Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plus sized Fashion

Plus sized Fashion

I have resigned myself to being plus sized. No matter how hard I try, I always end back up in the plus racks. Through much soul-searching, I am ok with this this. I give myself permission to be overweight (this is a huge breakthrough for me)

PROBLEM IS: Plus sized clothing is truly awful. If they are not blah, shapeless frump, they are made for amazonian women. All the clothes are tailored as if you get taller as you get wider. they also love to stick shockingly ugly prints on everything.

Am I the only one who hates their options? I feel like I can't find a look that says "Kim". I want color thats sophisticated (not splashy and garsih). I want flattering cuts (as opposed to great big boxes). I want easy wash and wear. I want fabric cat hair doesn't magnetize itself to (Ok that one is a hard thing to find in any size!)

You need to be persistent - often stores that you might not think of like Macy's, Dress Barn and other department stores often have plus size things, but just a few of them so you have to look hard. I've gotten two great denim skirts at Dress Barn of all places! Check sale racks - this time of year is good for stuff left over from the holiday push, and you have to be willing to go through the racks, but I often find inexpensive pieces that will work fine year 'round. Also, look online. There's a lot more selection online, and more and more places are designing for plus-size women. And of course, adding a belt can make a "tent' more shape-fitting, for example.

http://www.onestopplus.com/

http://www.leeleesvalise.com/

are two places that seem to have some shapely things.

I hate that some places just assume anyone ever a size 12 wants black knit garments, and sweats, as you said, that are just sad and shapeless. And capris. I do not own a single pair of capris, think they are unflattering on almost everyone, and make ya look shorter than you actually are ... why oh why do they make so many of 'em?
    I've Been Frosted

C.J. Banks (my new favorite store!), Catherine's ... both have online shopping too. Then there's Lane Bryant and Torrid stores' styles, which to me are more like something you might see in a fashion magazine. I don't shop there because of the dress code at work, but if the dress code was more casual, I could.

I really like the Jessica London catalog for pants.

Coldwater Creek has sizes from small to 3XL but some of their items are too expensive for me.

I need to learn to sew because for me, the problem is sleeve lengths. I'm forever rolling up my sleeves. I moved the buttons on a couple of good blouses because the cuffs come halfway down my hand. If I could just raise the sleeve at the shoulder it wouldn't be so darn long. Plus I'm washing my hands a zillion times a day so my cuffs are always wet- I hate that. I don't have longer arms at size 28 than I did at size 22, people.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    All the clothes are tailored as if you get taller as you get wider.
    PMSL, I complain about this ALL THE TIME!!! SO great to "hear" someone else say it, thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    All the clothes are tailored as if you get taller as you get wider.
    I actually wish that was the case with clothing! I tend to find the opposite. I'm 5'9" and pretty average build I guess, but I find myself having to wear plus sizes because it seems like everything I find is meant for tall lean people. (like my 13 year old sister, she is 5'10" and still growing!) Either that or it fits width wise but is really short.

I actually have a thing with plus size. I don't think it should start at size 12. I ride right on the border of normal and plus sizes and I think honestly it would be so much better if everything was labeled/sold by measurements. Like all pants should be labeled 31"x35" (inseamXwaist) It would make buying things online much easier for a start!

Niño & Eliza

I hear you ... on both issues!

Maurices and Vanity have plus sizes, and great clothes, since they are geared to teens.

Online, try Woman Within. I buy a lot of stuff there. And try ebay. You'd be surprised at what you can find, if you don't mind searching a bit.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I absolutely LOVE Maurices. And my 2nd choice is Fashion Bug.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I probably looked like an idiot doing my Christmas shopping, but I wanted to buy nice warm sweaters for both my sister and my big brother's wife. My sister is shorter than me but has a long torso, and my sister-in-law is quite tall but not too wide, so I was measuring sleeve lengths on every sweater, trying to get my sis-in-law something that had long enough sleeves but wasn't 3x her size in the torso, and my sister something long enough in the torso but without sleeves that go past her fingertips! Took me a while, but I persevered, and both recipients were happy.
    I've Been Frosted

I was surprised to read you having so much difficulty, i would have thought that in the US OF A one would be spoilt for choice,and i mean that kindly, as i just know America has so much awesome things on offer, compared to my lil country,however we have a few plus size shops here, carpenters daughter and K & K come to mind, they are both expensive, you won't find anything much under 80 dollars an item there though.

