Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hospital visit - again Update #27

thanks, everyone.

I know they said to have 3 meals and 2 snacks daily.
    They said pre-breakfast my #'s should be between 70-130. It was 115 this morning so I think that was okay.

Each serving should be no more than 15 carbohydrates.
    1 snack = 1 serving = 15 carbohydrates
    1 meal = 3-4 servings = 45-60 carbohydrates

I picked up that much from them.
    I got some things like yogurt and snack bars at their recommendation.

The one nurse said I could have just almost anything as long as it fell in those guidelines.

The hardest thing I think will be to have NO coke. I love coke.
    I have 3-4 a week.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm still pretty scared about all these changes but hearing y'all and seeing your support is so helpful.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Gosh, everyone has such helpful information for you, I couldn't add anything even if I knew anything. The only experience I have is from a client of mine. He controls it completely with diet and exercise. He was in his early 20s when the doctor said he had to go on insulin. I guess the benefits of being young is that you are out to prove everyone wrong. In a couple of months, he tested 'normal'.

Good luck, keep us posted, and for many of us (myself included) let this be a wake-up call to watch our diets and exercise!!!

I have another thing to add. Even if you control with diet and exercise and Metformin, there will be times when you want to have something special - pizza, Thanksgiving dinner, a meal with lots of carbs.

I was on a diabetic forum and this subject came up. One of the gals told me about a med you can take for those once-in-a-blue-moon times. I got a prescription for Prandin. I take 0/5mg just before eating one of those high carb meals. The effect lasts for 3-4 hours, and it's really nice to be able to eat like I did in the past.

Just make sure you test before the meal and 2 hours after dinner when taking this.

I am type 1 on insulin and was diagnosed in 1992. I am still around and doing okay so don't get too depressed about it! You will soon get used to the idea and find what works for you - everyone is a little different. Definitely take an information class and ask for a referral to a dietician to get you on the right track. A small tip - if you use a blood monitor to test your levels, prick the sides of your fingers and not the pads - it will get less sore. As for the kidney infection, drink lots of diet cranberry juice as it really helps. Any other thing you want to know please ask anytime and I will try and help.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I'm sorry to hear that you've been so sick and that you've been diagnosed with diabetes. You've already been given a lot of great advice. Just do as your doctors tell you and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.

The dr. at the ER told me returning to work Monday should be fine.
    I can't do that without the paperwork filled out that HR wants from my family dr. Problem with that? The HR dept said on Tuesday that they'd get it sent out via overnight mail and I haven't received it! How am I supposed to get it taken to my dr. appointment tomorrow (sat am) if I don't have it? oh my gosh this is killing me. I was already pushing it by asking them to get it back to me so quickly. (without giving them 2 days to fill it out)

Work will NOT let me in the door without the papers and a release form.

this is a nightmare.
    Last edited by Scooter's Mom; 01-07-2011 at 06:36 AM.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    The dr. at the ER told me returning to work Monday should be fine.
    I can't do that without the paperwork filled out that HR wants from my family dr. Problem with that? The HR dept said on Tuesday that they'd get it sent out via overnight mail and I haven't received it! How am I supposed to get it taken to my dr. appointment tomorrow (sat am) if I don't have it? oh my gosh this is killing me. I was already pushing it by asking them to get it back to me so quickly. (without giving them 2 days to fill it out)

Work will NOT let me in the door without the papers and a release form.

this is a nightmare.
    Is there anyway your HR dept could fax the paperwork directly to your doctor's office? My husband had to use FMLA time at his old job, and you're right, it's a nightmare.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I don't have advice, but I it sounds like you've been given good advice by other members here.

I managed to get ahold of the HR department. They emailed the paperwork to me. yay!
    Now I just have to get hubby to print it at work and remember to bring it home.

There's one more thing to ask your doctor about, glucose tablets. They can be very helpful when your blood sugar goes low. They're not a substitute for your regular meal or snack but they will get your reading up until you can get to some food. I keep some at home, in my back-pack, and at my desk at work. You don't need a prescription for them and they can be found at just about every pharmacy.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    There's one more thing to ask your doctor about, glucose tablets. They can be very helpful when your blood sugar goes low. They're not a substitute for your regular meal or snack but they will get your reading up until you can get to some food. I keep some at home, in my back-pack, and at my desk at work. You don't need a prescription for them and they can be found at just about every pharmacy.
    And they come in yummy flavors

I cannot add much except to encourage you. I have a good friend who is
    65 and she has had type 1 diabetes since she was a teenager. She also has two children.

I have a family member who discovered she was a diabetic when she was 29. She is now 42 and she has a child. She watches her diet but does have treats from time to time. She also keeps the glucose tablets with her and around her house, just in case.

I hope you will use some of the great support you have been offered here, if you need it. There is nothing like having someone who has the disease to discuss all of your needs or fears with - they can calm your fears.

I am released to return to work on Wednesday 1/12.
    I did get a prescription for Metformin, which will go to the pharmacy tomorrow.

The dr. at my family practice clinic said that she wants to see me again in 1 month. This first month she said to find an activity I enjoy (walking, biking, whatever) and do it for 10-15 minutes a day, maybe every other day... she said I may have to do it 2-3 weeks to get "comfortable" since I really don't exercise at all. When I'm feeling "comfortable" with it, increase it a few minutes. She said under no circumstance should I start out trying to do the impossible because I will not stick with it.

So... that's where I am at for now.

Thank you all so incredibly much for the support. I can't express my appreciation enough.