Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any last minute advice for Bella?

1. {{{{{{{Sus}}}}}}} I'm praying for Bella, and for you -- this is so stressful for you.

I've found that sometimes kitties who don't want to eat can be tempted if handfed small amounts of warmed canned food, maybe a tablespoon at a time from the palm of your hand. (I've yet to meet a cat who didn't like to be spoiled.) And warm liquid egg yolk from softboiled eggs (just the yolk) could sometimes tempt my cats to eat and sort of "jumpstart" their appetites so they would eat other foods (this has to be fed quickly from a bowl or saucer, or maybe a fingertip dipped in the yolk, since it will harden fast and isn't safe to leave lying around for hours, either).

Hugs,

Cindy

Prayers for Bella, that she will continue upward, even if slowly. You can do it, Bella! Your meowmie loves you! Eat up, sweetie!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh...

Thanks again for all your advice and support that I really haven't earned for being away from PT for so long. It means a lot. I'm trying to read up on what's going on and who's who, but I may confuse names and threads for a while, hope you can forgive that. I've been crying (again) this afternoon, tears in Bella's fur. She was miserable on friday, and I regretted deeply that I had cancelled our thursday appointment, and she really hasn't been much better today. Yesterday she would eat nothing but the shrimps she's is not supposed to have, but I thought what the, well, you know. Just as long as she eats something. I shall try the advice from ... oh not again, I'm such a scatterbrain these days, I'm sorry ... about handfeeding her some of the wet food. I have tried to heat the plates, and this at least makes her lick off the sauce from the meatballs. But when I try to blend meatballs and sauce, she'll have nothing of it. I have been wondering whether a cat could become depressed, as Bella did seem to become very sad when the blood tests had to be repeated several times. She was always a very proud girl, and she absolutely hates to be tampered with, especially by strangers. I think I'll call the vet on monday and ask about this. Tomorrow my great-cousin will come by with his camera and take some pictures of Bella and me together, as this may be our last chance. Yesterday's agony made me think up a little poem, a sort of prayer of my own, hopefully it's not too ridiculous or bad language!
    ----
    Why why Why
    do kitties have to die?
    Please mr. D
    don't take my friend
    Oh please do pass us by.
    ----
    But if you must
    it must be so
    and never mind my cry
    Unwillingly I will comply
    and I will let her go.

See you soon, and
    love from
    Sus and Bella
    Sus

Quote Originally Posted by Sus View Post
    I have been wondering whether a cat could become depressed, as Bella did seem to become very sad when the blood tests had to be repeated several times. She was always a very proud girl, and she absolutely hates to be tampered with, especially by strangers.
    Absolutely cats can become depressed. When my Yodie had to wear her e-collar for a couple of months, she hung her head so far down that the collar scraped on the floor when she walked. Just recently, my Specs had two molars pulled and the medication Buprinex depressed him. And, of course, my RB Puddy was so depressed b/c she had subQ treatments daily and shots 3 times a week. She really hated being fussed with, too. Someone on PT suggested B12 shots and I decided to give it a try. I injected the B vitamins right into the subQ fluid bag and the result was remarkable. I had my old Puddy back. It really does help w/depression. If Bella isn't on subQ's, she can have the injection but I will tell you that my vet says that it stings. A little sting, though, could make a big difference in her. Talk to your vet and see what s/he says.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hello, I am so sorry for what you and Bella are going through. I am sure you are very worried about her. I just wish that she could get better or at least eat and gain some weight. I have never had a cat with her problem so I cant give you any advice. I just know how much I love my cat and dogs and I know you love your cat and I understand your concern. I thought your poem was sweet and sad. My best wishes for you and Bella. Kay in NC, USA

Sus, I'm sorry to hear Bella won't eat much, she really needs it. Have you tried Føtex' Whiskas pouches? There are 12 for about 40,- Fister loves the ones with gelé. I give him half of one every day and I add a bit of water (boiled) on top. He licks all the liquid off first, but will eat a bit of the meat also.

Has your vet got these little samples of various dry food? Perhaps he could give you some. Fister seems to want different food all the time. The other day I had bought calf liver, he was jumping around in the kitchen to get as much as possible before it went on the pan. That and raw white fish is his favourites.

It is so hard to know when to say goodbye, this is the time when we wish our cats could talk. I'm sure she will tell you with her eyes, though.

Hope Bella perks up again! Give her some kisses from us.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Bella didn't make it

Hello again, sweet people at Pettalk, and once again thank you for all your advice and kind support.

This is just to say that Bella passed on monday the 17th. I guess in my heart I knew it was all too late, but I was hoping, hoping for so long that some new kind of food would help or some kind of miracle would happen. But her weight continued to go down and nothing would make her eat. On saturday she didn't want chicken anymore, and on sunday I noticed (for the third time) that her hindlegs/-quarters were becoming wobbly when she tried to jump down from the bed. She was only a short while from being unable to stand on her own 4 paws, and I just couldn't bear that she should be like that

We did have a fairly good sunday, though, and for that I am grateful. She ate a little in the morning, and when my great-cousin came by with his camera, it actually seemed to cheer her up a bit to be a film star! At least for a few moments. I guess I should post them in the memorial section, when they are ready.

What more can I say. On monday it was all back to the horrors of friday, and she was miserable again. My mother insisted on being present at the vets, she said: "I have a right, I'm her grandmother!" and I was grateful about that too. And then we all cried, even the vet, for not having been able to help Bella, I think. It seems that many cats do fine on methimazole, but a fairly large percentage does not. And then you are, like Moosmom said, really between a rock and a hard place.

Anyway, today I'm still dazed and I have been very sad and tired, but at least I know that Bella is allright now. I know, because she was here with me for second or two the next morning. Somewhere between being asleep and awake, I suddenly felt the weight and fur of her neck against my cheek, as she cuddled up to me in the special "pushy" way that she used to be and which I had quite forgotten. It was very comforting, and I think she meant it that way.

See you soon again on these pages.
    Lots of love,
    Sus and Bella
    Sus

I am so sorry for your loss. It brought tears to my eyes to read about Bella and her passing. Just so sad but please know that you did the best you could. I do understand what you're going through...and she isnt suffering any more. That's how I face the deaths of people and pets; they're not suffering anymore or in pain or discomfort...and I believe that we will see them again one day. My best to you. Kay in NC USA, Wed Jan 19

Oh I'm sorry to read this. Dear sweet Bella hung on for as long as she could but her little body just gave out. At least you were there w/her to help her make her trip to the Bridge. That gave her such comfort. RIP, sweet Bella and peace to your humans.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Oh, I'm so sorry. So much pain and sadness for you and all who love Bella.

She is free of pain now, whole and healthy again. And how sweet of her to pay you that morning visit!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

{{{hugs}}} to you - I am so glad Bella visited you for a snuggle, to let you know she was all right.

You did everything you could, as did the vet - and how sweet of the Grandmother to be there.

Your love for her and hers for you will live forever.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sus,
    I'm so sorry to hear that she's now at the Bridge but you did the unselfish thing by letting her go and now she's pain free, healthy, and happy again. I'm glad that she visited you to let you know that she's okay. I'm sure you'll see her again from time to time. RIP sweet Bella. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Sus, I'm so sorry you have lost Bella, but it sounds like she was ready to go. You did what was best for her.

Bella was such a sweet girl and so beautiful - glad I got to meet her a few times. I hope it will be a comfort that she had a good and long life with you and knowing she is free of pain now.

Rest in peace, sweet Bella!

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I am so very sorry to read of Bella's passing. As others have said,
    she is now at peace & isn't suffering.Please accept my deepest sympathies
    on the loss of your sweet girl Bella.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Godspeed for Bella

Lulu here - Mom1 read me this thread yesterday and I was so sad to hear that your catkid has made her trip over the Rainbow bridge - Mom1 and Mom2 have told me about the great hole left in their lives when they lost their Geraldine after almost 20 years. But they do believe that both Geraldine and Bella are in good company. And Mom1 knows that Phred is right there helping Bella find her way in her new forever home. We've said a little prayer for you, Sus - Take care of yourself.

{{{hugs}}} Lulu (with Bibette, Mom1 and Mom2)