I often like the plus size clothing better than the ones i get for myself, and just wish it were in my size.

I hope you manage to find something nice,i find it harder as getting older to find things that suit me, they seem to only cater for the young these days, that is my biggest moan, somethings i can wear, but others i look at , and think no way, can a woman in her mature years wear that, well at least not me anyhow.

Everyone no matter their size should be able to buy things that suit them, make them feel nice,not frumpy for sure, good luck.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I had the same issues when I was living in Canada not so anymore. It is not because there are many plus size options here in Italy but there are a few amazing online stores that have nice things, sizing is always perfect, quite economically prices and very good quality. I know there are a few PTers who also love it and a few of my hubby's friends moms & sisters & significant others as well. I have even gotten things for my mom from there as they don't just cater to plus size. They do it all. They have lovely undergarments (which is usually really hard to find in plus size) & their boots & shoes are amazing. I am a boot, shoe & purse addict.

Anyway, it is called bonprix. So if there is anyone in Europe or the UK that is in need of a place like this check it out. I do believe they have websites for a lot of different countries. There is definitely one for germany, uk, france, italy etc.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Wow - it is strange for me to read this. So many times when I'm shopping and not really paying attention to size, I see some of the nicest outfits - then I look at the size and it's a plus. I'm forever saying to myself - "now why can't I find something like that in my size?"

I'm a size 2 (not by choice-it was a medical issue), and I'm 66 years old. Do you know how difficult it is to find age appropriate clothes for myself??? Sure - jeans or sweats aren't a problem since they are ageless - but try to find a dress or skirt or even just causal tees. Yikes - no way I will I dress like a teen or even someone in their 20's.

When I was still working and had to dress in office appropriate clothes, finding clothes was a nightmare. I finally discovered Chadwick's mail order, and since they carried size 2 petite clothing, it became a lot easier for me. Over the years other department stores have started carrying a lot more of the very small sizes, compared to the almost nothing that used to be available.

So tiny or plus - I guess we all have problems finding clothes that suit us.

My size has been all over the map. I am now a 16-16W, but have been as high as a 22. I have found the "plus sized" stores tend to have the WORST clothing! It seems to be made for women who prefer to wear bedsheets as clothing. Standard stores DO have larger sizes, and you can find higher end looks. Is there a Kohl's near you? They have a lot of Liz Claiborne and other designers who have better lines than the "plus" stores. Stores I stay away from: Lane Bryant & Fashion Bug. Lane Bryant is OUTRAGEOUSLY priced and Fashion Bug (at least the one here) tends to have poorly made clothing. I don't know if you do any TV/online shopping, but I have found some very nice things on QVC. They have designer as well as more casual lines and, once you figure out your size compared to their size, you can do quite well.

Good luck!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

oops, Kim I forgot about this one. Don't know if there are things there you would were or not but check it out. Torrid plus size clothing

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I was going to ask if you have MASAI clothes over there, then I searched and found that there is one in Massechusets. The clothes they have are wide and a good quality.

http://www.masai.dk/dealers/dealers.asp

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight View Post
    oops, Kim I forgot about this one. Don't know if there are things there you would were or not but check it out. Torrid plus size clothing
    My favorite!!!

I don't think it's fair at all that a lot of things stores make only go up to like a size 7...

I used to have a huge issue finding clothes, but not so much anymore .

Good luck, I hope you can find some things that you like!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography