Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rufus - FIV positive needs home ASAP Update 2.8 #40

In case Rhoda is going to keep him after all, none of us mentioned, an FIV+ cat should be an indoor only cat. Two reasons:
    1. Be responsible. If he is out and about, he may end up spreading FIV to others.
    2. FIV+ cats have weak immune systems. So even "ordinary" cat ailments can be hard for them to fight off, and can become fatal.

I stopped doing TNRM when I took in Bobby, as I didn't want the ferals coming in with UTIs, and other things.

I remind my vet of Bobby's status each and every time. They tend to get antibiotics earlier, due to the weakened immune system.

Also, for the rabies vaccine:
    most cats now get live virus as a part of the shot. An FIV+ cat gets a different shot, with killed virus in it. It is still good for 3 years.

Hope this helps, and Rufus lands with Rhoda or Phesina!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Sorry to go MIA there, but I was on a plane flying home to Anchorage. I checked in with Rhoda on the other message board and received a PM. She has given me permission to post it here.
    She may join Pet Talk when she has some spare time -- she's busy with a litter of ferals right now. I get tired just reading about her day!

Hi Lisa - I had a short e-mail from Pat, introducing herself.

I have been reading the link on your web site about Rufus. I cannot respond in any way because I haven't joined the site yet but think I will as soon as I find a few moments to concentrate where I can do such a thing.

In reading the comments, there appear to be some questions about handling of Rufus.

As you know, we have worked hard to take over Animal Control. If they were still there, Rufus would have been put down right after Christmas.

Our new director is giving us a chance to rehome him, which they never would have done. We would have had 48 hours - period.

We are fully aware that Rufus can live with other FIV cats, but unfortunately we are not aware of but only one facility that takes in FIV cats in Michigan. They have told us they are full. I am searching the internet for more sites within about 400 miles. Obviously we cannot transport a cat out to California. I said 400 miles because it is a reasonable distance to arrange transportation. We have a member who would drive those miles by himself to rehome a cat. We know there is a pilot's group and also a trucker's group that do transports, but it would be realistic to find something within a reasonable distance.

Unless we can find a home that houses FIV+ cats, Rufus can only live in a home with no other cats for the protection of the cat.

Yes, if it is known that cats are non-fighters, they can live together for years without another cat being infected. This is true. But an FIV positive cat has been in a fight at some point in time or it wouldn't have FIV so for the safety of negative cats, we prefer to not place a positive cat in the same home. It is taking a risk.

As for me taking Rufus - I have a rent situation as you know. I pay extra monthly rent for my Lucy Mae. If I get another cat, I will nave to pay a $350 deposit and they will tack on $20 a month extra rent for me, even if Rufus were not positive and I could do it. I have a foster here right now. If maintenance catches me with the foster, I will just say I am cat sitting. I am allowed to do this. And then I hope they don't come in 6 months down the road and find the same cat here, or I am breaking my lease.

The reason Rufus wasn't neutered yet is just as one of the members has stated - there is no sense in putting him through that if we cannot find a home for him. If we find a home, he will definitely be neutered.

We would like to be a no kill shelter, and we will not put an animal down unless it is aggressive or has a medical problem making it unadoptable to the average home. My county has about 80,000 people and very few of these people gave the animals any thought at all until the humane society formed in May of 2008. The facility is very small. It can house about 34 dogs and 19 cats. In 2009, in excess of 1,500 cats and kittens were turned in to the facility and 1,344 were put to the gas chamber. Over 600 dogs and puppies were turned in and 50% of them were put down. The statistics for this year have not come forth yet, but I can tell you that Sylvia and I have taken or sent 120 cats and kittens to rescues. You are aware of how I have exhausted myself in rescue work. We are working with rescues all over the state to save our babies. Capital Humane in Lansing and Shelly Olree's Pet Rescue in Hillman have been two of our biggest supporters. I have made 10 trips to Lansing in 2010.

Animal Control officers did not work trying to rescue cats. The ones that members of the public did not come and adopt were thrown in the gas chamber to make room for more, without even trying to find homes for the rest.

We have done away with the gas chamber after several pillows soaked with tears. When the county budget did not allow for keeping Animal Control open we said if we could take over, that chamber would be the first thing to go.

Even though the county commissioners voted that thing out last April they refused to move on getting it out because they said they were shutting down anyway. "My Boy" was the last cat to go into the chamber, and everything I do from here on in will be in memory of him and of the long-haired girl that had the fronts of her feet chopped off. "My Boy" tested positive for feline leukemia. We wanted to take him and have him humanely euthanized. Animal Control said we had until Monday. I was there when the doors opened at 8 a.m. on Monday to pull him out, and they had put him to the chamber on Friday. They lied and he will haunt me always. Others that will haunt me are the kittens that died of dehydration after being pulled from their mamas and taken to the animal control facility. We were not allowed to hydrate them and they just sat there and died.

It is a God-send that our society has been able to raise the money to take over, but we are just getting started - have been in the facility for less than two weeks - and we are inundated with problems. The cages were clean because we have been caring for the cages since 2008. However, the rest of the facility is totally filthy. I cannot believe the sheriff's department could even work in such filth. And dogs and cats and kittens and feral cats are coming in left and right. I now have to try to socialize 4 feral kittens who have never been touched by human hands. Yesterday was no picnic working them.

Other members are working just as hard. We want to make a facility that our town will be proud of, but until people can grasp the idea that spaying and neutering are the most important and the kindest things they can do for their pets, we will always have more animals than can be adopted out or rescued. Rufus is the product of someone who didn't care enough.

I would send this information to Pat but I don't want to inundate her with information. If she only has two rooms I wonder if she can even accomodate another cat. I am praying really hard that we can find a solution. I hope she can help us with him.

All of our fosters from the society are full right now. Rufus is advertised all over and no one has come forth to take him.

The other facility in Michigan that I found on the internet that takes FIV positive cats does not have a working e-mail on their web site. They don't have a phone number and I sent an e-mail to their advertised e-mail and it came back to me as undeliverable. I had indicated to them that I would send a donation if they could help us with Rufus. I wouldn't be able to send more than $200 but I thought it would at least help with his food. He will have his rabies, distemper, deworming and neutering and he also has an ointment for his wounds that are healing. We haven't found any fleas on him but he would also receive a treatment of Revolution as a precautionary measure.

I appreciate all you have done to try to find a home for Rufus. You are the angel in all of this. I am continuing to work from this end and a couple of other members are also putting feelers out for a solution. Hopefully there will be an answer soon.

Hugs and love,

Rhoda
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Damn....that reply just made me cry....
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

I am just getting the idea how swamped and busy she is.. and the problems she and they are up against. I will do whatever I can to help. We are only learning about each other through messages that get back and forth one way or another.

At least, I lit a candle for Rufus today! - http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...g&cid=12455346

I'm wondering: where is this other FIV+ facility in Michigan? If it's anywhere near driving distance from here, I could investigate further. Or even track down a phone number or something.?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Article on Rufus: http://www.ourmidland.com/voices/gen...7a48e4190.html

Might post comments or suggestions at their website.

Sweet, gentle Rufus deserves a chance.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I just talked with Rhoda on the phone. She and her fellow workers there are all trying so hard to find him a home. They've been told he HAS to be out VERY SOON or they will have to put him down because they are OUT of room.

He has to go to a home with NO cats (unless FIV+). I said if it would save his life I'd bring him here and keep him in my bathroom away from my others, but she said the risk is too great.

I mentioned the above-linked newspaper article, and she and I both hope that will help him get a place.

She asked if I knew or could find out about ANYONE who had an extra room or didn't have any other cats who might take him. I gather that long-distance transport would not be a problem.

Do any of you think you might be able and willing to take him, or know of anyone else who might be able and willing? Please, please, PLEASE pass the word around!

Thanks so much!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Any updates, so worried about this lil fella, i hope there is some good news.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

8. Some good news -- a Lighthouse member has said she would be happy to adopt Rufus (she has dogs, but no cats, and plenty of room, and her grandson would also be happy to have Rufus living with them). She is on the west coast, so transportation would be more complicated. This isn't entirely settled yet -- because of the distance involved, this is more of a last resort, and I think the shelter may still keep looking for a home for Rufus that isn't so far away. But she has offered to take him, so he will definitely have a home.

Oh, what wonderful news! I am so happy to learn this!
    Death thought about it.

Oh, this is such good news. I have been worrying about poor Rufus since yesterday! I hope this good boy goes on to have a wonderful life being loved and spoiled!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Huges sigh of relief here too, i am so happy to hear this good news, Rufus is indeed going to be one of the lucky ones.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Woo Hoo Pat I am all paws up for you to get Rufus.. I will aggree he can live with your cats as long as there is no blood shedd.. Let us know ok.. We will have to add extras to the Gift Box sending..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Ok, I am confused on who is actually adopting Rufus. I am about to get off work and don't have time to reread all the posts. I thought the shelter lady(sorry I can't remember her name) didn't want Rufus to go to California because it was too far and she also wouldn't give him to someone who was going to put him with other cats that were negative. Are those the two that have offered to take him? How much time does he exactly have? I maybe could foster him with my FIV+ cats but couldn't keep him if a home could be found for him so hje wouldn't be killed. Gotta go. Will check tomorrow.
    Melissa

14. Rufus will have a home, but exactly where still isn't completely settled, as far as I know.

Distance has always been a concern, which is why they've been hoping to find Rufus a forever home in or close to Michigan (the Lighthouse member who offered to take Rufus lives in Washington and has been considered only as a last resort because of the distance, and I'm sure Lighthouse members would have chipped in to help with the transportation cost).

The shelter still does not want Rufus with FIV-negative kitties who might be at risk. As far as I know there has been no change on that.

They're now considering a sanctuary for special-needs pets much closer to Michigan where Rufus could live safely and comfortably, the rest of his life, with other FIV+ cats. And they have someone who could drive Rufus there. But that isn't settled yet, either.

I'll post more info when I have more, but this is what I'd heard as of last night.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone by posting yesterday, but I did want to reassure people here that Rufus definitely will have a forever home.

And I do appreciate the offers of help here, and I know Rhoda does. She's been planning to register for this board but she's always swamped, and a family member of hers just had surgery (which went well, thank God).

Cindy

Thank you for the update, Cindy. Lots of good news here.
    Death thought about it.