Thread: Worried about Annie, Need advice.

Worried about Annie, Need advice.

I am sorry to have to post sad news and would greatly appreciate any advice. 5 days ago my Little Princess's body gave up the battle to horrible invasive tumors. As this saddens me I am afraid of the tole it is taken on her sister (littermate) Annie. http://dogoftheday.com/archive/2010/August/31.html You can see a picture of them together on the dog of the day link I have attached.
    Annie is just laying around and shivering, continuing to shiver even when I wrap blankets around her. She IS eating and drinking so I know she is healthy. Is she afraid or mourning the lost of her sister? Can I do ANYTHING to make her feel better.

So sorry for y'all's loss. And during the holidays, too.
    I'm not sure what to make of this behavior. Could Annie just be grieving hard?
    What about finding another dog for her to play with for a little while? It might help her think about something else if only for a little while.
    Do you know a neighbor or friend that could have a playdate with your precious girl? When she's up to it, of course.
    Good luck with all this. Gosh, I hope she's okay soon.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Oh, just thought of this - may or may not be a good idea with dog's temperament, but likely okay...What about, you lying down with the dog on your chest and holding her tight for awhile? It might make her feel more secure, and of course warm.

SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES

Yes, dogs do mourn. Try to keep her active, but it may take a while before she is back to her normal self. Take her for walks, and try to keep a regular routine, but allow her her time to mourn. Dogs are such sensitive creatures that the more you can force yourself to be normal, the faster she'll likely come around.

Animals are far more intelligent than science often gives them credit for. Give Annie a kiss for me, right on that spot on the top of her head, okay? And a hug for you.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, it is a sad holiday for us, but on the bright side I will be taking a couple weeks off for the holidays. We will be having some Quality Annie Time!! And my son will come see us with his puppy for a couple days. I would never of imagined the obvious emotional pain Annie is experiencing....breaks my heart!

Ooh sounds perfect. Let us know how it all goes, oh and if i don't speak to you again before then, Merry Chrismas and happy New Year!!!

SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES

I am so sorry to hear about Annie's sadness. I do hope the extra time
    you'll have to spend some quality time with her will help. The puppy should
    help distract her too. I hope she feels better soon.

Others who have gone through this have expressed their thoughts here...

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=164707
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A friend of mine had to let her Corgi go back in June, he was 15. Her other Corgi, who is 4, had been with her brother all of her life.
    Just tonight I asked her how Tucker was doing since losing Cowboy. She said she is finally coming around and is playing with the cat a lot more these days.
    So it does take a while for them to get used to life without the other. But as others said, keep the rountine the same and she will eventually come around. I think your son coming with his puppy will help distract her for a time.

Have a good holiday and please give Annie some hugs from me too. And I'm sorry for your loss of Princess.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)