Thread: cats!

cats!

tonight I wanted to see how cassie and callie got along with the others, so we let them out with Muffin, Louise and Patches. I was very surprised to hear Patches growled and hissed at Cassie(gypsy) and he followed her everywhere, and kept hissing, growling! and so did Louise.
    Muffin just watched everything from the top of the kitty tower, didnt seem bothered at all, that surprised me too! so, poor cassie was hissed at by Louise, Patches, and by callie(angel)!!
    then I took cassie to the porch to see how it went with Charlie and Emma, they seemed to be more easy going toward her earlier, well I guess she was upset at being hissed at by the 3 cats, so she went up to Charlie and, swatted him, THEN he did growl! and then she went to Emma and swatted her!! I thought oh no here it goes, I thought Emma would go after her, but she didn't do anything. I guess I will wait a few days and let them all forget about it then see how she gets along with Emma and Louise. she is so much like them, I really expected them to hit it off...I was only half right LOL.
    there is no figuring out cats. why would Patches hiss, when she was so playful and friendly, and he is normally so easygoing??
    Last edited by toughCookie; 10-30-2002 at 01:36 AM.

What I have learned about cats

What I have seen and learned is that it is an ever evolving process - getting to know each other and that it changes moment to moment. I have seen Graemer and Miley go at each other as though there are enemies and then within minutes, they are grooming each other.... I only intervene when things get so rough that I think they are going to kill each other. I suspect this happens while I am at work, but who will ever really know. I have never seen any blood but I have seen clumps of fur.

I would let them all work it out. Really. Certainly do it in whatever doses work for you and your pets, but the sooner the better.

I have also found that when I start yelling, it makes things worse and that it is better to try to sooth them than scold them when they are being ugly with each other.

Now remember, I have never had more than four cats in my house at one time. Seven is another story. You are in the major league my dear!

Last edited by sasvermont; 10-31-2002 at 01:27 PM.

I agree with Sas. My cats were introduced one at a time and they all did the hissing, growling thing. In fact Cookie still growls at Tama when he gets to close to her and it's been 2 years since we got him!! It just takes time.
    I also get clumps of cat hair on my floor occaisonally. But the kitty fights don't seem to last very long and everybody's friends again.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I usually do the introductions a bit differently. The new cat has its own room at first, so I let one old cat in that room at a time. (while I am there) I try not to interfere, but I will talk and sometimes pet, both cats. The level of noise will depend on the cats. But it is possible that if one old cat is threatened by the new cat he may take it out on a cat he already knows. But try not to worry about that. They'll get over it. Then I'll try it with another cat, and so on. I usually do not give them the run of the house until they are at ease with at least a few of the old cats. (don't want a cat fight while I am not home). I have been fortunate enough to have instant friendliness, but the norm is usually a few weeks. BUT, Thumper, the 3rd cat I took in, took 1 YEAR! to adjust. But in the end, he was with me for 12 years, and he liked his room mates.

Our Jan (3 yrs old) growls and hisses at her own two year old son, Joxer. So much for introductions. What's even funnier is that she is all of eight pounds, and he weighs in at over 13 pounds.

Catland - LOL!!!

Our Bagel and Ketchum are birth brtother and sister and most of the time she spits, bats and hisses at him!!!!! Then of course, you come upon them unexpectedly and find her giving her huge brother a wash - ahhh sweet!!!

Lynne

I've introduced all my cats one at a time as well, although they were kittens which makes it much easier.

I want so bad to let Boo-Boo out of the room. He really wants to come out and when I hold the door open just a tiny bit so he can get a look at whichever cat is in the hallway, he whines and reaches his paw through the opening. (I do it for the safety of MY cats because I'm still not sure if Boo is cat aggressive or just scared and overwhelmed). I might try again this weekend to let him out with maybe one of my cats. But then again I wonder if I'm just wishing it'll work out when I know in my heart he needs to be the only kitty.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I think Boo's worth one more try, Donna. Sounds like he'll be with you for a little bit yet anyway, so I don't think it would hurt to try one at a time to see how he reacts. I could very well be that he was just overwhelmed. Coming into a hierachy of 6(?) cats can't be easy for any kitty. And once he is introduced, that established hierarchy will go through changes too, which may mean some cat fights on the horizon. But I'm sure you know all this since you've had to introduce all the others.

I just hope he fits in. It sounds like you really want him to, so now all we need is for him to want to, but I would definitely give him another chance, one or maybe two at a time. Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl