Thread: Does Your Cat....

Does Your Cat....

move his/her hind leg in rhythm to your scratching? Last night I was scratching/rubbing Edwina's ear and I realized her back leg was "phantom scratching" just like a (dare I say the word.......)
    dog!!!!!! does when you scratch/rub his/her belly.

Does this happen with your cat?

LOL LOL LOL Edwina is such a character! I can honestly say I haven't seen a cat do that. The closest I've seen is if I'm scratching (petting) them around the face and ears, sometimes I guess it makes them tickle and he'll actually scratch where I was petting. It's usually the ears. LOL
    Give your little Edwina a 'scratch' for me!

Yep, mine does that, usually only when I'm scratching his ears, as if he's trying to help me.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

LOL!!! Mine don't do that but when I scratch Luke on the top of his rump right by his tail, he will stick his tongue out and nibble on anything within reach. Stop scratching and he stops. Nawtee mawmee that I am, I sometimes scratch him just to watch him stick his tongue out!

LOL! Yes, Fister does that too! It looks like he trying to help or show exactly where or how to scratch. Looks so funny!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I can't make mine "play the banjo" which is what we would call it when we were doing it to the dogs..but, I can make Georgie make this strange mouth noise when I scritch on the side of her mouth...It is very funny.

when I scratch Luke on the top of his rump right by his tail, he will stick his tongue out and nibble on anything within reach.
    Oh man, do I wish we could post videos instead of photos on Pet Talk! I would love to see this! That spot you refer to is what my mom called "the root", where the tail comes off the torso. (She also called it "the root of all evil", because most of our kitties could not stand to be touched there and would turn and bite!)
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

OMG Momoffuzzyfaces! Finally someone else who can do that with their cat! My cat does that too when I get her tickle spot just above the base of her tail. My daughter can get her to do the tongue thing for a long time and it is so funny to watch!
    My cat also loves to be scritched behind the ears and under the chin so her head tilts to be scritched better in just the right spots, she will try to scratch with her back leg sometimes too.

Ritz doesn't "phantom scratch" (and I like the term 'play the banjo )

However, she loves, I mean LOOOOVES to have the area near the base of her tail scratched and patted. We call one of our bathrooms the "cat buttpat room" because the minute one of us goes in there, Ritzy is like a magnet, she walks in, turns around with her back to you, plants her back feet and "assumes the position" until we oblige...it's like she's in a trance, the resulting purr would rattle your fillings. (We don't have company often....I think I would have to put a sign up, "if the cat does this, don't be alarmed")

When I brush her, she rolls over and lifts her back leg for me so I can get to her "privates"....we had to work up to this area, but now it's almost obscene....while I"m brushing her, she grabs hold of the carpet with her two front paws and starts kneading like mad! Again, massive purring. I've never had a cat enjoy being brushed so much.
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

I know what you mean about Ritz going crazy when someone scratches her "tickle spot"! Vinny reacts by arching his back and purring when you scratch him there, and he also loves having the sides of his hind legs rubbed. When you do this he throws himself onto his side, digs his claws into the carpet in ecstacy, and drags himself along the carpet. At the same time, he extends the toes on his hind feet as far as they'll go, and it looks really hilarious! He particularly enjoys his "butt rubs" late in the evening! lol

Too cute! Our kitties don't do that...but my in-laws Tortie does...it's way too cute.

That's our Edwinda...always coming up with more reasons to make us smile.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

If I scratch between Bassett's shoulder blades she licks her legs the whole time.. she purrs and stuff but it still makes her lick.. I don't know why! My really old cat that lives with my parents would do that too, and if he couldn't find something to lick he would just lick in thin air.. so funny!!!

Sometimes when you scritch Vinny under his jaw or chin he starts to purr and get a dreamy, faraway look on his face, and it looks really funny. It seems that sometimes he gets so comfortable that he just can't handle it! LOL
    Last edited by Lennie B.; 10-29-2002 at 11:26 PM.