in that way...considering she is always outside working in her flowergarden or watching two of her grandchildren. I am going to print off all of these replies so that she can read them and decide from that.