Thread: Pitbulls and parolees ect.

Pitbulls and parolees ect.

Anybody ever watch the show and notice that some of the dogs in the kennels look like german shorthair pointers? I've checked the website and all they have under adoption is pitties, but I wonder what the story is behind the pointers. Did they mistake them for pitties because of their liver flecking instead of the typical gsp colors?

On the same note, dogs 101 often has the wrong breed portrayed as they are talking. I watch it just for the humor of seeing how many times a show they mess up. Its kinda sad though that they are giving the public the wrong information.

And once on an animal cops show (Houston I think), they rescued a purebred pyrenees and mistook it for a st bernard. Not only did the spca mess up, but they gave it to a st bernard rescue and they also believed it was a saint when it was so very clear to me that it was a pyrenees. Red flag about that rescue!

Just wondering if anybody else watches for those kinds of blips and what you think about them.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I think that lady can't remember her name on Pit Bulls and Parolees is in over her head honestly. She has way too many dogs and can't realistically find them all homes and the show is more about her husband and her life than the dogs...
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I agree, the woman on P&P needs to learn about xanax and maybe consider getting the blue liquid out for a few. There are just too many dogs to correctly learn everything about how the dogs work or what special quirks each dog has. I've read the info on several of her dogs. Before you all go jumping at me for saying she should euth some maybe you should go read the info. Some of these dogs are sooo kennel crazed or have so many behavior problems they will never find a home. It's cruel to keep them in these kennels and throw food at them once or twice a day.

I haven't noticed any dogs101 mess ups. I have noticed that they use the worst quality dogs of the breeds!

I've seen so many shelters and rescues screw up on breeds I don't even bother contacting them and correcting them anymore. It is scarey when a breed specific rescue is even wrong about breed! I've seen a Dobe mistaken for a Weim. A Poodle for a Yorkie mix and my personal favorite...a harlequin Dane mistaken for a Dalmation! The shelters are there for help for primarily mutts and don't do a lot of breed research. I've found that most veternarians are horrible with breed info!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post

I've seen so many shelters and rescues screw up on breeds I don't even bother contacting them and correcting them anymore.

The shelters are there for help for primarily mutts and don't do a lot of breed research.
    These comments seem so sad to me, and somewhat misinformed. Why ever would you contact a shelter or rescue to correct them? I would imagine they are overworked, under paid, if not volunteer run outfits, barely making it to the next day, with the work they have in front of them. I would imagine correctly identifying the breed just isn't up there the same way avoiding PTS a dog is.

Shelters take many, many, many of our discarded pets..the ones we know longer want, the ones that 'run off', the ones that the pet shop or breeder won't take back. They aren't there primarily for PB OR mutts, they are there, primarily, to assist with the animals in the best way that they can. Why in God's name would a shelter do breed research at all? One isn't getting papers from them.

Every dog any one of us 'buys', be it from a breeder or a pet shop, means more likely than not, an animal in a rescue or shelter will die.

That is so flipping sad to me. It keeps me up at night, it makes me cry, and it makes me say a lot of prayers to God, asking for forgiveness for all the ones that aren't saved because of my "breed"- humans.

Say what you want of Pitbulls and Parolees, 101, whomever. They ARE doing a service, they ARE educating the public, they ARE raising awareness, and maybe it isn't a 100% hit on the mark all the time. It is a far cry better than any one of us is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    These comments seem so sad to me, and somewhat misinformed. Why ever would you contact a shelter or rescue to correct them? I would imagine they are overworked, under paid, if not volunteer run outfits, barely making it to the next day, with the work they have in front of them. I would imagine correctly identifying the breed just isn't up there the same way avoiding PTS a dog is.

Shelters take many, many, many of our discarded pets..the ones we know longer want, the ones that 'run off', the ones that the pet shop or breeder won't take back. They aren't there primarily for PB OR mutts, they are there, primarily, to assist with the animals in the best way that they can. Why in God's name would a shelter do breed research at all? One isn't getting papers from them.

Every dog any one of us 'buys', be it from a breeder or a pet shop, means more likely than not, an animal in a rescue or shelter will die.

That is so flipping sad to me. It keeps me up at night, it makes me cry, and it makes me say a lot of prayers to God, asking for forgiveness for all the ones that aren't saved because of my "breed"- humans.

Say what you want of Pitbulls and Parolees, 101, whomever. They ARE doing a service, they ARE educating the public, they ARE raising awareness, and maybe it isn't a 100% hit on the mark all the time. It is a far cry better than any one of us is doing.
    I very much agree.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I feel you kind of misunderstood me. I know rescues and shelters are very over worked and busy just trying to keep from euth dogs. I've worked with shelters and rescues for several years. I personally feel it is a very good thing to inform shelters about correct breeds and that shelter volunteers/employees should be encouraged to learn about dog breeds. I believe that if shelters were better educated about different breeds they would be more successful in giving out correct breed information to potential adopters. I also believe that if shelters were corrected more often there would be a greater rate of rescue to the correct group and they can be corrently listed on sites like Petfinder for the adopters looking for a specific breed.

I think you also misunderstood me when I said the shelters are more for mixed breeds. I was meaning that the majority of canines that find themselves inside shelters are mixed breeds. Not that mixed breeds are any less than purebreds.

I also never said that shows like Dogs 101 and Pitbulls & Parolees were not good. On Dogs 101, I wish that they would use dogs that correctly represent the breed they are educating on. But I watch and enjoy these shows.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I agree, P&P is quite an odd show. It has good intentions, but I can only watch the women on that show for so long. They need to come up with some new ideas. Instead of dog obedience I think that show could use a little bit of people obedience.