Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myndi diabetic - UPDATE

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Myndi diabetic - UPDATE

I'm thinking that maybe Myndi has now developed diabetes. Last week I had her to the vet for what appeared to be a UTI (very frequent peeing and just not the norm for her), and doc put her on an antibiotic since she did well with the same thing about a year ago. Then I noticed that she was drinking quite sizable amounts of water and peeing a river numerous times each day. She has never been a big drinker or pee-er, so this caught my attention right away. It has gotten worse the past few days, to the point where she is having trouble holding it. She will bark and tell me she has to go, but by the time I get up to get my jacket on to take her out, then it's too late! Sparky has a vet appointment tomorrow to have his mouth checked after his bout with the infected gums, so I'm just going to take Myn in too and have doc do a blood sugar on her.

Years ago, two of my three Lhasas had diabetes, and I managed both of them for about 5 years each as diabetics, but both were about 10 years old when diagnosed. They were both on insulin, so I wouldn't have a problem giving Myndi shots if I had to. The thing that worries me about her tho, is that she is older - she will be 15 in another week on the 24th of this month - even tho she is reasonably healthy otherwise. She only takes a low dose of thyroid med, and has had no more GI bleeds after her near death experience last summer. Her appetite is great and she maintains her weight where it should be.

So my question to anyone that might have any other ideas - could these symptoms be indicative of some other problem other than diabetes? Any input would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I will be ordering incontinent panties for her to wear, especially at night. I found some nice ones at a site called seniorpetproducts.com, and reasonably priced compared to other sites. I can just put in a heavy duty maxi pad too instead of paying out extra for the absorbent disposable pads. This is what I did with my female Lhasa, and it worked out very well.

And last but not least, could you spare some PT prayers for my old girl? I KNOW that they helped immensely in her recovery when she was so sick last summer, and I'm hoping you can give her a helping hand again - with whatever her problem is now. Thanks all......

I'll update tomorrow after we get back from the vet.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 01-17-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Of course, prayers for Myndi and you, Ellie. Even if she is older, I'll bet that you'll be able to get things under control quicky and easily. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Pawsitive thoughts and prayers headed out for Myndi. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Prayers and good thoughts headed your way, Ellie.

Awww, Myndi, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Prayers everything works out OK.

As far as the symptoms; I'm not familiar enough to weigh in with any suggestions. Keep us posted.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Healing thoughts and prayers going out to Myndi.

Sounds like a real bummer for poor Myndi. Prayers coming up so that it might just be a passing minor problem. Keep us posted, I'm really anxious to hear the results since I don't have any experience with tiny dogs and I might someday need it.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I don't have any idea what this might indicate but Myndi will be in
    my prayers that this is something easily fixed. I hope she isn't too
    uncomfortable.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

She's not at all "sick" or uncomfortable or anything like that. Miss Piddle-Pot is contentedly sleeping at my feet under my desk, and is acting perfectly normal - other than the waterworks issue. It's drink & pee, drink & pee, and then more drink & pee! I've been taking her out every couple of hours all day, and she produces every time, so the carpet and rest of the flooring has been spared. I doubt that overnight will be so good, but she'll spend it in my bathroom and she doesn't mind that. I just put the gate up at the bathroom door, and she can still see me in bed and hear the t.v., so it's not like she's closed off from me and she's content that way. No more sleeping in the bed until I get this issue resolved, or at least her incontinent pants. I sent for them today, so will have them before the end of the week. I had to strip my bed completely three times this week and had to wash the blanket, sheets and mattress pad each time! No more of that nonsense!!! What I don't go thru for these Fuzzbuttz!

So, I should know more about what's going on with her tomorrow. If it is diabetes, I hope that she is easy to regulate. My female Lhasa was a nightmare - one time her levels would be in the 500 or 600's, and then she would crash and I'd have to give her Karo syrup to bring her back up. My male was easier - thank goodness!

I'll let you know what's what tomorrow..........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh Myndi, sounds like you aren't feeling quite up to snuff just now.

Prayers from RI!

We'll be thinking of you both. It's good you are experienced with it, so it's not as scary for you as it would be for others. Give Myndy a kiss on the head from me, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Pawsitive thoughts and prayers headed out for Myndi. {hugs}
    From me too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I sure hope your Mynda does not have diabetes... but if she does you sound as if you could handle it. She sure is cute. I'll be checking back to see updates. Kay in NC

Just checking for news . . . .

We got back from the vet not too long ago with good new - and bad.

First the good news - she isn't diabetic. Her blood sugar was a nice healthy 122. Bad news?? - she has kidney disease. The good news there tho, she is NOT in kidney failure, tho of course that could eventually be what happens if something else doesn't get her first. It's simply age related, and doc will approach and control it as best she can with diet. So Myn is now on a low protein diet - Hills Prescription K/D canned (at $2.35 per can and by prescription only!!! ), as she won't eat dry food. Doc said to ease her into it - 1/4 of that to 3/4 of what she now gets, and then after a few days increase it to half and half, then 3/4 Hills to 1/4 what she gets now, and then eventually all Hills if she will eat it. She can have veggies like peas, green beans and carrots, and she likes all of them, so I'm hoping she won't have a problem adjusting to the new food. I'm to feed her the same volume of food that she gets now - just have to adjust what it is that she eats. Doc is pleased that she is maintaining her weight and that the appetite is good - that's very much a plus in her favor. So that's the scoop on the old girl. I know I can't expect her to live forever, and that something will take her from me one day - but I'm still not at all prepared for it.

Thanks again for the well wishes, and I did deliver that kiss to her, Karen. She LOVES kisses! If you could remember my Myn from time to time in your PT prayers, we would be so thankful for them. I'm always so thankful for my PT Family and all the support that they give.

And before I forget - since this was Sparky's vet appointment today originally - he is doing just fine. The infection in his gums has all cleared up and he will be on a monthly regimen of 5 days of antibiotics each month, so that the infection doesn't come back. Nothing will stop the plaque buildup, and doc will just scrape and snip that off as needed.

So that's the latest from the Fuzzbuttz and their Mom.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~