Thread: Why does she bite me?

Why does she bite me?

Lexi's a weird little cat. When she gets really cuddly, she bites. Only my mom and I, though. Granted, we're the only two people she's comfortable enough with to cuddle, haha.

Anyways...it's bizarre. She'll be sitting on my lap being pet and out of nowhere, she'll bite my arm or my chin or something. It's not hard and she's not upset/wanting to be let go or anything...it's just weird. If I reprimand her she'll stop for a while, but as soon as she gets comfortable again, she bites! Like, right now she has a hold of my right forearm, haha. She just kinda bit down and now she's just chilling like that. She also licks me, lol. I've woken up a few times to her licking my face.

Why?
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Because a) she's a cat and b) you're there!
    I've Been Frosted

She just loves you to pieces and is really comfy with you- like a sibling or mother or someone very close- and when she gets really happy and a bit carried away, she bites! Several of mine will do that- purring a mile a minute, all the while-- and NEVER a hard bite, just a little chomp in a playful way-- she's just very fond of you and very comfortable with you- be flattered! (Unless you're spending too much on band-aids, then I'd try and discourage her a bit when she does it.)

Our Boo was kinda like that. Sometimes cats get over stimulated, and will bite. Look for the ears to go FLAT and the pupils to dilate.....
    Nine is Fine!!

Breathing Teasing

When she's on you lap, you may be breathing through you nose, and the "breeze" can irritate some cats. I had a Siamese who did the same until I realized that I was teasin' him by breathing on him.

Some cats bite to show their love for you. Its not a hard bite, just a nip to show that they love you. Mine does this especailly Peaches and Ashes. They nip then lick.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

Blog Entries

bite me

Ya my cat bites occasionally as well,like out of the blue man. Not hard but I think it's an affectionate grooming type thing. Sometimes she chews my fingernails and thats what she does to hers ,and she always likes to lick me and she does that to herself as well. Don't worry about it pussy

Enjoy the love bites. My Dimitri comes up on my chest and gives kisses on my nose every so often he gives a little nip. Or when he is on his Back in my arm, as I rub his tummy he will nip my fingers. Lucky will grab my arm as I exit the shower and give a love bite.
    Timmy gives my wife love bites, but at 19 lbs he dose not realize how strong he is and bites too hard some times.
    So sit back and enjoy the love.
    GILL & Crew;

My boy, Jordan, only nips like that when he's wanting something, usually food. My other cat, Buzz, used to do it as well, and for the same reason.

Mind, they don't seem to have to be really hungry; the emphasis is definitely on "wants" food, not needs it.

My 7mth old kitten Michael not only "nips" at me but he also tries to comb my hair with his claws! Normally when I am sleeping. The problem I have with that is that my skin is really thin and cant handle it well. I just use "liquid bandage" or "new skin" (has antiseptic in it) on the small nicks and he hates the smell of it! That has slowed him down some.

Chelsea will gently nip at whatever exposed body part of mine she can find when she thinks I need to get out of bed and attend to her needs. Usually it means she wants her water freshened or that she can see the bottom of the food bowl, known here as "The Bottom of the Food Bowl Blues"....
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

My Herky is a relentless biter and is probably the reason why he was dropped off at the Humane Society. He bites whenever he is near your face and it's a hard quick bite....and then he starts to purr, lol! Night time is especially difficult with him because he'll lay right above my head and zoom into my face as close as he can without disturbing me and then bites. And this goes on for hours and usually ends up with me putting him out of the bedroom. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't pick him up or have him on my lap because of the constant biting which drew blood 75% of the time. I've had to really work with him on when it's okay to bite and when it's not and he's getting a little better. I dont mind the occasional little love bite, but I do mind when it becomes a demanding and obsessive behavior problem like that.

Love Bites

I used to work at a shelter and fostered and eventually adopted a 27 pound Tuxie. He had been adopted and returned 3 times due to his "Love Biting" a bit to hard before I took him home to see what was up with him. Some kitties just get over stimulated when they love their human and many mammals tend to nip or bite or like human babies put things in their mouths.

If your kitty bits too hard, its usually best not to react too much, a little tap on the nose, and the verbal use of the same words each time such as "OUCH THAT'S TOO HARD" or some similar thing in a firm but not angry voice will get the point across. Cat are very smart and understand a lot of what we say to them if you use the same words or phrases each time for things.

One other thing to remember that's VERY important is that while your cat is on your lap AVOID the full head to tail stroking when you pet them, as this tends to over stimulate them and their affection. Try just rubbing or massaging the back of kitties neck gently. This worked for my Tuxie within about a week he stopped biting. He's been the best lover boy since and now gives endless head butts and noses (nose to nose rubs) now, and I've had the pleasure of being his human for 9 years now, he's 15 years old and plays with his brothers and sister like a kitten. He's totally a joy to have around.
    Meeeooooowww.

kb2yjx is right. It sounds like over stimulation. Look for body language. Airplane ears (ears go flat), pupils dilated. If she does bite you, that's when you put her down and say "NO!!!" very firmly. You can teach her not to bite. If you play with her, use a toy, do NOT use your hands as that will tell her it's acceptable behavior. She won't understand the difference, and it will confuse her.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!