Thread: Upset Stomach/Runny Poop

Upset Stomach/Runny Poop

Lily's been having a hard time pooping lately according to my mom. She has an upset tummy on rare occasions, either from eating something weird or whatever, I'm not sure.

She seems fine, she's happy and was whining to me on the phone (LOL) she's just having bad gas and she had a really difficult time trying to poop yesterday.

Are there any products (like a stool softener, stool hardener, or laxative) that you all think might help her? I was going to order her something online, either from Drs. Foster and Smith or a similar site, I just wasn't sure what I should order her.

Thanks for the help!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    As paranoid as I am about my pupper's health, I would take her to the vet to rule out any potentially serious cause.

In the meantime, why not just try adding a little vegetable oil to her food, rather than investing in something commercially available. I've done that before, and it usually takes care of the problem. You can also try some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!!!), which works for either diarrhea or constipation. Start her out with a tablespoon - she just might lap it up plain too so you wouldn't have to put it in her food. That little devil of mine - Sparky - will lap it right out of the can!

Your title here says "runny poop", yet your post said she is having a hard time pooping. Which is it - or both???

Feel better soon Lily. Tell Mom to keep us posted, okay little one?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    As paranoid as I am about my pupper's health, I would take her to the vet to rule out any potentially serious cause.

In the meantime, why not just try adding a little vegetable oil to her food, rather than investing in something commercially available. I've done that before, and it usually takes care of the problem. You can also try some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!!!), which works for either diarrhea or constipation. Start her out with a tablespoon - she just might lap it up plain too so you wouldn't have to put it in her food. That little devil of mine - Sparky - will lap it right out of the can!

Your title here says "runny poop", yet your post said she is having a hard time pooping. Which is it - or both???

Feel better soon Lily. Tell Mom to keep us posted, okay little one?
    Okay, I'll tell my mom to try that!

Well, my mom said she took her out last night and it took her a really long time to poop. It was semi-solid but kind of runny there at the end. I mean, she gets little bouts where she goes through this and then her poop returns to normal, I think she just has a super sensitive stomach.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I have to apologize, I can't recall how old Lily is. Especially if she is a puppy, and because it sounds like she eats "odd things," she may have worms. Worms will cause the troubles indicated.

Another cause may be the food. Do you know what they are feeding her?

I agree that a vet visit is in order.

Canned pumpkin is good for both diahhrea and constipation. Just make sure you buy canned pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling, which has spices and things in it. Two tablespoons daily will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I have to apologize, I can't recall how old Lily is. Especially if she is a puppy, and because it sounds like she eats "odd things," she may have worms. Worms will cause the troubles indicated.

Another cause may be the food. Do you know what they are feeding her?

I agree that a vet visit is in order.

Canned pumpkin is good for both diahhrea and constipation. Just make sure you buy canned pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling, which has spices and things in it. Two tablespoons daily will do.
    She's five. She doesn't eat odd things, she just won't eat dog food, so therefore she has to eat people food (which is bad, bad, bad, but she's to the point where dog food will sit there for days and she won't eat no matter how hungry she gets) I know, BAD. She was fed people food a couple of times, it ruined her. That's probably why her poop is runny on occasion...

I said weird things so I wouldn't have people jumping down my throat (it's happened before lol) because she won't eat dog food, but I'm not there and can't really do anything about it, she's pretty much legally my mom's dog.

Anyway... I told my mom to try the canned pumpkin. She said we've tried it before (via calling the emergency vet once) and Lily won't eat it either so... I guess she's going to try it a second time and hope that she'll eat it.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm not going to lecture or jump down your throat over Lily's diet, but do you know just what kind of people food that she is eating? I would hope that it's at least a good quality meat such as chicken or lamb, and good veggies, and that she is also getting a good dog vitamin supplement to help with what she's missing in a normal dog diet. This diet is probably at the root of her problem, but if she is going to continue to eat it, please have your Mom give her good things, and not just whatever happens to be on the dinner table for the human family that night. Fried foods and fast food junk are a definite no-no. Sorry Lily..........

ETA - just a thought, but have you tried the Beneful Prepared Meals on Lily? They come in a 10 oz see thru plastic container in a lot of different varieties such as beef stew, lamb and rice, simmered chicken, etc. and I swear, they look good enough to be people food (almost). Nice chunks of meat, veggies or barley or rice, and just a little gravy to hold it together. They are a little expensive, but one container would last her for 2 meals - at least they did with my guys. Why don't you give this a try - she just might think she's getting people food.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 01-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I'm not going to lecture or jump down your throat over Lily's diet, but do you know just what kind of people food that she is eating? I would hope that it's at least a good quality meat such as chicken or lamb, and good veggies, and that she is also getting a good dog vitamin supplement to help with what she's missing in a normal dog diet. This diet is probably at the root of her problem, but if she is going to continue to eat it, please have your Mom give her good things, and not just whatever happens to be on the dinner table for the human family that night. Fried foods and fast food junk are a definite no-no. Sorry Lily..........
    I'm like almost positive it's not high quality stuff and that she's not getting a supplement, but yeah, it's probably definitely why she has runny poops. I'll have to talk to my mom and mention a supplement and better quality stuff for the little Princess!

ETA: I think she might have tried those, but I'm not sure. We've tried feeding her about every kind of dog food that exists, even the super expensive high quality stuff that you buy at a natural pet supply store. She's pretty stubborn and picky, but I'll suggest trying those out and see what she thinks.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan