Thread: The Salvation Army's Adopt-a-family program

The Salvation Army's Adopt-a-family program

I just thought I would share with you the joy I had doing this program this year.

I was given a family of 5, a mom and 4 girls, who lost everything in a house fire. The family is living at a Salvation Army shelter.

I managed to get each girl 4 2-piece outfits and a set of PJ's, a "treasure box" filled with little goodies, a toy, a doll and a stuffed animal. The oldest girl also got a very special necklace (her wish was jewelry).
    Mom got a 3 piece outfit, a bath and body gift basket (it was her wish) and a nice earring and pin set.

And even with all that, I doubt I spent more than $200. Some of the ways I got great deals were 1) My sister works at JC Penney, so we used her discount for the PJ's. 2) The treasure boxes and most of the treasures were $1 store items. 3) 2 of each of the outfits come from my favorite thrift store. It might take more time to sort through the sizes and find those gems that are LIKE-NEW, but it allows me to get more for my money. 4) the necklace was one of the FREE sterling silver pendants from this website http://www.silverjewelryclub.com/ 5) and the stuffed animals I got out of a "claw" machine game recently (I am addicted, and will only play when I believe I can win)

SO the fact that I am by no means rich, I was able to give to someone who has even less than I do and hopefully give them a happy Christmas.

I was totally exhausted from shopping and wrapping (because I usually don't do much shopping and I do even less wrapping, for Christmas) but I will do it again next year if I am able.

Jen, you are an angel to this family! (((HUGS)))
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Such a lovely thing you did for this family!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

This is wonderful. You've given this family a much brighter and happier Christmas.

I think it's absolutely wonderful Jen!

I just recently (yesterday) learned about the "Wish" trees and want to do it next year.

I volunteered at the Salvation Army myself yesterday helping families pick out toys for the kids and giving out hats, gloves, scarves and boxes of food.

Some of the stories you hear are just so sad. One family didn't even have heat in their home

I'm thankful for people like you who help out these families. I really think the Salvation Army is wonderful.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

It's a wonderful thing you did. They will appreciate it more then you know.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS