Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memory Thread for Phred.

Memory Thread for Phred.

Well, I thought I might as well just take the bull by the horns and start this thread. So many memories over the years. I've laughed at him, cried over him so many ups and downs. No one was more opinated than Phred I don't think. He would INSIST you do what he said but if you suggested something to him - meehhh.
    The first time I met Phred he surprised all of us at a Memorial Day Pet Talk meeting. I remember standing at the pavillion and seeing him drive by with Cinder and Smoke in the backseat. Ok confession - I recognized the dogs first! And Saying HOLY CRAP THAT IS PHRED!! The rest was history.
    When I flew to Los Angeles for the California BBQ he was tracking my flight and calling and checking in more than my parents. He always was a night owl, he would call me at all hours of the night, so it wasn't a big deal for him to stay up late, he waited to go to bed until I had landed. He knew I was there before my parents even did. He checked so much on my flight that my parents were wondering just who the HECK Fred was. That took some explaining to do.
    While I was out in California he called while we were on the way to Gini's BBQ and told me he had some friends coming to see us, and I squealed "ARE THEY FIREMEN? Then when they got there I called him to tell him they were there and as soon as he said "HEROW?" I yelled into the phone "CAN I KEEP THEM?" He just laughed and laughed.
    Phred mapquested EVERYTHING. When Tonya, Kelly and I were out shopping one day, and we called him and told him that "Kelly was sick and Tonya and I were out driving around totally lost and could he mapquest us back to Kelly's house." There was a long period of silence on the phone and He says "are you serious?" I said "NO" and we all laughed while he let out a HUGE sigh of relief!
    He was the BEST cookie maker - in the last couple of years he didn't feel up to making them for our meetings and we sure missed them. The ones he bought from a lady in Findlay were good but They just weren't the same.
    He wanted to help people regardless of if he knew them or ever met them. If you were a friend of a friend that was good enough for him.

I'm sure I'll add more as I think of them but I think I got to a good start, can't wait to hear more memories from members.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I will never forget Klamz juize (or however Phred spelled juice).
    His cat Bootz (aka Boots) was having trouble, um, peeing. I suggested mixing tuna juice with his water. That helped.
    Then someone suggested clam juice and later Edwina's Secretary started a thread in Cat Health called Dear Phred.

She went to the grocery looking for something to entice kittys to drink. She came up with clam juice. That turned into one of the funnest thread's I ever read on Pet Talk. I still laugh about it. (it's still there is anyone wants to read it. just type Dear Phred in the search under Cat health. )

It's something no one can really describe. It just needs to be read.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Corby and I were engaged Corby got an email saying Jon Phred wanted to be his friend on facebook. He asked me who that was, I told him it was just my "pet talk dad" wanting to keep an eye on him. He kept bugging and bugging me to set up a wedding registry. I was slacking on all the wedding planning, he was making sure I was getting stuff done. I finally set it up, and within days there was a big box of gifts on our door from Phred. He sent us a gift before anyone else.

He was always one of the first to help us out with our donations to Strut Your Mutt and to any other causes. He sent me a beautiful frame for a drawing I did of Smokey when he passed away, and included him in a memorial at Findlay. I remember the first time I went there and had Nebo with me. There was a book or something we were having the dogs "sign" with their pawprints in ink. Nebo was a little skittish with men at the time so I was a little surprised when I looked over and there was Phred with Nebo, dipping his paw in ink to sign.

If you look at Phred's post they are all words of encouragement and love to other members. You couldn't find anyone more willing to help anyone in need. He was a character for sure, and one of a kind. Miss ya Phred.

Here's some photos from the two findlay meetings I went to

Nebo wanting in on the treat giving

Last edited by wolf_Q; 12-16-2010 at 02:18 PM.

i found PT through his story of smokey finding cinder. he had such a way with storytelling and words when you were face to face. he was a comfort, a great comfort when duke and alex left for the rainbow, and a steady presence on PT. i am glad i got to tell him that he was important to me, i will miss you Phred.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Quote Originally Posted by joycenalex View Post
    i found PT through his story of smokey finding cinder. he had such a way with storytelling and words when you were face to face. he was a comfort, a great comfort when duke and alex left for the rainbow, and a steady presence on PT. i am glad i got to tell him that he was important to me, i will miss you Phred.
    Joyce, I left you messages on the numbers I have for you. ((HUGS))
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    ...While I was out in California he called while we were on the way to Gini's BBQ and told me he had some friends coming to see us, and I squealed "ARE THEY FIREMEN? Then when they got there I called him to tell him they were there and as soon as he said "HEROW?" I yelled into the phone "CAN I KEEP THEM?" He just laughed and laughed.
    Good times, Staci! I remember what a hit those firemen were and how we all passed Phred around on the phone! LOL That's also the first time I ever had my toenails done. Kelly took me for a pedi so we showed up to that BBQ with nice toenails! LOL

I'm pretty sure the story of Bowser was my first exposure to forums and the first thing I read on PT. I then started stalking this mysterious man who talked funny and spent a few days going through all of his posts.

He added Rich as a friend on facebook and I told him the same thing that Amy told Corby, that he was my "other dad" wanting to keep tabs on him. And that he did! haha

I am really upset I didn't go to Findlay last Memorial Day. He kept insisting that I go, and would send me messages asking if I'd changed my mind. I should have went, Rich could have moved in to his apartment a day later.

He always insisted that I went to the meetings, and I'm very thankful for that. I'm glad I got the chance to meet and hang out with him. He called me 'The Blonde Kid' or 'Blondie' and was always encouraging and helpful no matter what I was going through.

He really was a sweet man and put others before himself. I can't wait for Phred's Memorial Memorial Day Gathering. I only wish he could be there too

I'm attempting to study for finals, but I'm enjoying reading this.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I'll miss Phred checking up on us when Cah Lee Fuh Nee Ah catches on fiur....

-----------------

What about dogs that like tomatoes?

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ghlight=maters

I messaged Phred on FB and hoped he was feeling better. This is the last message/post I ever read from him:

I've felt a lot better.
    Headed back to the hospital Friday ... probably to start dialysis.
    Happie "new" KatKid!
    That was November 4 at 11:06 am.

I wasn't sure he knew about Zoe, and am glad to read he did. I had sent him a Christmas card last week with the pics in it, but I doubt it got there in time.

He was solid, down to earth...and totally irreplaceable.

{{{hugz}}} to Phred...I hope he gets them.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My first visit to Findlay was a couple of years ago. We were early, just Phred and the dogs were there. I walked up to him and said my name was Grace. He immediately wrapped me in a bear hug.

Of course, I had read his tales of rescue - Bowser is my favorite.

He was one of a kind - that's for sure.

Phred was always thinking of the small details you or others would never consider. When my brother passed, by the time we got to the funeral home to make arrangements, he had already contacted them to make sure they would take care of arranging to have his apartment pre-cleaned before we went down. He called me in Toledo and suggested I contact the local PD to drive by and keep an eye on the house for fear of people reading obits and using it as opportunity to break in. (Probably called the PD himself!)

And during the visitation and funeral, he came to pay his respects, but mostly came to watch the dogs so we wouldn’t have to worry about them. Of course at the time, my sister was just moving home from Texas and had her 3, which I’m not sure if he had met (maybe once?) and my mom had Pippi as a new addition who was not used to strangers and especially men. But brave man he was, walked into an empty house full of 9 dogs, handing out treats and making friends. His description of Dakota (the Great Dane!) barking as she chomped her biscuits and Pippi eventually doing a flying leap into his lap to dig in his shirt pocket for more treats were priceless.

I can't find the thread about fire extinguishers, but I know it's out there somewhere. This is from a couple of years ago. We were discussing what to do if you have an old fire extinguisher and you aren't sure if it works anymore. I PM'd Phred for help. Of course Phred knew exactly what to do. He advised me to call the fire station first (i.e., don't just show up), and how to frame up my request.

I also have a couple of PMs where I asked him for the help of the Prayer Pups -- his one-word answer:
    ** DONE! **

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom

Phred, remember the thread about fire extinguishers? I took my little kitchen one to the fire department so they could check it out. (I called first and they said come on down) It was too old to be safe, so they kept it for discarding. That one was 10 years old, it was a housewarming gift. I went over to Home Depot and got a new one.

So thank you again for helping me figure that one out!
    Elyse
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    Better Safe than sorry!

But call the Fire Guys back up - tell 'em you want to
    "shoot off" the old one ... THEN they can toss it.

Glad some folks read my "stuff"!

/s/ Phred
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

These beautiful memories of Phred has me sobbing like a baby.

I remember the first time I met John. He was the life of the party and made the BEST chokochippee cookies (how however ya spell it!) EVER! He was the best cook too. Most fireman are!!

John was the epitome of a good friend. I loved going head to head with him. While we didn't always see eye-to-eye, he had a great sense of humor that made whatever it was causing you heartache go away. He always loved a good debate, too.

RIP sweet man. You had a lot of good friends who are gonna miss you!! I'm one of them. Be assured that your furfriends will be well cared for!

Thanks for starting this thread, Staci.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Oh my gosh i am in shock, i did not know Phred had passed away, i have been a bit absent from PT, i am so sad to read this, he was indeed a very special person, i loved reading his threads,and he was always so supportive to me and everyone, just reading this memorial thread, is amazing, i had no idea of the things you did for people, RIP dearest Phred, you are so very very much missed by me and everyone here.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Phred was Pet Talk's heroic knight in shining armor when it came to taking action on behalf of those in need. He was absolutely relentless when it came to gathering up needed information, checking on the status of situations and getting answers. His sincerity in his prayers and words of encouragement was so very pure and honest. In any crisis, you could not help but feel some relief and peace in your heart as you read his prayers, words of compassion and comfort towards both human and pet. With any loss, he was there, and he hurt along with you at your grief and loss.

When someone else was suffering a loss or hardship and I would check back for Phred's soothing words to whomever it may be, feeling some relief when he had because he had a special ability to bring comfort to those who are hurting. He was always ready to give of himself, I think that is what made him happiest.

I just can't seem to think anymore at the moment. He touched my life though I never met him in person. He must have touched hundreds of lives.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge