Thread: Nibbling, Chewing, & Chomping

Nibbling, Chewing, & Chomping

My Chinnchilla keeps chewing throuh his water bottle!!! Do they go through some sort of chewing phase or somthing?? Why dose he chew his water bottle of all things?? UGH!!! Grrr....what chould I do any body got any ideas why and how I can prevent this???

Thanks,
    Cait

bottle chewing

our chinchilas used to chew theyre water bottle,i dont think its a phase they go through,its probably because their teeth grow & they have to find things to chew on...well you can buy bottle guards in pet shops,but i just put a piece of firm mesh onto the bars behind the bottle & wired it on & the teat on the bottle should go through the bars still & that stopped them chewing it.i know im not very good at explaining so you can just email me for a better explanation if you like[or just post a reply on the boards....i hope this helps... i know what youre going through....

You could also buy toys for him to chew on. The pet stores sell wooden blocks and different things to chew on
    Ashlee

Chinchillas chew by nature, as momoftara&nell said, their teeth grow continuously, and they need to chew to keep their teeth trim. I keep chinchilla chew blocks in all of the cages, as well, I use wooden shelves and ledges for them to chew on. If after that, the chinchillas still chew the water bottles, then I usually switch to glass bottles or buy metal bottle guards to put between the bottle and the cage.

What about using a ceramic bowl for the water?