Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: HoneyBun --- Is he eating TOO much???

He is getting Pet Selects Naturals once or twice a day as well. It's like raw but processed I think. It's like chopped up meat. He loves it too. So he's eating more than just the babyfood, but it's still A LOT of babyfood.

I can add in canned food. I guess that would add in some bulk to stave off his hunger. I want him to be healthy and happy.

My opinion is let him eat as much as he wants, as long as he doesn't bolt and barf. When I've had underweight cats that recovered from being sick they were ravenous!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Jenn, He's most likely eating a lot because of the pred. This causes an increase in appetite as well as an increase in his drinking. When my RB Starr was on it he gained so much weight due to water weight gain more than food because I don't free feed. Storm is on a low dose of pred daily and he can get very cranky if I don't feed him on time. I'd let him eat to his hearts content especially since he's so thin. Good luck.

When I give Storm his pred pills, I wrap them up in chicken flavored pill pockets and he just thinks that he's getting a treat. I also cut the pill pockets into four pieces first and I roll them up into balls and then I can just wrap them around the pills.

So, I made my own babyfood chicken! And Honeybun seemed to love it! I had a package of 3 really large boneless breasts, they were about $6, and that is what 6 bottles of babyfood would cost me. I think I have WAY more than that with the babyfood I made. I have a large container that I filled, and I'm hoping it lasts me most of the week. It's not as thin as babyfood, but it's gotta be more substantial than babyfood. Honeybun ate it and went upstairs to sleep on my bed, so he was full and happy, and didn't come yelling at me for more, lol.

My one friend did mention that Big Lots has babyfood for 2 or 3 bottles for a $1, but I think if I can make my own every week, that will be better, not just financially but also better quality for Honeybun.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    So, I made my own babyfood chicken!
    . . . . .
    that will be better, not just financially but also better quality for Honeybun.
    Good job! I was thinking the baby food probably has a high fluid content, so that's why it didn't "stick" with him and 2 hours later he was hungry again. So getting him food with some substance like what you've made should do it!

Hope Honey Bun continues to improver Jenn!

I think that this is a wonderful idea and I hope this will help fill him up and put some weight on him too.

Just had to update....

My fussy Honeybun decided that he HAS to have his homemade babyfood HEATED UP. Heaven forbid it be cold or room temp. OH NO!!! It must be warmed in the microwave for about 20 seconds and THEN he'll eat it.

That they can so clearly communicate exactly what they want - and they know you know what they want - makes me love them all the more.

Rascal not only likes his special food warm - he now will only eat from a dish on a box in my computer room. I put it there so I can keep an eye on what he eats and keep Annie and Emma away from it - vacuum cleaner girls that they are!!

HoneyBun you've got her exactly where you want her - good job!~!!

Jen,

Thyroid was my very first thought. Bart is looking ragged but I attribute this to old age (14).

Since he's been on Methamizole, his fur is nice and soft, he seems to be putting weight on (he's on a holistic appetite stimulant). HoneyBun is a sweet cat. ALL orangies are!

I hope the vet can find out what's going on. A complete blood work-up should have answers.

Love and hugs to you both!!

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

We go back to the vet tomorrow for a recheck and to get word on what his geriatric blood work up showed. I hope things are ok. I was too thinking that his thyroid might be not working well, with the roughness of his coat.

Will update more tomorrow after the vet visit at 5pm.

Wish us luck!

Luck and good wishes and prayers for HoneyBun and you.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Any updates on Honeybun?

Honey is doing ok. His lower lip/jaw looks puffy, but that is just the tumor or whatever that is in there. He doesn't seem to be in pain, which is a good thing. I pray that I have him for a long time to come, but if he ends up in pain, then I know I will have to let him go.

He's eating like a champ. He gets 4-5 servings of pure'ed (spelling??) chicken or turkey a day. He loves it and is keeping weight on. I think his coat feels much better since he's eating it. He's also eating a little bit of dry kibble. I picked up Sensitive Stomach formula from Royal Canin because the kibble pieces seemed smaller and easier to manage than the round kibbles from Science Diet, and I have other cats with sensitive digestion. They all seem to like it, and hopefully we'll have less barfing with it than with other foods. The science diet was working well, but the size of the kibble worried me with Honey.

Thanks for asking!! Hope your kitties are doing well too!

Prayers on the way for comfort for the old dude.
    I've Been Frosted