Thread: Stove vs. cat...

Stove vs. cat...

I keep thinking about this and finally decided it might be a good idea to share this.

I have an electric stove. My cats Buddy and LuLu like to sleep on top. I always have a piece of fleece on top for them to lay on. I'm SO afraid that they'll jump up after I've shut the burner off (burners are hot to the touch till they are turned off and cool down), burning their little paws. It almost happened the other night. It was a good thing I was standing at the sink.

NOW...I put cold water in the pan I have used to cook in, and put it on top of the burner that was used. It works!!!

Just an FYI.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Durn cats!

I 'think' I've taught mine not to sit there; at least, I never SEE any of them there.

Good idea you had, Donna!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I do the exact same thing that Donna does. When I had my cats, they loved to walk across the counters and stove top, tho the only cats now are my son's two. I've never seen them by the stove, but that doesn't mean they have never gone there. It is just a practice I've kept up over the years, and it has saved humans from getting burned too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

That is a great idea! Since my little Jaxter likes to walk on the counter and the stove. We have the glass top stove and the light stays on until the burner cools down. I will make sure to do this from now on. Luckily we do not use the stove very often. We mainly BBQ all the time.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Me too

I also put the pot right back on the burner after I turn off the burner. I have a glass top stove and the cats walk all over it, all the time. I sometimes put a lid on the surface if the pot is not available.

Good thought to pass this on.........

The thoughts of having a kitty paw hit the surface just really scares me....

Yep my cats love to walk and sleep on the stove! I just replace the pots after emptying them until things cool down. I also use burner covers. And the cats love it when I put an old towel on top of all that.

Mine do not get on the counters in the kitchen or stove. I am thinking you all need to discourage this habit!

happylabs... Mine do not get on the counters in the kitchen or stove. I am thinking you all need to discourage this habit!
    Well I tried to discourage my cats from doing this but they do so anyhow! I would really have to whip them hard to keep them off and I will never hurt my kitties. I have tried swatting them, spraying them with water and yelling at them... it dont work! So now I never leave the stove until it is totally cool and I cover the burners! Lately they have lost interest in it.

Helene if you know how to keep cats from going where they please let us into the secret!!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Yes Helen .... please let us know as it would save me lots of time de-furing the cabinets and stove before cooking a meal.

***Jumps up and raises my hand**** "ME TOO!"

When I was working I saw no point in discouraging them getting on the stove and counters because they were here 12 month of the year, I was here only 6 and I would not make my time home miserable for me or for them..

Right now I am trying to teach them NOT to get up there where I am working!

But I worried about the stove thing too and came up with just putting a pot of water on the hot burner until it cooled off.. sometimes I forget though..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I have totally given up. They rule my house. END OF STORY.

Like Lilith Cherry said, please share your secret!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yep I give up too!!! Although I do run them off when I a cooking.

I also have an electric stove and have always put a pan of cold water on the hot burner when I'm done. Ever since we got that awful thing I have been scared to death that one og them will jump down on it. They do seem to know it's hot while I'm cooking and stay away and just watch.

As for keeping them off the counter, no, I fail at trying to control anything they do. They know they can get away with anything around me. Heck, they even come and eat right off my plate and I let them, lol! But it's a different story with my husband. If they are on the counter when he walks into the kitchen they panic and jump right down...usually sending whatever is in there way to the floor with them, loll! They know he will whap them them if they dont. And when that happens, they always run to me for kisses.